“Restive Getaway...but could have been better” 4 of 5 stars

Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel
30 Trevanion Rd, Taneytown, MD 21787   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Taneytown B&B and Inns
Tallaght, Ireland
“Restive Getaway...but could have been better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My dear husband surprised me for my 50+ birthday with a two night stay at the Antrim 1844 Country Inn. He was very careful in selecting a room that offered some nice amenities as well as privacy. The room he booked was in one of the many out-buildings located on the property. The room was billed as a suite, but it did not have a separate sitting area that typically comes with that designation, rather it had two some lounging chairs separated by a table at the foot of the bed. What the room did have was a very large jacuzzi style bathtub in a very spacious bathroom...that made up for the lack of a separate sitting area. The bed was extremely comfortable.

My husband booked one of the packaged deals which included the six-course dinner for one of the two nights and full breakfast,along with continental breakfast delivered to your room each morning. Here is what I liked, and what I think they need to improve. The six course dinner was good, not superb. The meal was over two hours long by the time we were served all the courses. By the time we got to the dessert course, I myself, was tired to sitting and eating, and I only ate the dessert because I didn't want it to go to waste. The Smokehouse restaurant ONLY serves this six course meal, so if you aren't in for a marathon dinner, you are SOL. Taneytown unfortunately does not offer any other viable eating options. The closest restaurant of any 'quality', is Gunner's Grill located three miles out of town. The food at Smokehouse was good, however, my entree was tepid at best, I would have sent it back but we will well past the 1.5 hour point and I know they would have just most likely microwaved it, so I opted to eat it as is. Plus my husband hates when I send food back and since it was his birthday treat I didn't want to make a fuss. My biggest disappointed was the breakfasts...they offered the same fare both days we were there, my husband and I opted for the big country breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs ( day twos were very dry and rubbery, small Belgium waffle, three potato casserole and a protein (ham one day, bacon the next). Before the waitress served our breakfast the second day, she said for us to be careful because the plates were very hot. Not a good sign, that could only mean the entire meal had been microwaved, and the eggs surely tasted like they had been. Not good. For the cost of the stay, I would have expected better. On the positive side, all the staff were very courteous and pleasant.

All in all..it was a pleasant stay, and am glad I had the chance to experience it, but I think there is some lack of quality control in the food, and I think the inn should provide other dining options other than the six course meal. They should also considering adding a day spa.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary here. The staff was extremely polite, courteous and aware of our special occasion. We stayed in the Boyd Room in the main house. The view of the manicured grounds from our room was beautiful. An earlier post stated the shower/tub was a little confusing and I agree. Just don't get under the shower until you got the temperature the way you want it. The country breakfast the next morning was outstanding and service was very pleasant and attentive.

Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here for a recent wedding and I wish I could say all nice things. The place is beautiful and provided a great backdrop for the wedding but unfortunately we had problems with our room. When we checked in we were told that the rest of our party had already checked in. When I asked about it, I was told that my brother was sharing the room wit us. It turned out that for some reason they put our nephew (not brother) in our room with us. I said that was not acceptable so they had to scramble and find another room for us. The room was so far away we had to drive! We were running late for the wedding and almost missed it because of their screw up. We did get to the wedding but were 15 minutes late and we were staying so far from everyone else. Not a great experience for us! I won't be returning anytime soon. I have no idea if they plan on charging us for 2 rooms or just the one since they did not give us anything when we checked out. The one we ended up in was cheaper than the one we booked 5 months ago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place has old world charm. We stayed in the Ice House for a weeknight get away and were not disappointed. It's a one room but bath is a bit separated by a wall with curtains it also has a large fireplace. We will be returning for a winter stay. If you go in the summer make sure you take the time to take in the gardens. Such a wonderful place to roam and sit. Listen to the fountain smell the roses. Im looking forward to our return with our kids. There are plenty of different rooms to choose Im also looking forward to sending my brother and sister in law for a post baby relaxing stay with a lovely dinner.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed in the Loft. It was really nice. Beautiful comfy hammock outside next to a creek. The bed was sooo comfortable. I loved the tea they brought down to me in the morning and the littlechocolates at night. I really enjoyed my stay

• Stayed May 2013
Crozet, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Staff very pleasant and helpful. The grounds/rooms were immaculate! Dinner and breakfast in their restaurant were tops! What a great place to unwind and be pampered! The nightly turndown service ( with fresh flowers and chocolates) was a special touch. The breakfast tray with muffins, fresh fruit and coffee arrived outside the room giving us a head start on the bigger breakfast. We will visit again!

• Stayed May 2013
Silver Spring MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This time we stayed in the Sleigh room, and are already making plans to be in this gorgeous room in the summer. It's in a little cottage away from the main house, and has a little stream that runs out the back, with a private deck and porch furniture. The room is beautiful and has a working fireplace and steam shower. You can't beat the breakfasts (you get two) and the food at dinner is always inventive and beautifully done, impeccably served. They have a for-real wine list, too, and nicely priced (from the gust perspective). The pre-dinner appetizers this time we scrumptious -- parmesan-salmon tarts and an awesome seared tuna. Both alone are reason to go back. The staff will make you want to stay an extra day.

Room Tip: Decide if you want to be in the mansion, or an out-building. You can read about the features of the...