“OK Room, Not worth full price, hit or miss @ restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   30 Trevanion Rd, Taneytown, MD 21787   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Taneytown B&B and Inns
Baltimore
“OK Room, Not worth full price, hit or miss @ restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I took an ex-girlfriend here for one of their promotion packages. The room was nice, nothing too modern or elegant, but nice. It was decorated in an old world style that seniors may enjoy more than me (I'm in my 20's). I love to eat out and was very excited about the meal that we were going to have at Antrim's renowned dining table.

It was OK. Just OK. I remember one dish I had a year later and I only remember it because it was a poor dish - some kind of slushie made with chablis that tasted very bland and was not good tasting. I'm sure the restaurant can shine but on this promotional weekend, it didn't. Hard to recommend to friends.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great spot for cozy get-away. Gettsburg nearby, quaint town to walk around. Many unique rooms with fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs. Cocktails and dinner were fantastic, service was top notch. Plan to return again

Room Tip: Choice of rooms, either in mansion or one of several outer buildings.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

last week we went to the Antrim Inn for our 11th annual visit...the place never disappoints....we have enjoyed staying in different rooms over the years...it would be hard to pick a favorite...they are all so interesting...we always look forward to the dinner (and breakfast the following morning)...such a treat...this has to be one of the very best inns in the U.S.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This will be one of two reviews I'll write about Antrim. Christmas there merits a review in and of itself. The pictures I've attached will tell the story better than my words. But here's the attempt: My wife's birthday is Dec 18. That combined with the fact that we are both traditional Christmas junkies has taken us to December overnight stays in Annapolis, MD, Longwood Gardens, PA, Mid-town Manhattan and Colonial Williamsburg. While all these stays are somewhat different from Antrim, none were better. Between exterior and interior decorations, music in the public spaces and the joyful contact with the staff our one night Antrim stay could not have been more merry. Make sure to do the dinner with room package. It affords a continuity to the complete Inn experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgewood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This place is spectacular. The grounds are beautiful. There are several other houses on the main property besides the mansion so there are many rooms that you can chose from. They serve a 6 course meal at their restaurant however; we chose not to eat there but from what I heard the meal was very good. They serve hot hors d'oeuvres in the main mansion in the evening. They have a cute little pub which is nice and cozy. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They had turn down service where they left a rose a chocolates on our pillows. Our room was beautiful we stayed in the Abraham Lincoln suite in the Slonaker House. The bathroom was huge it was almost the same size as the room. There was a nice 2 person jacuzzi and a corner shower in the bathroom. The room also featured a gas fireplace which was very nice. They delivered a breakfast tray in the morning which consisted of muffins, fruit, and hot tea or coffee. They offered a hot breakfast in the restaurant from 8:30 to 10:00 which was fabulous. The wait staff was very friendly and professional. I will definitely stay here again and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a nice play to stay go here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pasadena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

A family member was getting married here so we decided to stay rather than drive home. We ended up in the Safari Suite at a cost of $290. Generally, everything about the place was okay but certainly not worth the price or the reputation. Little things that we expect for this price just weren't there. For instance there were two small thin pillows on the bed. That's one of those things we just expect from a B&B, a pile of big pillows on the bed. Our room appeared to not have been updated in the 20 years the place has been open. The carpet had stains all over it and the bathroom showed its age. One particularly annoying thing was the lack of climate control. The fireplace was nice but after 10 minutes the room was too hot even with windows open. The food wasn't any more impressive than the room. Our continental breakfast tray was a carafe of coffee, two thin orange slices, one blackberry, one raspberry and two dry muffins that literally each had two blueberries in them. I told my wife I felt like I was on one of those reality shows where the guy comes into an old, outdated inn and fixes it up. 20 years ago it was probably a great place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

First let me start by saying that we had a great time at our friends wedding here and it was a beautiful place to hold a function. The food and drink was great at the reception. When we arrived at the "hotel" the front dest staff was not very accomidating and did not follow through with my wife and I. We were arriving for a 4pm wedding at it was a little after 1pm. We asked if it was possible to check in and we were told sorry check in is at 3pm and she took our breakfast order. I asked if she could please call my wife when our room was ready because we were attending the wedding and she took her cell number. I work in the industry so I can understand not having a room ready but I would have at least called housekeeping to check if we could get a guest in early. We were a little concerned that we wouldn't have enough time to get ready so we were able to connect with some friends to get things organized in their room since they arrived the day before and were staying in the house next to ours. It was now 2:45pm and I called the front desk and I asked if our room was close and they said immediatly check in is at 3pm and the person was very short with me. I again expressed my concern and asked if they would please call us as soon as it was ready and they said they would. Being a little frustrated I walked back over to our friends room and out of curiousity I went into the house where we were staying and met very nice housekeeper. I asked her if our room was ready and she walked over to it and unlocked it and stated "the person that was supposed to stay here didn't check in last night". (There was some noticable dust in the bathroom area but overall a pretty clean room) The room had been completely ready the whole time. She remade the bed from the previous nights turndown service and I asked her if it was ok if she left it unlocked and I would be back with my wife to get ready. She allowed us to do this. We prepared quickly for the wedding and made it just in time to see the ceremony at 3:50pm. On my way to the ceremony I went to the front desk at the mansion and asked for my key. They front desk clerk I talked to on the phone looked at me puzzled and I told him that our room was ready the whole time we were waiting and I was not happy. He handed me the key and went on to answer the phone in front of me so I headed to the wedding. To think this could have all been avoided with either a call to their housekeeping, a call to us, or just better management. Others with this wedding party had similar experiences when dealing with check in/room problems and for the rate they charge I expected a much better run place. To top it off they wouldn't charge the card we used when making the reservation for the balance of the stay when we checked out in the morning. I handed the card over to the same front desk associate that we had upon our arrival the day before. She couldn't get the card to scan so she manually put it in, then announced that it was declined to the whole lobby. She then told me that she could just charge the card on file (which was attached to the same account and I was previously told was against hotel policy). She had me sign and she stapled my reservation to the recipt then immediatly turned away to work with another guest, no thanks for staying or have a nice day. Wow!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!