“The best B&B I have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars

Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   30 Trevanion Rd, Taneytown, MD 21787   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Taneytown B&B and Inns
Edgewood, Maryland
“The best B&B I have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This place is spectacular. The grounds are beautiful. There are several other houses on the main property besides the mansion so there are many rooms that you can chose from. They serve a 6 course meal at their restaurant however; we chose not to eat there but from what I heard the meal was very good. They serve hot hors d'oeuvres in the main mansion in the evening. They have a cute little pub which is nice and cozy. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They had turn down service where they left a rose a chocolates on our pillows. Our room was beautiful we stayed in the Abraham Lincoln suite in the Slonaker House. The bathroom was huge it was almost the same size as the room. There was a nice 2 person jacuzzi and a corner shower in the bathroom. The room also featured a gas fireplace which was very nice. They delivered a breakfast tray in the morning which consisted of muffins, fruit, and hot tea or coffee. They offered a hot breakfast in the restaurant from 8:30 to 10:00 which was fabulous. The wait staff was very friendly and professional. I will definitely stay here again and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a nice play to stay go here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Pasadena
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

A family member was getting married here so we decided to stay rather than drive home. We ended up in the Safari Suite at a cost of $290. Generally, everything about the place was okay but certainly not worth the price or the reputation. Little things that we expect for this price just weren't there. For instance there were two small thin pillows on the bed. That's one of those things we just expect from a B&B, a pile of big pillows on the bed. Our room appeared to not have been updated in the 20 years the place has been open. The carpet had stains all over it and the bathroom showed its age. One particularly annoying thing was the lack of climate control. The fireplace was nice but after 10 minutes the room was too hot even with windows open. The food wasn't any more impressive than the room. Our continental breakfast tray was a carafe of coffee, two thin orange slices, one blackberry, one raspberry and two dry muffins that literally each had two blueberries in them. I told my wife I felt like I was on one of those reality shows where the guy comes into an old, outdated inn and fixes it up. 20 years ago it was probably a great place.

Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

First let me start by saying that we had a great time at our friends wedding here and it was a beautiful place to hold a function. The food and drink was great at the reception. When we arrived at the "hotel" the front dest staff was not very accomidating and did not follow through with my wife and I. We were arriving for a 4pm wedding at it was a little after 1pm. We asked if it was possible to check in and we were told sorry check in is at 3pm and she took our breakfast order. I asked if she could please call my wife when our room was ready because we were attending the wedding and she took her cell number. I work in the industry so I can understand not having a room ready but I would have at least called housekeeping to check if we could get a guest in early. We were a little concerned that we wouldn't have enough time to get ready so we were able to connect with some friends to get things organized in their room since they arrived the day before and were staying in the house next to ours. It was now 2:45pm and I called the front desk and I asked if our room was close and they said immediatly check in is at 3pm and the person was very short with me. I again expressed my concern and asked if they would please call us as soon as it was ready and they said they would. Being a little frustrated I walked back over to our friends room and out of curiousity I went into the house where we were staying and met very nice housekeeper. I asked her if our room was ready and she walked over to it and unlocked it and stated "the person that was supposed to stay here didn't check in last night". (There was some noticable dust in the bathroom area but overall a pretty clean room) The room had been completely ready the whole time. She remade the bed from the previous nights turndown service and I asked her if it was ok if she left it unlocked and I would be back with my wife to get ready. She allowed us to do this. We prepared quickly for the wedding and made it just in time to see the ceremony at 3:50pm. On my way to the ceremony I went to the front desk at the mansion and asked for my key. They front desk clerk I talked to on the phone looked at me puzzled and I told him that our room was ready the whole time we were waiting and I was not happy. He handed me the key and went on to answer the phone in front of me so I headed to the wedding. To think this could have all been avoided with either a call to their housekeeping, a call to us, or just better management. Others with this wedding party had similar experiences when dealing with check in/room problems and for the rate they charge I expected a much better run place. To top it off they wouldn't charge the card we used when making the reservation for the balance of the stay when we checked out in the morning. I handed the card over to the same front desk associate that we had upon our arrival the day before. She couldn't get the card to scan so she manually put it in, then announced that it was declined to the whole lobby. She then told me that she could just charge the card on file (which was attached to the same account and I was previously told was against hotel policy). She had me sign and she stapled my reservation to the recipt then immediatly turned away to work with another guest, no thanks for staying or have a nice day. Wow!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Antrim Country House Hotel in November 2012. We took advantage of the $140 per person special package that included a room for the two of us and extraordinary 6 course meals.
The room was in a separate house and was an easy walk from the mansion. The bathroom was at least as big as the bedroom and included a gas fireplace, a 2 person whirlpool bath, and a shower. The amenities were top-notch. The towels and robes were luxurious. We had our own climate control and a TV. WI-FI kept me in touch with work and the happenings of the world. The entire enterprise struck us as unusually clean. We could not have asked for more.
The dining experience began with hors d'oeuvres that included delightful morsels made of fried mac-n-cheese, duck pastries, chicken pastries, and seared tuna. This was served in the parlors. The ambiance was subdued with fine paintings, fireplaces and Bach playing in the background.
Each couple was then led to the Smokehouse restaurant in the basement. We chose from a menu that actually had our name on it! We had choices for the appetizers that ranged from fruit, sirloin with mushroom and horseradish, foie gras a la torchon, veloute of butternut squash, and fried oysters. We can attest that the the foie gras and oysters were excellent. A tasty venison tidbit was then followed by a salad. Sorbet cleansed the pallet in the interim. 5 entrees included vegetarian and filet meals. Others were veal, salmon, and venison dishes. Desert was a shared dish of mousse, apple pastry and other sweet treats.
Above all, was the service was superb. The individuals were all splendid but the choreography of the presentation made the evening delightful.
Well done! We will return!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms in the mansion required climbing many steps. The outer buildings are not far and t...
Lutherville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

On the Saturday before the storm my wife and I were scheduled to go to St. Michaels for her birthday. At 11:00 AM the Inn called and cancelled us because of the impending storm and the anticipated water and power carnage on the Eastern Shore. Because we knew we were a lock to lose power as well, we started to look at where we could go for her birthday and ride out the storm with power.

Last year we celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Antrim 1844 and talked about staying there. I called and spoke to John who advised that although they do not have generators, they did not lose power in the last storm (we were out for 8 days). He was gracious enough to give us the Fall Special that included dining for all three nights.

We stayed in the Robert E. Lee room and it was spacious and comfortable. Although it lacked a television, we had one in the common area; and since we had the building to ourselves, there were no disagreements about who controlled the remote. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and left my wife a rose each night and chocolate for each of us. I was not upset about not getting a rose for myself.

The two dinners were insane. The staff and kitchen recognized that we were there more than one night and gave us a different salad and intermezzo the second night than what was on the menu. Breakfast was as good as any we have ever eaten. Dinner for the third night was different. Because we were the only ones in the Inn, they needed to close but told us to stay without charge. They brought us trays of cheese, finger food, and deserts. They gave us dinner ideas and we picked up sandwiches and sat back and enjoyed the food and the fact that we had power.

The next morning our tray of pastries and coffees was outside the door as it had been the last two mornings. I called over and was informed they brought the breakfast cook in just to make breakfast for us. We dined in the area overlooking the garden. It was the same way the original owner must have dined, except there is no way their breakfast was better.

As we finished breakfast we were informed that because we might be out of power when we got home (it was on), would we mind if they packed us a boxed lunch. It turned out to be my boxed dinner that night and it was delicious.

This is as fine a place as you can stay. My wife read me a review from someone who has been to 50 different Inns and said this was their favorite and they have stopped looking for anything better. I don't need to try the other 50 places. There is the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels and there is Antrim 1844. When we want to cross the Bay Bridge and go to the water, we will go to St. Michaels. When we want to get away locally or celebrate a special occasion, we now go to Antrim 1844.

The next trip will be to take my in-laws for dinner and a night stay over so they can enjoy it fully. I am waiting for the Fall Schedule to open so we can celebrate my wife's birthday there again.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms on-line and choose the one that meets your needs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Let me start by saying, that my husband and I have stayed at many B&B's. We decided to stay at the Antrim 1844 in celebration of my birthday this year. We stayed in the Grant Suite which is the most expensive room on the property. The room was just so, so. The sitting room was very chilly and not useable so really a waste. Overall, I think this place is ok accommodation wise, however, it totally fails to impress from a cuisine aspect and one is limited with dining options being that it is a small town. The six course dinner was not worth the price....a fine restaurant will ask you if you mind if the filet mignon is butterflied. That was not the case and on top of that the filet was just not good quality as was the other food that was served. Breakfast was even worst. How can you screw up eggs? Sorry, Antrim, many other choices in the registery of Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a very lovely hotel and event venue. Decor is fabulous and the grounds are very well maintained. Waitstaff and general workers were pleasant and helpful. Meals were delicious
with good sized servings. The lower rating is the result of lapses in managerial follow through.
The wonderful extravagance of a continental breakfast is terrific. This is usually left outside the rooms @ 8:00 am. We were departing at 7 am and told the person at the front desk. We were assured that our plate would be left by 7, so took our time packing the car. We finally left our room at 7:10. On our way out we met the worker who was bringing the breakfast trays...only to be told that not only did she NOT have our tray...she had been told that we'd already checked out. So she would not be able to give us a tray of muffins and fruit to take along with us, although she had at least 4 with her on the cart.
Needless to say, we were disappointed. We were also told that the morning coverage at the front desk began at 6 am....so when we went to return the key...the door to the office was locked. We then had to track someone down so we could turn in our key. Small glitches, but because they occurred during our final morning there we were left disappointed with our experience there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!