“We were the only people who enjoyed Hurricane Sandy” 5 of 5 stars

Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   30 Trevanion Rd, Taneytown, MD 21787   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Taneytown B&B and Inns
Lutherville, Maryland
“We were the only people who enjoyed Hurricane Sandy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

On the Saturday before the storm my wife and I were scheduled to go to St. Michaels for her birthday. At 11:00 AM the Inn called and cancelled us because of the impending storm and the anticipated water and power carnage on the Eastern Shore. Because we knew we were a lock to lose power as well, we started to look at where we could go for her birthday and ride out the storm with power.

Last year we celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Antrim 1844 and talked about staying there. I called and spoke to John who advised that although they do not have generators, they did not lose power in the last storm (we were out for 8 days). He was gracious enough to give us the Fall Special that included dining for all three nights.

We stayed in the Robert E. Lee room and it was spacious and comfortable. Although it lacked a television, we had one in the common area; and since we had the building to ourselves, there were no disagreements about who controlled the remote. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and left my wife a rose each night and chocolate for each of us. I was not upset about not getting a rose for myself.

The two dinners were insane. The staff and kitchen recognized that we were there more than one night and gave us a different salad and intermezzo the second night than what was on the menu. Breakfast was as good as any we have ever eaten. Dinner for the third night was different. Because we were the only ones in the Inn, they needed to close but told us to stay without charge. They brought us trays of cheese, finger food, and deserts. They gave us dinner ideas and we picked up sandwiches and sat back and enjoyed the food and the fact that we had power.

The next morning our tray of pastries and coffees was outside the door as it had been the last two mornings. I called over and was informed they brought the breakfast cook in just to make breakfast for us. We dined in the area overlooking the garden. It was the same way the original owner must have dined, except there is no way their breakfast was better.

As we finished breakfast we were informed that because we might be out of power when we got home (it was on), would we mind if they packed us a boxed lunch. It turned out to be my boxed dinner that night and it was delicious.

This is as fine a place as you can stay. My wife read me a review from someone who has been to 50 different Inns and said this was their favorite and they have stopped looking for anything better. I don't need to try the other 50 places. There is the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels and there is Antrim 1844. When we want to cross the Bay Bridge and go to the water, we will go to St. Michaels. When we want to get away locally or celebrate a special occasion, we now go to Antrim 1844.

The next trip will be to take my in-laws for dinner and a night stay over so they can enjoy it fully. I am waiting for the Fall Schedule to open so we can celebrate my wife's birthday there again.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms on-line and choose the one that meets your needs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Let me start by saying, that my husband and I have stayed at many B&B's. We decided to stay at the Antrim 1844 in celebration of my birthday this year. We stayed in the Grant Suite which is the most expensive room on the property. The room was just so, so. The sitting room was very chilly and not useable so really a waste. Overall, I think this place is ok accommodation wise, however, it totally fails to impress from a cuisine aspect and one is limited with dining options being that it is a small town. The six course dinner was not worth the price....a fine restaurant will ask you if you mind if the filet mignon is butterflied. That was not the case and on top of that the filet was just not good quality as was the other food that was served. Breakfast was even worst. How can you screw up eggs? Sorry, Antrim, many other choices in the registery of Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a very lovely hotel and event venue. Decor is fabulous and the grounds are very well maintained. Waitstaff and general workers were pleasant and helpful. Meals were delicious
with good sized servings. The lower rating is the result of lapses in managerial follow through.
The wonderful extravagance of a continental breakfast is terrific. This is usually left outside the rooms @ 8:00 am. We were departing at 7 am and told the person at the front desk. We were assured that our plate would be left by 7, so took our time packing the car. We finally left our room at 7:10. On our way out we met the worker who was bringing the breakfast trays...only to be told that not only did she NOT have our tray...she had been told that we'd already checked out. So she would not be able to give us a tray of muffins and fruit to take along with us, although she had at least 4 with her on the cart.
Needless to say, we were disappointed. We were also told that the morning coverage at the front desk began at 6 am....so when we went to return the key...the door to the office was locked. We then had to track someone down so we could turn in our key. Small glitches, but because they occurred during our final morning there we were left disappointed with our experience there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ruther Glen, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I can say without reservation that Antrim 1844 is one of the nicest Antebellum hotel/resturant properties in America. This elegant home was built in 1844 and has been carefully maintained as a classic of American architecture from that period. A number of the outbuildings have been transformed into very special guest accomodations, and the grounds are simply beautiful.

I can't believe that I'd never heard about Antrim 1844, until, we attended a wedding there last weekend. The staff provided a superlatively catered dinner , bar service and country breakfast the next day. Their French Toast was the best I've ever eaten.

Their intimate Pickwick Pub is delightful, and each of their guest suites are beautiful.

For those near Washington DC, Antrim offers the possibility of an absolutely elegant getaway at a very special place. (Hint: mid week rates are bargains.)

I am not easily impressed, but, Antrim 1844 is where my wife and I will spend our next wedding anniversary. It's that special! I'm looking forward to an evening cognac next to the fireplace in their pub:)

I'd rate Antrim at 6 stars, and I'm difficult to please.

Room Tip: This property is so special, that I'd recommend calling Antrim and telling the staff what you ar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at the Antrim for a girls' weekend away and enjoyed every minute we were there. The front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful or courteous when we were looking for places to eat or things to do. The rooms were beautifully decorated in period furniture and were spotlessly clean with an evening turn-down service that left us with a rose and chocolates. The food was exceptional both in quality and quantity and was served by a wonderfully knowledgable and polite staff. It was a wonderful time from start to finish!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My second trip to the Antrim and both times have been wonderful. The atmosphere, grounds, and dinning were all fantastic. It is always so much more than a meal at the Antrim, it is a true experience. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have dined at this inn many times for special occasions but this was the first time we have ever stayed overnight. The property is truly unique in it's historic origins and comfortable but beautiful renovation/restorations. We stayed in the Boucher suite, a group of rooms that included two bathrooms, two balconys, and a four poster bed with feather mattress and down pillows...beautiful and elegant! One bathroom included double sinks, a large whirlpool tub, a bidet and was the largest bathroom imaginable. Such fun!

Dinner at the inn is always special like being a guest in someone's home, beginning in the double parlor with drinks and passed hors d'ouvres, usually a piano player, sometimes a fire in the fireplace. The five course dinners are planned by the chef and have always been delicious with a choice of entree. This is one our favorite special occasion places.

The "Chef's Country Breakfast" which was a part of our overnight stay was very disappointing. None if it tasted freshly made and like it came from a mix or package or on a cheap buffet. Very surprising and unacceptable for an otherwise lovely experience.

The grounds are lovely in the spring and summer and the Christmas decor is always just great making dinner here at that time of year a holiday highlight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Antrim 1844 Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!