“A Refreshing, Intimate Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Takoma Park
Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast
703 New York Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20910   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Takoma Park B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“A Refreshing, Intimate Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Based on the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked two nights at the Etta Mae Inn on March 12 and 13 and was delighted that I did. I believe this Inn is a real treasure find. It's intimate with currently only two guest rooms. Because of the Inn's popularity, the owner, Francoise, is planning to add a third guest room. The Inn itself is set on a large property well back from the road in a quiet, safe neighborhood. The bed in my room was incredibly comfortable. I go to bed early and I appreciated what a sound sleep I had both nights. As others have mentioned, the heated marble floor in the bathroom was wonderful. The breakfasts were delicious and served individually at the time the guests request. On the days I were there breakfast included fresh fruit (cantelope) two juices, bacon and eggs made to order, gourmet muffins, special jams and jellies, and coffee or tea plus cereal if one chose. One day (after it stopped raining) I chose to walk to the Takoma Park Metro Station which took me about 20 minutes through beautiful neighborhoods. (I understand the Silver Spring Metro is even closer but I already knew the way to Takoma Park) From there, the Metro ride to Union Station and the Mall was only another 20 minutes. As a solo traveler, I appreciated that Francoise was there to greet me both evenings. She is friendly without being intrusive and made me feel very welcome. Her dog Haley never barked and her cats were unobtrusive (and never allowed into guest rooms.) Her Inn provides a wonderful respite and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Takoma Park, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

I stayed at the Etta Mae Inn for several weeks over the course of 2009 while I was in the DC area for business and at the end of the year--Francoise & her inn became my "home away from home." The days started out great with a wonderful breakfast and after a long day of work, I would be welcomed into the Etta Mae with a warm smile, fun conversation and glass of wine. The home is gracious and old-fashioned with loving attention paid to high-end detail in the bedrooms and bathrooms. I felt very much at home in this animal and family-friendly atmosphere and would highly recommend The Etta Mae Inn to anyone who was looking for a lovely place to stay --that won't break the bank AND is incredibly located--in the DC area.

Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Takoma Park, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

For the last seven years, we've had all of our extended family stay at the Etta Mae when they visit and they've all really enjoyed their time there. It's right in our neighborhood, which is quiet and quaint but very convenient to D.C. (metro a 5 minute walk) and Silver Spring. The house is lovely, the yard and porch relaxing, Francoise's breakfasts super yummy, and the rooms very comfortable. It's a very welcoming place where you can feel immediately right at home. Our whole family heartily recommends it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Flat Rock, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

The Etta Mae Inn is a charming place with a warm and friendly feel, credit the owner, Francoise de Reeper, for the ambiance . The rooms are very nice and comfortable and the rate is very reasonable. The breakfasts are well prepared and filling. I greatly enjoyed myself during my stay from Dec 30 to Jan 3. Ms de Reeper is a wonderful hostess and I especially liked the impromptu discussions among the guests and Ms de Reeper in the late evenings. I rank the overall experience very highly, and I am looking forward to my next visit. Robert Cashner, Flat Rock, NC

Robert

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

The Inn is run by a lovely European woman who makes you feel welcome from the moment you enter the door. The food was great and the company was excellent, the house has a very warm and friendly atmosphere. I came to see my brother in Silver Spring, which is very short walk from the Inn. Now that I know about the Etta Mae, I'll definitely be coming down to visit my brother more often.

Do be warned however that the Inn is also a daycare for a few children, in the middle of the day it can be messy. The babies are adorable though, and very friendly.

There are also a couple cats and a dog, so anyone with allergies should know. However, it is obvious the animals never enter any of the guest bedrooms, I have allergies to cats and during my stay I didn't have a single problem with it, not anywhere in the house.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Very welcoming owner, professionally run by a European, elegant without being stuffy. Everytime I think of staying anywhere else near DC, I begin to lust after the heated marble floor in the well equipped bathrooms and the dead quiet rooms. Breakfasts made to order. Lovely wrap around porch set way back from the road with plenty of comfortable seating offsets the slightly odd location adjacent to Montgomery County College, wood stove in the central hall to warm your toes in winter. Television in bedrooms only. Short drive or walkable to Metro Red Line, safe area. Like best: diverse and repeat clientele, creature comforts, service, privacy: makes me feel like I'm living beyond my means at a very affordable price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

My wife and I have visited Takoma Park several times over the years, and we have never been happy with that town's accommodations until we stayed at the Etta Mae Inn. Francoise made us feel more welcome than we have felt at any B&B we have tried anywhere, and we have been to some nice ones. The Victorian house has been well furnished with period furniture and other bric-a-brac, and the bedroom was cozy and comfortable. It was a wonderful cocoon to return to after fighting DC traffic. I took a bunch of photographs of the interior, and one of the best pencil sketches I have ever made was of the resident feline, Cinnamon. Did some pretty bad sketches of Francoise and her friends too.

We stay at B&B's so that we can have a bit of local color and human contact at our base of operations, and we found plenty of that at the Etta Mae.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Etta Mae Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!