“Spur of the moment stay in Solomon's Island” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Solomons
Fairfax
“Spur of the moment stay in Solomon's Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I took a spur-of-the-moment day trip down to Southern Maryland, to go to the Hughesville Flea Market, and then to stop off at Lusby that evening to see a friend of his play with his band at Jake & Al's Chophouse. Over dinner that evening, we decided to stay overnight so we wouldn't have to drive home in the wee hours. We took a chance on getting a room at the last minute but the folks at the Holiday Inn could not have been any more accommodating. Becca, at the front desk was great! We were able to get a king room at a great rate, which she knocked down $10.00. Then we I remembered I was a member of the Priority Club, but under a different last name, and address, she took the time to locate my account, gave us a "goody bag" of snacks, and also a coupon for a free cocktail at the bar during our stay. When we entered our room we were pleasantly surprised by the sheer size of the room, the amazing shower massager, the comfort of the king size bed, and the view of the marina and the water from our room. We are definitely planning on returning in the very near future. It's a great place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
jdshepherd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Holiday Inn Conference Center and Marina. We appreciate the positive feedback and look forward to your next stay with us while visiting Southern Maryland. Jeffrey D. Shepherd, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
newtown ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Beautiful Property very reasonable. Close to Sain Marys college of Md the third Best Public honors college in the state of Maryland.

We always enjoyed our stays there visitning our son at school and watching the baseball team.
The staff at the holiday inn the GM Rich and the banquet manager jeff shepard have always made our stay exceptional . The rooms are beautiful clean and the newly renovate carpets really make it nice. I would highly reccomend this property. The sun rises early morning avove the sailboats are magnificent. The resteraunt in prem is very good and the our=t door marina is lovely.
Thank you for the wonderful memories. Our son will be graduating soon.
Thanks again

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for allowing us to be part of your family while your son attended St. Mary’s College of Maryland. We are delighted to be part of your memories and wish your son the best as he moves onto the next part of his life. It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future. Again thank you, Jeffrey D Shepherd, General Manager
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I attended a concert recently at the Calvert Marine Museum with a few coworkers and we had overnight accomodations at the Holiday Inn Solomons Island. Check in was a breeze - I was given a "Snack Bag", which came in handy at midnight! Our room had a panoramic view of the water and boats docked at the marina. It was a very hot weekend, and our room was very cool and comfortable. We had a small balcony that overlooked the musician's playing in the atrium by the pool - it was like our own private concert. The bathroom was roomy and very clean. I was very impressed with the Wolfgang Puck coffee that was provided and the coffee maker was top notch for a hotel room. The beds were amazingly cozy, too. If you're lucky enough to have a room on the southeast side on the top floor of the hotel, the sunrise is amazing over the water. The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to the Solomons Pier and Calvert Marine Museum. There is a shuttle service that take you back and forth if needed, too. I look forward to returning to Solomons in the fall and staying at the Holiday Inn once again. Thanks for a great weekend getaway!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the southeast side have a water view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our property. We are proud sponsors of the Calvert Marine Museum summer concert series and appreciate that you chose the Holiday Inn Solomon’s for your stay. We look forward to your return. Jeffrey D. Shepherd, General Manger
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We had a marvelous Saturday-night stay for a wedding. The front desk staff did a fine job on our arrival and on our leaving. The room was clean. The bed was good. Food at the reception dinner was very good. Looking out at the water with all the boats was very serene. Of course, it didn't hurt that the weather was picture post-card perfect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
jdshepherd, General Manager at Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your postive review of your stay experience at the Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina. We appricate you taking the time to do complete the review and will communicate your experience with our entire team.

Again thank you,
Jeffrey D. Shepherd
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is fine, nice outdoor pool, and clean rooms. I will probably stay again because I love the area but had a horrible experience. The staff is really clueless and the managers also. The girl who checked me in admitted she had no clue what she was doing and instead of asking for help she charged my card for the room even after I told her I already paid online. When I asked to speak to the manager he blew me off, saying she tried to reverse the charge and it was only pending. I called my bank and they looked in the visa system and no one ever tried to reverse it. I called back about the charge and the manager was apathetic and seemed unsure how to fix the double charge. This hotel needs to hire people who know what they are doing and have customer service skills.

• Stayed May 2012
I would first like to apologize for your recent billing issue while staying with us. We have very specific policies and procudures as it relates to our credit card and billing system. We will review these procudures and our training processes of these poredures with our entire guest service team. This will out them in a position to better assist any guest with this issue in the future.

Again I apologize,
jeffrey D. Shepherd
Franklin, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We booked a one night stay with this Hotel on line, being it was fairly close to Arlington. We booked May 3 2012 for May 19 2012. I had to cancel this reservation as other family members had made other plans for our stay. I called the hotel direct the evening of May 14, the one lady I spoke with told me no problem . I asked her if the reservation number that the holiday site gave me would be the same Number and she told me Yes. This week our Master Card statement arrived with their bills of 149.84. I called them right away and the man I spoke to said he would have to run this by his super. He called us back and said that being as if we booked it on line it was non refundable.So being as if we did not read the fine print after the reservation was booked we are out of luck.What a rip off to all of us. So after coming back from a funeral at Arlington , what a way to treat a sailors family in time of grief.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I would first like to apologize for your expierence with our reservations team. We do have very specific policies as it relates to our Adavance purchase on line reservations and confirmations. I assure you that it was certainly not our intended to have a negative impact on you and your family during your time of grief. My father is buried in Arlington and certainly understand the effect we may have had. I have sent you a message and hope to discuss this with you further. Again I apologize.
Jeffrey D. Shepherd
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My 81 yr old Mother and I checked in on May 19th. There were no luggage carts, we inquired, and were simply told "people leave them in their rooms". there was no line of check-ins or outs. No one offered to help my limping self, or my frail mother. My room bathroom smelled as if the toilet had not been cleaned. These rooms are quite plain, tho very spacious and comfortable furniture. The king bed was very comfy. The coffee made in the room was excellent. The view was poor because tree branches came up to the building, a simple tree trim would open up a view and reduce the possibility of squirrels entering thru the tiny crack that you can open the window. This hotel has the space and possibility of greatness and comfort, but is less than ordinary. They pre-charged my card an extra 25 dollars for "potential incidentals", which I never authorized, which they removed after I called them. Again, I never authorized the charge. I think this is illegal unless they notify you. They did honor my federal discount for leisure travel, which is good, since every hotel and motel in the area does, but in general, they do not do this. In a nutshell: overpriced, undercleaned, poor service, but comfortable. ps: GREAT crabcakes in the restaurant and superb service in the restaurant.

Room Tip: the higher up you go, the brighter. ask for a room on the parking lot side if you like light, the c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I would first like to apologize for your experience at our poperty, our response to your request for a luggage is cart is not appropriate and a more approprate response whould have been to simply help you with your luggage. We do have policies and procuders in place at it relates to our 25.00 approval on Debit card apporvals and will review those with our entire guest servcie team. For the safety of all of our guests we do have window stops on all windows that allow them to only open a small amount. Due to local estuary and envirmental laws with our closeness to the water we are not allowed to do certain things to our trees. I appriciate your postive comments as it relates to Isaac's Restaurant and Pub. I once had a guest tell me he was waiting for Isaac's to open because we had the best Crab Cakes ins the area and wanted to bring some to relitives in Washington DC. Again I Aplogize and hope in the future you will give us another oppurtunity to show our true Southern Maryland Hospitality.
Jeffrey D. Shepherd,

Been to Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina? Share your experiences!