“Comfort Inn Beacon Marina: Felt like Family” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solomons
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Comfort Inn Beacon Marina: Felt like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Melanie Morlack, General Manager
255 Lore Road
Solomons, Maryland, 20688
September 9, 2012

RE: Confirmation Number- 50962743
Dear Ms. Morlack:

I wanted to express my appreciation for the superior service I received during my stay at the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina during the Labor day weekend. In particular, Ms. Terrell White was extremely exceptional and deserves a great deal of praise for her genuine customer service.
On Sunday September 2, 2012, a friend and I decided to take spontaneous trip with our children. We were looking to get away somewhere on the Eastern Shore and do something fun, relaxing, and “family-like” (since we do not have a lot of family). We were surprised to find a hotel available on such a short notice and for a very inexpensive price. Once we book our 1-night stay at the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, we threw together our bags and hit the road (not knowing what to expect being that it would be our first time to the area).
Driving up to the hotel, we became extremely excited as it seemed like we made a good choice. The weather was beautiful and the hotel location was in a great area. It was quite and set back from the main street and right off the waterfront. When we arrived at the hotel check in counter, we encountered an extremely friendly, professional and knowledgeable employee, Ms. White. She welcomed us to Choice Hotel, quickly checked us in and gave us a room with a nice waterfront view. She told us to relax and make ourselves comfortable. Our children were hungry and anxious and she quickly made them feel comfortable. She then escorted us around the hotel and asked if we needed any additional accommodations. Next she recommended a great seafood restaurant and placed our order for pick-up. Before leaving the desk, she inquired about our plans and provided us with maps and information on local attractions for families.
Once we arrived in the rooms, to our surprise, the room was exceptionally clean and the room temperature was perfect! The room was properly stocked with towels and toiletries. In addition, the room was very spacious and the mattress was very comfortable and had a Large Flat screen LCD TV and free wireless internet access. Without request, extra towels were immediately sent to the room since we had children. Once we settled in, we went to pick-up our food order. Upon return, Ms. White had already begun preparing wet towels for eating seafood, pool towels, extra cups, utensils and condiments for us. She then directed us the picnic/pier/ pool area and our night was wonderful!! She was exceptional!!

The great service we were received was not exclusive to us. While getting coffee and using the computer, I witnessed her give equal personable attention and exceptional service to others, using proper etiquette on the phone and in person, immaculate uniform, extremely playful with children in the hotel, politely turning down “gifts” from frequent guest, helping people beyond her job description, multitasking by straining the lobby and breakfast area. I also witnessed the maintenance person, Tobi being very professional and friendly. The environment was soothing, the folks that we encountered were pleasant, and the entire experience was pleasing, but it wouldn’t have been the same without employees like Ms. White.

The next morning, we enjoyed a really nice breakfast served in the lobby area that included, “make your own” fresh waffles, fresh fruit, bagels, doughnuts, eggs and sausage, juice and hot beverages. The desk clerk was also very courteous by extending the breakfast hour due to the Labor Day holiday.

Our experience was not that of a chain-hotel due to Ms. White going above and beyond conventional customer service expectations. I’ve been a guest at many upscale hotels and the expectation of employees is the same across the board. Ms. White exceeded those expectations and made us feel like we were at home!

I will definitely be returning to Solomon’s Island and will make Comfort Inn Beacon Marina my choice of stay! Again, your service was extremely appreciated and I hope that Ms. White is praised and acknowledged for going above and beyond and satisfying customers like me. Thanks again!
Jermaine Denee Bowens, M.A.
(301) 589-1018 Home
(202) 250-0104 Cell
jermainedenee@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view, and you shall receive.....if available!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mmorlack, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. Your thoughtful remarks are
very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience

Looking forward to seeing you again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews here, but I shouldn't have worried. Checkin was a breeze, the desk clerk could not have been more accommodating. When we got to the room, it was actually cold! (outside it was 90 and humid). It's rare to first get to a room and find the A/C on, let alone comfortable.

Furnishings were good, room was clean, wifi worked first time - highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the
time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others
Odenton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

In general… We visited Solomons (Island), Maryland … for the first time … arriving late afternoon on Friday, August 3, 2012, and departing late morning on Sunday morning, August 5, 2012. Our goal was to visit as many of the little restaurants, bars & grills, and “watering holes” within site of the water.
The weather was beautiful, the environment was soothing, the folks that we encountered were pleasant, and the entire experience was pleasing. However, we might classify this as one of those trips that fall into the category of “Been there, done that, and bought a T-shirt to prove it.” If we are to visit again, it will need to be for a special event, or something out on the water … Maybe we will need to buy a boat and see it from the marina side?!?!
We basically chose the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina due to price … we could get a Government/Military rate, and it seemed within a reasonable walking distance to the end of the peninsula where the “action” seemed to be. A “B&B” would have been more in the middle of things, but also near twice the price or more (if rooms were available … we never checked). In short, the hotel and its amenities were perfectly fine for this sort of weekend getaway. The room and its furnishings had some use, but it was clean … other than some mold on the air conditioner filter that may cause others some alarm. We had a second floor room, at the southwest end. We honestly did not hear a sound from another room or the hallway. The location, next to the Beacon Marina, fostered a relaxed feeling, and there was never any worry about security (and we walked back at midnight each night).
We did not take advantage of the free breakfast either morning, so we cannot comment on that … likely the same as other Choice Hotels in this price/grade range, which means to us that it is “O.K.” … even better when “free.” The set-up/arrangement for it looked like it would be “nice.”
We lounged at the pool for a few hours Saturday afternoon, as did others, and folks were friendly. The pool setting next to the marina added to the relaxation, and the pool environs were clean and safe.
The Captains Table restaurant across the parking lot was a nice stop for the “first beer of Happy Hour,” and a separate review for that establishment is forthcoming. The Spring Cove Marina is right around the corner (at the hotel exit), and it has a nice Chesapeake Bay-themed gift shop. Make a 45-dgree right turn at the exit, cutting through the parking lot to the Calvert Medical Center, and just past the Roy Rogers, is a little shopping center with a very nice liquor store on the near end. We don’t recall the name, but it is close enough that you can carry a couple or three 12-packs without your arms falling off. And there is an excellent selection of beer/wine/liquor. A 7-Eleven just a bit further down will net you your snacks.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
mmorlack, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thanks so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others.
Clarksville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I just got back home from a one night stay and it was the worst experience! I checked into the motel and went into my room to drop off luggage and use the bathroom. I noticed the motel was much older and dirtier than it looked in the pictures. The lobby was extremely small and the maids were folding towels here when I arrived - kind of wierd, right? The beds were old, bathroom fixtures came off [literally], and it just had this creepy crawly feeling. After using the bathroom, I flushed the toilet - and it worked fine, flushed perfectly - and no, nothing major going on here, just drained my bladder. Upon returning, hours later, I noticed toilet paper in the toilet bowl and thought it was odd...I knew I did not leave it like this. So, I flushed it...and it OVERFLOWED, onto the floor. I called the front desk and they responded to plunge the toilet and only mop it up - not clean it. This irritated me AND they took several minutes to come to the room. So, after they left, I had to throw on a pair of shoes to walk on the bathroom floor. If that wasn't bad enough, then in the morning the only light in the bathroom [over the sink] wasn't working. After two seperate visits from housekeeping, they advised their maintenance worker would be at the hotel in a half an hour. I was irritated...I had a funeral to leave for and did not want to be late. They suggested that they could "clean" a bathroom in another room...but, the room itself would be dirty from someone having stayed in it last night. So, I stood there wondering...am I supposed to get ready in someone else's dirty room after showering or walk down a hallway in a towel? Ridiculous. I was in SHOCK. Are you kidding me? I was so mad at this point, I couldn't even have a decent conversation ...so I just glared at the front desk person...she then said, "I'll take forty dollars off the bill." Yeah, right - that helps with the inconvenience. NEVER EVER GO TO THIS MOTEL.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
mmorlack, Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I’m concerned about the issues you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you’re unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that all of the issues you’ve raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future needs.

Melanie Morlack
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was my first time to Solomons. It was a girl's getaway to celebrate my bday. The room was clean and the mattress was super comfy. There was a heat wave going on so it was relieving that the a/c worked fantastic! Water pressure in the shower was very nice as well. There were a few spots of rust in the shower area but it was clean and that is the important part. Breakfast was good and all of the employees are knowledgeable, professional and friendly. That night we went out to Tiki Bar for a drink and Calypso Bar for dancing. There is a town shuttle that runs until 2 am, it costs $10 roundtrip that will pick up/drop off at the hotel. View of the marina from the hotel is very nice. It was quite an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We vIsited this property on 6/30/12 because we had a SEVERE POWER OUTAGE in our are AREA which caused ALL AND I MEAN ALL HOTELS to be BOOKED FROM A 60 MILE RADIUS. This was our LAST RESORT and the only place with an OPENING IN OUR DESPERATE TIMES so we booked it eventhough we have never stayed at a hotel lower than FOUR STARS. Uppon arriving at the front desk noone at all was present for about fifteen minutes with the phones ringing unstoppable. I was calling out for assistance for a while until he finally came up front. When we booked the room we were told it would be at the rate of $88.00 for Govt rate. The front desk clerk charged us $93.00 because he said that was the correct rate in the system eventhough we were quoted that rate with a confirmation number. He never even tried to ask for assistance from the manager at all. I asked him to show us the room he was going to assign us to and when we arrived there it was several large dead ants lying across the windo seal. I asked to be placed in another room, he did and the nightmares began. While we were bringing up our things on the second floor there were several big LABADOR DOGS walking loosely in the halls. Their website clearly states that pets were only allowed on the first floor And in crates only!! Our bathroom sink leaked Big time straight through the bottom onto the floor directly. The shower stall was so nasty and dirty i wouldnt clean my pets in it. When my husband went downstairs to get clean linen, and towels housekeeping staff were drinking Corona Beers and yelling with profanity with the staff at the front desk, so unprofessional!!! Dogs were loosely roaming around down on that floor too. Our window in our room didnt lock and the screen was torn up. The evening staff was really unprofessional!! Our toilet didnt work work properly, it kept overflowing everytime you flushed it. When we called the front desk for assistance in this matter she only offered to bring us towels to place on the floor because they didnt have any maintenance personnel at all. REALLY!!!! So what was we suppose to do just let the water continue to run all over the floor we had to stay in. I DONT THINK SO!!! This was the worst experience in our life of Hotel Stays. They need to tare this entire building down and start new with some of the staff as well. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to any animals walking on this earth. It needs serious remodeling, it had a terrible odor in the halls as well. If it wasnt for the heat index with the power outage going on we wouldnt have stayed there at all!! We had to take necessary pre-cautions and disinfected the entire room, doors and floors. We stripped both beds and requested several clean linen and we slept on top of that in our clothes. We couldnt wait until checkout the next morning because we couldnt sleep at all in an enviroment like this. You could hear other visitors talking loudly through the walls and their toilets flushing too. This was a very scary experience and we wouldnt want anyone else to go through what we experienced. A manager never addressed any of our issues thats definitely poor customer service all the way around. I hope our review help others!! This place wasnt even worth the $88.00 it was suppose to be!!!! We definitely deserve a refund but nothing was ever offered!!!!

Room Tip: Stick with the four star hotels because at least you will get your monies worth and a good nite slee...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
I apologize that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. I did want to let you know I received your information from Choice Hotels and did reply, I apologize if this has not received you yet. I have reviewed your bill and do see that you were only charged $88.00 plus tax. My team has inspected the room you stayed in and we were unable to find any issues in the room. Also, I wanted to let you know that the people you saw drinking in the hallways were not employees, but guests' staying here as well. We are a pet friendly hotel and based upon the outage in the area we tried to accommodate everyones needs.
Allentown PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here for a sailing weekend as it was close to the dock and a good price for what we needed (a place to sleep and shower). For its age, it was clean enough, but not spotless. Even though we were right off the lobby, it was quiet. The air conditioning gave the place a musty feel and smell. The comforters and drapery need updating. Would not stay here again. There are newer hotels in the area which are similarly priced.

Room Tip: If you stay here, ask for a room on the second floor. The first floor rooms look right out onto the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beacon Marina, responded to this review, June 29, 2012

Please accept my sincere apology.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving your future needs.

Melanie Morlack

Been to Comfort Inn Beacon Marina? Share your experiences!