“Most upscale food in town but poor location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Solomons
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
washington DC
“Most upscale food in town but poor location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Based on previous reviews, I was looking forward to this meal. We missed it on the way into Solomon's restaurant area because it was in a "professional building" of sorts (2 story building for small shops as you might find in a small town). There was an Edward Jones financial office upstairs. I wanted to say this first since I never really got over eating in a professional building compared to all of the other restaurants which were either on the water or in the waterfront area of Solomon's.

The decor inside is intimate, the service was fine and the drinks were fine too. The menu was somewhat limited and the food was often more complicated than it needed to be. The fish dishes were mostly prepared with very strong and distinct sauces (cheesy cream or BBQ for example) which was overpowering when a simple presentation would have been much better. This was especially unfortunate since the fish's freshness and quality was so apparent.

I don't want you to think I had some terrible incident there and am trying to get back at the restaurant. I always say it is all about the expectations. My expectation was of a quaint restaurant with elegant food and so I was disappointed on those counts. Many of the other restaurants on Solomon's "stretch" of establishments were for a younger, partying crowd so we certainly preferred CD's to those. However, there was one we walked by that seemed low key and it was on a pier that was out, over the water and we were told that they had great seafood. Sorry I didn't get the name. Just go past the public parking areas to the first restaurant on the right.

Maryland
“Best place to Eat in Calvert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

By far the best place to eat. Fresh ingredients instead of everything deep fried. Innovative recipes. Great desserts. Wonderful Wine.

They don't take reservations and the restaurant is tiny, so you will have to wait if you're not there when it opens. They have a separate bar, which is a nice place to sit while waiting. Can be chilly, so bring a light jacket.

Eat the salmon and splurge for appetizer and/or dessert.

Washington, DC
“Excellent, reliable, interesting cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

On a recent visit to Solomons, Maryland, I enjoyed two memorable meals at the CD Cafe. It's very popular with the locals, enough so that it thrives even in the off-season. The menu includes some standard dishes (e.g. crab cakes) as well as some delicious, unusual combinations like sea bass with melon, which was particularly good. Everything we had at both meals was tasty (and affordable compared to Washington DC prices). Service was good and friendly, even on a very busy Saturday night.

St. Mary's City, MD
“Our favorite place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

This past summer, my boyfriend and I were in search of a new place to enjoy good wine and food in the St. Mary's/Calvert County area. I have been a guest of most every restaurant on or around Solomons Island and CD Cafe was by far the best place. It has taken the #1 spot for my favorite restaurant.

We dropped in on a Thursday night around 7 p.m. on a recommendation from a friend. CD is hard to find/notice, as it is located in a building that contains other offices. We entered to find a quaint dining room with only about 10 tables. A table for two happened to be open and waiting right by the window, with a great view of the bridge and a summer sunset.

The specials here are amazing. That first night I had mahi mahi over pesto pasta with seasonal vegetables, all of which was delicious. My boyfriend had the mediterranean pasta, which I have also had since (I add blackened scallops), which was equally superb.

For dessert, I had the raspberry pie- it was the first time I had ever seen such a pie on any menu and was more than pleasantly surprised by how wonderful it was. We have also had the creme brulee there, which was to die for. But, my favorite menu-related item is probably the most simple- the coffee, which is always fresh and delicious.

The atmosphere is wonderful; soft lighting, great service, quiet and inviting. This is the only place I don't mind waiting for, as you can go next door and order a bottle of wine and an appetizer, which you can carry over to your table in the restaurant when you are seated.

As I said, I've been to all the big name restaurants on the island, and CD Cafe, by and large, is the best for food, service and atmosphere. It's going to take a lot for another restaurant to usurp CD's #1 spot in my book!

Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Always Excellent! Specials are to die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

I've been going to the DC cafe for several years. Usually about every three or four months. I've never experienced anything negative-except for the fact that at times they are very walnut friendly and I'm allergic to walnuts. They are very accommodating however. If I see something that has walnuts I ask, and they kindly remove them-if possible. Sometimes I have to pass on the dish because of the inability to remove the walnuts.

They always have new and fresh menu specials and are always very tempting. The Steak Au Puave is awesome! It's my favorite and I try to get it at leas twice a year! The specials ALWAYS tempt me away from it though.

The service is very friendly and fast. There could be a long wait if you decide to go at the last minute. This place only has about 11 tables and your wait could be up to an hour if you arrive even five minutes after they open. The best thing to do is get there 20 minutes before they open at 5:30, or plan on getting there around 6:15 and every 45 minute increment afterwards. It's totally worth it if you can go next door to their small lounge and have an appetizer and possibly a drink while you are signed up for a table. Just tell the bartender that you're waiting when you arrive and they will call you when your table is ready.

The dessert menu is always incredible. I default to one form or another of their creme' brulee. They always spice it up with different things. Awesome!

They serve a very good espresso to go with dessert and it is freshly ground.

I'm kind of reluctant to give out this secret dining spot as it is only going to make my wait even longer. But I can't keep a secret so there you have it.

Enjoy the scenery and there area also great shops on the strip in Solomons to walk off all of the super rich calories that you just totally enjoyed taking on.

Been to CD Cafe, Inc.? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage CD Cafe, Inc., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.