“Great lunch!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I enjoyed the soft shell crab sandwich while my husband and son raved about the crab bisque. The wait staff was very attentive and competent.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lusby, Maryland, United States
“Disappointing visits”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've been to The Striped Rock numerous times and in the beginning this restaurant was great...now it just seems to be getting worse. The young staff is inexperienced and rude. The food can be quite good...when it is not overcrowded. Restaurant needs to learn how to schedule enough staff and do better training of their young employees .

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Elkridge, Maryland
“Excellent visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had the salmon entrée, perfectly cooked, delicious sauce, came with the most deliciously cooked brussel sprouts. I really enjoyed my dinner. The only complaint is the ice tea which is too diluted. My girlfriend does not like her crab dip; she thought was too thick and cheesy. My daughter's salad was fresh and looks delicious.

Visited May 2014
Maryland
“Second Time Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have reviewed this restaurant before, and said that the food was quite good. We went back, and I would repeat that. Again, my husband loved the calamari.

But I have two issues with the restaurant that have not improved. First, with such nice food and a pleasant atmosphere, why the huge and disruptive television screens - in a relatively small space? Most people who are there, want to have a meal with good company. They are not there for the TVs. Even many who sit at the bar are with friends. Alright: If there are winter Olympics, the Kentucky Derby or the Super Bowl, perhaps. My suggestion: Turn of the tv's. Turn on ONLY one, IF by request by someone at the bar (and not the serving staff, who should be focused on customers - see below). Let the rest of the diners enjoy the culinary experience with friends and family.

One bit of relief: There is wonderful outdoor seating. So as long as it is warm enough (and not hot and sticky), this may be a place to enjoy the cuisine and the view without the annoying televisions everywhere.

My second point: It is time for the management to focus on service. Of course service in Southern Maryland is typically NOT good. Somehow, despite the tourism industry, no one seems willing to encourage local restaurants to improve service (while the big box chains train their servers, and gain business partly as a result). At the Striped Rock, our waiter did not seem to understand that he was there to serve us. I ordered a hamburger -without either the bun or the French fries. When I asked whether I could get a little bit of salad or something instead, he said "no". Maybe that is the restaurant's policy (which is then also a problem) but probably he just did not care. (I believe that the woman serving a nearby table was more accommodating.) Though fried foods and carbs are pervasive in Southern Maryland, there are some of us who would like alternatives.

I was just quite disappointed in the restaurant this time. Next time, we will try the new restaurant at the Lighthouse.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hughesville, MD
“Not blown away but decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I have been there twice, both times at downstairs inside. The upstairs inside were empty, once for lunch, once for dinner. I think if I were to have sat outside with the view would have made it better instead of inside next to the bar. The crabcake and cream of crab soup were good. Good fries, striped Rock Tacos and Shrimp Salad sandwich although it was intact pieces of shrimp not chopped. Food and service was good, the atmosphere inside was lacking. Prices slightly high but it is Solomons Island. Not sure if I would return unless, I was able to eat outside.

• Visited May 2014