“Bad service and horrible room climate” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8727 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Hilton Washington DC/Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $109!
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Baarn
“Bad service and horrible room climate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

The room was too hot too sleep in despite airco trying with very much noise. Stuffed air, no ventilation possible. Room was left open after cleaning. Coffee and cups were not replaced. And more niceties of this school class filled hotel that is in serious need of renovating. Staff did not even apologise. Exit Hilton from my list of business hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We've addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hotel is about a 5-7 minute walk from the Metro and 1-3 minutes from City Mall, a Majestic movie theatre, and other dining and shopping areas. The hotel said there is transportation they provide to and from the Metro but the driver never seemed available when I needed the service, so I walked... which was honestly fine. The neighborhood is safe and quiet during the day and evenings, and overall the people are friendly. In-room dining food is delicious, however purchases via credit card are transacted slow, and the daily warm cookie is a nice treat. Housekeeping sometimes cleans the room in the late afternoon, which I feel is unacceptable and the gift shop has a lot to be desired and is more like a tiny snack shop. Those that noted on the internet the ice situation are correct. Higher floors do not have ice machines and you'd have to go to lower floors to get ice. Also at the time of my visit they were working on the elevators and due to that maintenance the elevators were slow. Overall this hotel is worth being a guest at, and there is a lot to keep you busy in the Silver Spring area and via quick Metro ride throughout DC.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The service at The Double Tree Silver Spring was the worst service I've ever received while staying at a hotel in the DC/Maryland area. I was there celebrating my 28 birthday & came with food, drinks & a nice size cake but from the time I checked in until the time I checked out the service was just bad. The room was very small, didn't have a mini fridge microwave or anything. If I had a question for the front desk staff they weren't helpful at all. They didn't make me feel WELCOMED AT ALL!!!! I had to find valet on my own to store my bags for me. There was no where for me to store my birthday cake besides my room. I asked for a late check out at the time of check-in & was informed to call down in the morning. I called down to the front desk that morning requesting a later checkout & was informed that the latest I could check out was 12pm. The service was really bad & the employees were not knowledgeable abut their job at all. I recently stayed at the Homewood Suites directly across for my sons birthday & had the best time. From the time I checked in until I checked out all of the employees were very helpful & knowledgeable of their job. We stayed in a suite which had the living room area, a nice king sized bed, kitchen & pull out couch. My kids played in the pool that night & the morning before check out. Any questions or concerns I had were addressed & taken care of right then. I didn't have to search for valet by myself & just feel like I had to do a job that I was not getting paid to do. I asked for a later check out & was given the time of 2;30pm. The rooms their were much bigger & the people literally had more to clean but didn't mind at all. It really was a great experience. I will NEVER RECOMMEND OR STAY AT THIS FACILITY AGAIN. I was a paying customer that was treated as if I DIDN'T MATTER AT ALL! The staff needs more customer service training & should be more knowledgeable about their job. GREAT IDEA GONE WRONG....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you felt in any way insulted or offended. This is not typical of our hotel and staff as every guest is very important to us. So I have addressed these issues with our team members, and hopefully the next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience what our hotel is known for: truly award-winning hospitality. Thank you once again for your comments.
Chicago, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Worst Hotel Stay ever. I am a Diamond and have been Gold member of Hilton. I was amazed to find out that the Hotel TV channel lineup did not include the #1 Cable News Station in US. Also, limited AC outlets and the one by the desk did not even work. We had to run an extension cord to the other side of the room. There is a Hampton Inn across the street, you might want to look there before checking into this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and that our channel lineup didn't meet your needs. We will keep your comments in mind as we are always trying to improve our on-property experience. So again, thank you for your review and if you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.
Charlotte, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This Doubletree Hotel was choosen for group stay to attend regional sporting meet, easy to find off major highway, quick valet . LOVED the quality towels in bathrooms , lots of close by dining choices and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed for one night, Attending to family business. It met all f my requirements. It was clean, safe, There was a restaurant and bar. The food was good. The internet worked. The staff was extremely accomodatng.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Kensington, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I spent one night at the Doubletree in Silver Spring with my wife and two children. The location of the hotel is pretty good. Downtown Silver Spring is thriving on a Friday night with plenty of restaurants and free music on the pedestrian mall. The lobby of the hotel is fine and the staff very nice. However the rooms and hallways are in need of an update. When we entered the rather dark room we tried in vain to turn on a light. After ten minutes we called down to the front desk only to eventually find that both lights were broken and needed to be replaced. The TV worked poorly with static and white noise on almost half the channels. And the rooms, while clean were a bit worn with stained wallpaper. Ultimately, the room was quite inexpensive. If one wants to be close to the redline with quick access to DC the hotels location is not bad and the hotel is far cheaper than anything that can be found in DC.

Room Tip: Parking is $15. Across Colesville road there is a lot of street parking that is free over night. W...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring? Share your experiences!