“excellent facilities for event!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8727 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Hilton Washington DC/Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rates from $89!
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
London, UK
“excellent facilities for event!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a nephew's wedding reception here in Dec 2012 and the facilities were more than adequate. The hotel had said no self parking and so we had thot the valet parking might be a problem for our many guests but everything was well organised and worked smoothly. Even when we had forgotten things in the car and had to go back, the process was smooth and the staff were very accomodating in helping us carry the many boxes of items back into the reception hall.
The food (a 3-course meal) was very tasty and presentation very good. Those guests who came in late even when all serving had finished still got served food (though all courses came in one go). All in all, a good place for functions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting the DC area for the first time. Our experience here did not start off well, but the staff made a good recovery! When we first arrived, there was a glitch with our reservation. After traveling for several hours, this is the last thing we wanted to hear. The front desk staff was very apologetic and were able to arrange for us to stay the night in a hotel right across the street. The following day a bellman came over to assist with our belongings and getting into our room here. All of the employees we interacted with were fantastic.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a barely average rating. There are many things lacking at this property. Overall, it is in need of renovation - carpets are frayed, doors need painting, etc. The door to my room was so out of adjustment it would barely open/close. The front desk staff gladly moved me into another, but that room had many small issues, too: poor TV reception, no plunger in the sink, no electrical receptacles at the desk, floor lamp that didn't work, the desk hadn't been well cleaned. And the hotel was on the loud side - could hear people walking in the room above and talking next door. Full disclosure: I did not complain to the staff about any of these issues, other than asking to be moved to another room on arrival. Just walking down the hallways indicated that maintenance is an issue here.

On the positive side, valet parking attendants and front desk staff were unfailingly friendly. (FYI - no self parking, but valet is a reasonable $12/night.) Room service was surprisingly fast; food was hot and tasty. Nice bar and a decent workout facility. Location is excellent for Silver Spring and easy access to DC. Room price was also quite reasonable - $100 for a weekend night.

Would I stay here again? Yes.
Would I try to book another property first? Absolutely.
It's just not up to the Doubletree standard.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior of the property overlook a very ugly rooftop. Ask for street view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Smithfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for (2) nights on December 26th. The hotel is located right in downtown Silver Springs. The hotel was easy to get to traveling on I-495. The parking is valet only. The attendents were very good as well as the Bell Staff. Check-in went well and our room, which was a suite, was nice. The room was clean and the bed was real nice.Issues with the room were when rude guests let the door slam, the whole room shook! We didn't have a spare blankets and there were no coffee cups but that was corrected quickly. The hotel in general is close to needing a facelift. We had breakfast coupons for our stay. The buffet was decent and they offered cooked to order eggs. The wait staff was great. The hotel was located right next to some nice restaurants and a movie theater.The Metro Station is about a mile away. There was a weird issue at the hotel. They only had CNN, MSNBC and the "Big Three" news programs in the room and in the common areas. When I asked the front desk clerk, she told me that the hotel was up-grading the T.V. package at the hotel. Hmmmmmmn

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband, young daughter and I stayed at this hotel over New Year's. First off, the hotel is completely dated. The room was musty, bathroom was too small, reception on the TV was fuzzy, no fridge, no microwave and bad customer service. Cookies were not even available at check-in, which is supposed to be the Doubletree's signature.

Staff was generally ghetto, clientele was young an rowdy. We were on the 10th floor directly in front of the elevator. So when all the gross, drunk, rowdy people came back from celebrating NYE, we had to deal with yelling, cussing and weed smoking outside our door. The following night, January 1 was no better. We were wide awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night because "guests" were drunk again and this time were doing somersaults and cartwheels in the hallway outside our door. I called the front desk TWICE to get these low-lives to shut up and have some respect for people who were sleeping. I was planning on calling the police if it happened a third time.

I will never, ever, ever stay here again or anywhere in downtown Silver Spring (which is a total dump as well).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, since we work hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience. We see that noise was an issue during your stay. While we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods, we also encourage guests to contact the front office so that we can address noise issues to ensure comfort and safety. We are sorry that other guests interrupted your comfort and we've shared your review with our security team. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured while staying with us. We hope that the next time you return to the area you’ll consider giving us another chance to provide a great stay. .
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday last year in September 2012., it was ok. This time I stayed with two friends for New Years eve 2012! There were three reasons I came back: people are friendly in the area and helpful & it has suites and I like the fact that it is accessible to numerous shopping venues, restaurants, entertainment and transportation! I noticed though that the bell men/valet pick and choose who they assist with luggage. If you look rich and seem to have money, they help you, if you look like you might not have any money they just push the cart over to you and let you take your own bags upstairs. What they didn't know was that I had a big bill to hand over to them, but they judged me and assisted someone else so it was their loss. I also have a problem with the hotel itself! They have no microwaves or small refrigerators in the room or coffee makers and this room was a suite! At least have them in the suites! I had to go down to the front desk just to warm up my food! What hotel makes you leave your room and go down to a front desk to warm up food? How much does it cost to put in microwaves in the rooms? Also, the tub in my room #735 was clogged as in Sept when i stayed in another room. We also had a strange lamp in the living area that took three of us to figure out how to turn it on! No blankets were available. No breakfast is included in the rate! You have to pay a lot more just to have breakfast! OMG the parking! you have to pay for valet parking! Why should I have to pay to park at a hotel where I'm staying? When did this start happening? Some hotels milk you for every dime! If its mandatory valet parking, then caculate that as part of your hotel rate if you're driving! I usually like to stay at hotels with free parking!! I do like the fact that the internet is free!!! Beware of staying at any hotel on New years eve though! I had a terrible evening, the people next door was smoking "crack" or "weed" and my entire room was filled with smoke!!!! Police were running through my floor attempting to get them out! It was horrible!!!

Room Tip: very accessible to everything! Hope you don't want a view from your room, because the rooms wit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you, avirtuelady, for your prompt and candid feedback of your stay on NYE. I regret that the stay did not meet your expectations. Never the less, I can assure you that equal services are provided to all and apologize that some of our staff members did not convey such to you. We are a city-center hotel with great limitations on the availability of parking. Unfortunately, a room rate to include this service would not apply for most of our guests. Microwaves and refrigerators are based on availability. All of our rooms do come equipped with many standards including coffeemakers and complimentary wifi; I confirmed that your room did indeed have one. Thank you for your feedback on our accessibility to all; our hotel is truly convenient to many restaurants, theaters and local attractions. I apologize that our security staff did not ensure you an uneventful hotel experience. During your phone conversation, our Front Office Manager confirmed a “welcome back” certificate for your inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

I thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring.

Anna Lyons, GM
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We contacted the hotel to help us arrange for a family Christmas. The catering manager, Jessica, was extremely perceptive and efficient setting up perfect arrangements in just 2 phone calls. All of the staff were very friendly and the hotel was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. You get the feeling from everyone that they really care about their guests. It was a great experience and an excellent value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kay K, the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring is thrilled that we could help make your holiday season just a little bit better! Thank you for your very kind comments. The feeling of care that you received from the Team is sincere! Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring. Have a wonderful 2013!

With thanks again,

Homewood Suites Silver Spring
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
#3 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 307 reviews

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring? Share your experiences!