“Nice place in a great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8727 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Hilton Washington DC/Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$109/nt + Free Wi-Fi
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Smithfield
“Nice place in a great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for (2) nights on December 26th. The hotel is located right in downtown Silver Springs. The hotel was easy to get to traveling on I-495. The parking is valet only. The attendents were very good as well as the Bell Staff. Check-in went well and our room, which was a suite, was nice. The room was clean and the bed was real nice.Issues with the room were when rude guests let the door slam, the whole room shook! We didn't have a spare blankets and there were no coffee cups but that was corrected quickly. The hotel in general is close to needing a facelift. We had breakfast coupons for our stay. The buffet was decent and they offered cooked to order eggs. The wait staff was great. The hotel was located right next to some nice restaurants and a movie theater.The Metro Station is about a mile away. There was a weird issue at the hotel. They only had CNN, MSNBC and the "Big Three" news programs in the room and in the common areas. When I asked the front desk clerk, she told me that the hotel was up-grading the T.V. package at the hotel. Hmmmmmmn

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband, young daughter and I stayed at this hotel over New Year's. First off, the hotel is completely dated. The room was musty, bathroom was too small, reception on the TV was fuzzy, no fridge, no microwave and bad customer service. Cookies were not even available at check-in, which is supposed to be the Doubletree's signature.

Staff was generally ghetto, clientele was young an rowdy. We were on the 10th floor directly in front of the elevator. So when all the gross, drunk, rowdy people came back from celebrating NYE, we had to deal with yelling, cussing and weed smoking outside our door. The following night, January 1 was no better. We were wide awake for 2 hours in the middle of the night because "guests" were drunk again and this time were doing somersaults and cartwheels in the hallway outside our door. I called the front desk TWICE to get these low-lives to shut up and have some respect for people who were sleeping. I was planning on calling the police if it happened a third time.

I will never, ever, ever stay here again or anywhere in downtown Silver Spring (which is a total dump as well).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, since we work hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience. We see that noise was an issue during your stay. While we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods, we also encourage guests to contact the front office so that we can address noise issues to ensure comfort and safety. We are sorry that other guests interrupted your comfort and we've shared your review with our security team. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured while staying with us. We hope that the next time you return to the area you’ll consider giving us another chance to provide a great stay. .
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday last year in September 2012., it was ok. This time I stayed with two friends for New Years eve 2012! There were three reasons I came back: people are friendly in the area and helpful & it has suites and I like the fact that it is accessible to numerous shopping venues, restaurants, entertainment and transportation! I noticed though that the bell men/valet pick and choose who they assist with luggage. If you look rich and seem to have money, they help you, if you look like you might not have any money they just push the cart over to you and let you take your own bags upstairs. What they didn't know was that I had a big bill to hand over to them, but they judged me and assisted someone else so it was their loss. I also have a problem with the hotel itself! They have no microwaves or small refrigerators in the room or coffee makers and this room was a suite! At least have them in the suites! I had to go down to the front desk just to warm up my food! What hotel makes you leave your room and go down to a front desk to warm up food? How much does it cost to put in microwaves in the rooms? Also, the tub in my room #735 was clogged as in Sept when i stayed in another room. We also had a strange lamp in the living area that took three of us to figure out how to turn it on! No blankets were available. No breakfast is included in the rate! You have to pay a lot more just to have breakfast! OMG the parking! you have to pay for valet parking! Why should I have to pay to park at a hotel where I'm staying? When did this start happening? Some hotels milk you for every dime! If its mandatory valet parking, then caculate that as part of your hotel rate if you're driving! I usually like to stay at hotels with free parking!! I do like the fact that the internet is free!!! Beware of staying at any hotel on New years eve though! I had a terrible evening, the people next door was smoking "crack" or "weed" and my entire room was filled with smoke!!!! Police were running through my floor attempting to get them out! It was horrible!!!

Room Tip: very accessible to everything! Hope you don't want a view from your room, because the rooms wit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you, avirtuelady, for your prompt and candid feedback of your stay on NYE. I regret that the stay did not meet your expectations. Never the less, I can assure you that equal services are provided to all and apologize that some of our staff members did not convey such to you. We are a city-center hotel with great limitations on the availability of parking. Unfortunately, a room rate to include this service would not apply for most of our guests. Microwaves and refrigerators are based on availability. All of our rooms do come equipped with many standards including coffeemakers and complimentary wifi; I confirmed that your room did indeed have one. Thank you for your feedback on our accessibility to all; our hotel is truly convenient to many restaurants, theaters and local attractions. I apologize that our security staff did not ensure you an uneventful hotel experience. During your phone conversation, our Front Office Manager confirmed a “welcome back” certificate for your inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you in the New Year.

I thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We contacted the hotel to help us arrange for a family Christmas. The catering manager, Jessica, was extremely perceptive and efficient setting up perfect arrangements in just 2 phone calls. All of the staff were very friendly and the hotel was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. You get the feeling from everyone that they really care about their guests. It was a great experience and an excellent value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kay K, the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring is thrilled that we could help make your holiday season just a little bit better! Thank you for your very kind comments. The feeling of care that you received from the Team is sincere! Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring. Have a wonderful 2013!

With thanks again,

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Everybody I encountered at this property was very nice and helpful. The staff at the Twisted Willow restaurant was very nice! Everybody said hello and was very friendly. The room was small but ideal for business guests. When I'm in the Silver Spring/Washington DC area again I will defiantly come back here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you, wvalumni2004, for your recent review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring. We very much appreciate your taking the time to provide such wonderful comments about the staff and your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon!

Gratefully,

Bowie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

12 hours into my stay - I would have given this place a 5-rating. But by the end of my stay - I was less than happy with the hotel and staff.

I brought my wife and 2 young kids (2 &5) to this hotel, checking in on Thanksgiving Day. We live in the area, and specifically chose this hotel over others in the DC-Metro for our stay-cation because the hotel was going to open its pool at 10am, instead of the normal 4pm. I called several hotels and the lovely Tracy at the FD of this hotel confirmed that the hotel was opening its pool early to accommodate its holiday traveling guests who wanted to use the pool. We used our HHonors points for 50% of the stay, so it was easy on the wallet. All in all - the first day of our stay went well - as we were able to check-in early (@ 12pm) and use the pool in the early afternoon.

The next day, things began to disintegrate: a) We got out bill under the door the next, and saw that we had been overcharged for valet parking ($15 instead of the quoted $10). The FD corrected the issue in the end. b) Wanting to swim again early in the day, we got ourselves ready for the pool, only to find a group of about 10 other people waiting to get into the pool at 10am. However, after calling the FD, we were informed that the pool would not be opening until later on in the afternoon. Bummer! We actually didn't get a straight answer from the FD at first, with the clerk saying that the pool was run by a third-party entity which they had no control over. Translation: "That's not our problem..." No apology, no empathetic statement. No nothing. So much for "Ultimate Service"...

In summary - the pool was nice (when it was open); the FD crew on Thanksgiving day was friendly. However - the pool being closed on black Friday was a big headache and the response by the Friday morning staff was lackluster. Plus the sleeping rooms were small. Just saying..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you and your family encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I recently stayed at the DoubleTree Silver Spring for close to a month while I was attending a conference at the nearby AFI Silver Spring Theater. Very fortunately for me, attendees of this conference were eligible for a special negotiated rate. Let me assure you, had I been forced to pay the hotel's advertised rates (available on Expedia or elsewhere for around $210 per weeknight), I would have very quickly turned elsewhere for lodging. Also note that the hotel charges an additional $15/night to park in their garage (valet). While numerous free overnight garages abound in Silver Spring, I would consider parking at the hotel a necessity, as Silver Spring isn't exactly crime-free.

LOCATION: The hotel is situated on Colesville Road (Silver Spring's "Main St.") less than 5 minutes from the Capitol Beltway. It is very easy to walk anywhere in downtown Silver Spring, including the Metro stop, in less than 10 minutes. A very convenient location.

RECEPTION: The lobby has very contemporary decor and features plenty of seating areas and numerous flat-panel TVs for relaxing when waiting to check-in/check-out. I found the reception desk to be adequately staffed most of the time. Two banks of elevators are available to quickly usher guests to their rooms. Elevators were quick; I never had to wait more than a couple minutes. The restaurant and bar and contiguous with the lobby. While I never tried the food or sat at the bar, both areas seemed to fill up and become fairly lively during the evening hours.

My only gripe with the reception/lobby area pertains to what I consider a mildly significant design flaw. The hotel has 2 entrances: one streetside entrance which faces Colesville Road, and another side entrance which enters from the parking garage. If you are parking your car and checking into the hotel for the first time, it would make obvious sense that you might be carrying/pulling a considerable amount of luggage. Unfortunately, if using this entrance, one must ascend a small flight of stairs in order to reach the reception desk. While this didn't pose much of a problem for me, I can see where this might be difficult for older travelers or a larger family with a lot of luggage. While the DoubleTree staff was always willing to help with luggage, they weren't always available during the hotel's busier times. The hotel should really consider putting a ramp alongside these stairs. These stairs can also be an obvious problem for those in wheelchairs.

SERVICE: Almost everyone I interacted with at the hotel was extremely polite and helpful. While I stayed at the hotel for a cumulative total of close to a month, I checked-in and checked-out multiple times, as I left Silver Spring every weekend to visit friends elsewhere on the East Coast. I had one issue with one of my check-out bills (I wasn't given the negotiated rate) which was promptly and courteously corrected at the front desk.

The hotel is conveniently located next to a very well-stocked liquor store. One night I decided to buy a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner and a movie. After returning to the hotel, I stopped at the bar to inquire about borrowing a corkscrew. The bartender informed me that Montgomery County ordinance forbids hotels from distributing corkscrews to guests. Hmm....this sounded somewhat suspect. He then told me that I could bring my bottle to the bar and they could open it for me, although they'd have to charge me a $15 (I think) corkage fee. After staring at him in disbelief for several long seconds, he offered to do me a "favor" and told me he would send someone up to my room with a corkscrew to open my wine for me. After taking my room number I went upstairs and waited. After a little over an hour no one had yet come. Knowing that I would probably want to enjoy several bottles of wine over the course of my stay, I decided to throw in the towel. I left the hotel and walked to the local drugstore to buy my own corkscrew (miraculously, the liquor store next door had just sold out of cheap corkscrews).

Final grievance regarding service: I checked into the hotel a total of 4 times. I was only given the signature DoubleTree cookie twice. This is quite a shame, as these cookies are AMAZINGLY RIDICULOUS. Honestly, for what this hotel charges per night, you should get a dozen cookies each time you check in.

ROOMS: I stayed in a total of 4 different rooms during the course of my stay, all of them being in the standard King Non-Smoking category. The decor and furniture is fairly sleek and modern. Wi-fi is included at no additional charge (it had better be for $210/night). The bed was very comfortable and had about 12 pillows of varying fluffiness from which to choose. The AC was cold, although it was fairly loud at its highest fan setting (this was experienced in every room in which I stayed). The bathroom vanities have granite countertops. I have only 2 gripes about the rooms:

1.) The bathrooms are TINY. There is absolutely NO WAY that more than one person could be in the bathroom at a time. Keep this in mind if travelling with a spouse. I would seriously estimate them to be absolutely no larger 30 square feet. For me this ordinarily wouldn't be a problem...except for the fact that the hotel commands standard room rates of OVER $210. There's no way that this rate is fair given the remarkably small size of the bathrooms.

2.) The cable is terrible. While they receive a wide range of channels, half of these contain enough static to make them unwatchable.

I didn't experience any of the hallway noise that other reviewers have mentioned, although I am a VERY deep sleeper. Also, one of the rooms I stayed in was missing a desk lamp and luggage rack. These are minor points but are worth mentioning...especially when the hotel charges over $210/night (I know, I'm beating a dead horse here).

FACILITIES: The hotel has a very nice sized gym containing numerous elliptical machines, stationary bikes, treadmills, free weights and weight machines. There is also a nice lap pool. One obnoxious thing I must point out is that the hotel's only ice machine is on the 4th floor. Therefore you have to ride the elevator or take stairs every time you want some ice. Again, not a big deal, but worth mentioning (........especially when the hotel charges over $210/night).

FINAL THOUGHTS: All-in-all, my experience at the DoubleTree Silver Spring was OK. The rooms were nice, contemporary and clean, the staff was pleasant, the location was great and I had a good night's sleep. These are things that should be expected of any reputable brand-name hotel chain. I was extremely lucky in that I was able to book a negotiated rate through my workplace (although as you can imagine, even a great negotiated rate multiplied by 20+ nights becomes very expensive!). However, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the DoubleTree Silver Spring is simply not worth the rates they are charging on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Over $210 is simply preposterous and outrageous for an "average" hotel (especially given the grievances, albeit minor, I mentioned above). I understand that the Washington DC area is expensive by nature, however Silver Spring is hardly Washington DC -- its a suburb (and a relatively undesirable one at that when compared to the likes of nearby Bethesda and Chevy Chase)!

If you are going to be in the DC area and are able to drop $200+/night on lodging, I would recommend spending your hard-earned cash on staying in either DC proper or in a nicer nearby suburb. You can also save some money by staying in a more peripheral suburb, although morning traffic entering the DC vicinity can be a disaster. If you absolutely MUST stay in Silver Spring and want the reliability of a brand-name hotel, I recommend the Hampton Inn (directly across the street from the DoubleTree). While still overpriced (relative to Hampton Inns in other areas of the country), the location is superb, it will cost you well under $200/night and includes breakfast.

In closing, I therefore cannot recommend the DoubleTree Silver Spring due to its high room rates. Even taking the inflated costs of DC-area lodging into consideration, $210+ (not including parking) is simply too much to pay for an average hotel experience.

Room Tip: If you are very noise sensitive, ask for a room on a higher floor away from the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
#4 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 275 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring? Share your experiences!