“Very average hotel -- OVERPRICED” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8727 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Hilton Washington DC/Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Rates from $109!
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Evanston, Illinois
“Very average hotel -- OVERPRICED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the DoubleTree Silver Spring for close to a month while I was attending a conference at the nearby AFI Silver Spring Theater. Very fortunately for me, attendees of this conference were eligible for a special negotiated rate. Let me assure you, had I been forced to pay the hotel's advertised rates (available on Expedia or elsewhere for around $210 per weeknight), I would have very quickly turned elsewhere for lodging. Also note that the hotel charges an additional $15/night to park in their garage (valet). While numerous free overnight garages abound in Silver Spring, I would consider parking at the hotel a necessity, as Silver Spring isn't exactly crime-free.

LOCATION: The hotel is situated on Colesville Road (Silver Spring's "Main St.") less than 5 minutes from the Capitol Beltway. It is very easy to walk anywhere in downtown Silver Spring, including the Metro stop, in less than 10 minutes. A very convenient location.

RECEPTION: The lobby has very contemporary decor and features plenty of seating areas and numerous flat-panel TVs for relaxing when waiting to check-in/check-out. I found the reception desk to be adequately staffed most of the time. Two banks of elevators are available to quickly usher guests to their rooms. Elevators were quick; I never had to wait more than a couple minutes. The restaurant and bar and contiguous with the lobby. While I never tried the food or sat at the bar, both areas seemed to fill up and become fairly lively during the evening hours.

My only gripe with the reception/lobby area pertains to what I consider a mildly significant design flaw. The hotel has 2 entrances: one streetside entrance which faces Colesville Road, and another side entrance which enters from the parking garage. If you are parking your car and checking into the hotel for the first time, it would make obvious sense that you might be carrying/pulling a considerable amount of luggage. Unfortunately, if using this entrance, one must ascend a small flight of stairs in order to reach the reception desk. While this didn't pose much of a problem for me, I can see where this might be difficult for older travelers or a larger family with a lot of luggage. While the DoubleTree staff was always willing to help with luggage, they weren't always available during the hotel's busier times. The hotel should really consider putting a ramp alongside these stairs. These stairs can also be an obvious problem for those in wheelchairs.

SERVICE: Almost everyone I interacted with at the hotel was extremely polite and helpful. While I stayed at the hotel for a cumulative total of close to a month, I checked-in and checked-out multiple times, as I left Silver Spring every weekend to visit friends elsewhere on the East Coast. I had one issue with one of my check-out bills (I wasn't given the negotiated rate) which was promptly and courteously corrected at the front desk.

The hotel is conveniently located next to a very well-stocked liquor store. One night I decided to buy a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner and a movie. After returning to the hotel, I stopped at the bar to inquire about borrowing a corkscrew. The bartender informed me that Montgomery County ordinance forbids hotels from distributing corkscrews to guests. Hmm....this sounded somewhat suspect. He then told me that I could bring my bottle to the bar and they could open it for me, although they'd have to charge me a $15 (I think) corkage fee. After staring at him in disbelief for several long seconds, he offered to do me a "favor" and told me he would send someone up to my room with a corkscrew to open my wine for me. After taking my room number I went upstairs and waited. After a little over an hour no one had yet come. Knowing that I would probably want to enjoy several bottles of wine over the course of my stay, I decided to throw in the towel. I left the hotel and walked to the local drugstore to buy my own corkscrew (miraculously, the liquor store next door had just sold out of cheap corkscrews).

Final grievance regarding service: I checked into the hotel a total of 4 times. I was only given the signature DoubleTree cookie twice. This is quite a shame, as these cookies are AMAZINGLY RIDICULOUS. Honestly, for what this hotel charges per night, you should get a dozen cookies each time you check in.

ROOMS: I stayed in a total of 4 different rooms during the course of my stay, all of them being in the standard King Non-Smoking category. The decor and furniture is fairly sleek and modern. Wi-fi is included at no additional charge (it had better be for $210/night). The bed was very comfortable and had about 12 pillows of varying fluffiness from which to choose. The AC was cold, although it was fairly loud at its highest fan setting (this was experienced in every room in which I stayed). The bathroom vanities have granite countertops. I have only 2 gripes about the rooms:

1.) The bathrooms are TINY. There is absolutely NO WAY that more than one person could be in the bathroom at a time. Keep this in mind if travelling with a spouse. I would seriously estimate them to be absolutely no larger 30 square feet. For me this ordinarily wouldn't be a problem...except for the fact that the hotel commands standard room rates of OVER $210. There's no way that this rate is fair given the remarkably small size of the bathrooms.

2.) The cable is terrible. While they receive a wide range of channels, half of these contain enough static to make them unwatchable.

I didn't experience any of the hallway noise that other reviewers have mentioned, although I am a VERY deep sleeper. Also, one of the rooms I stayed in was missing a desk lamp and luggage rack. These are minor points but are worth mentioning...especially when the hotel charges over $210/night (I know, I'm beating a dead horse here).

FACILITIES: The hotel has a very nice sized gym containing numerous elliptical machines, stationary bikes, treadmills, free weights and weight machines. There is also a nice lap pool. One obnoxious thing I must point out is that the hotel's only ice machine is on the 4th floor. Therefore you have to ride the elevator or take stairs every time you want some ice. Again, not a big deal, but worth mentioning (........especially when the hotel charges over $210/night).

FINAL THOUGHTS: All-in-all, my experience at the DoubleTree Silver Spring was OK. The rooms were nice, contemporary and clean, the staff was pleasant, the location was great and I had a good night's sleep. These are things that should be expected of any reputable brand-name hotel chain. I was extremely lucky in that I was able to book a negotiated rate through my workplace (although as you can imagine, even a great negotiated rate multiplied by 20+ nights becomes very expensive!). However, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the DoubleTree Silver Spring is simply not worth the rates they are charging on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Over $210 is simply preposterous and outrageous for an "average" hotel (especially given the grievances, albeit minor, I mentioned above). I understand that the Washington DC area is expensive by nature, however Silver Spring is hardly Washington DC -- its a suburb (and a relatively undesirable one at that when compared to the likes of nearby Bethesda and Chevy Chase)!

If you are going to be in the DC area and are able to drop $200+/night on lodging, I would recommend spending your hard-earned cash on staying in either DC proper or in a nicer nearby suburb. You can also save some money by staying in a more peripheral suburb, although morning traffic entering the DC vicinity can be a disaster. If you absolutely MUST stay in Silver Spring and want the reliability of a brand-name hotel, I recommend the Hampton Inn (directly across the street from the DoubleTree). While still overpriced (relative to Hampton Inns in other areas of the country), the location is superb, it will cost you well under $200/night and includes breakfast.

In closing, I therefore cannot recommend the DoubleTree Silver Spring due to its high room rates. Even taking the inflated costs of DC-area lodging into consideration, $210+ (not including parking) is simply too much to pay for an average hotel experience.

Room Tip: If you are very noise sensitive, ask for a room on a higher floor away from the elevators.

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a very nice hotel outsaide of DC. The staff is wonderful and very helpful. The kitchen struggles to make a basic breakfast item correctly.

As a HH gold member you are entitled to breakfast. They give you cold only bufett the entire breakfast needs to be revamped. It is easier to put IKEA furniture together than figure out what you are entilted to.

Nice hotel, try local place for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Welcome back, dvcguy! Thank you for your kind remarks, as well as feedback on your breakfast experience. As a DoubleTree Hotel, our standard is to provide HHonors Gold and Diamond members with a continental breakfast. The contents and layout are of Hilton standards, however, I apologize that the items available to you were not made clear or easy to follow. We appreciate your kind comments regarding the staff and the hotel and hope to see you again in the near future. Continental breakfast for Gold and Diamond members is always on us!

Yours in Hospitality,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location if you want to be near downtown Silver Spring. Getting to D.C. would be a quick drive or the red line (Metro) is right there. Hotel is probably showing its age a bit, but the beds are super comfortable and the towels are nice. TV was a little odd in that it kept going to snow but when you put channel number back in it worked fine. Breakfast buffet was fine, but a bit expensive given fact there is so much nearby. Same thing for dinner at the restaurant but, in the middle of Hurrican Sandy, we had no options. We have stayed here twice now. This time we to a two room suite and I HIGHLY recommend it if traveling with kids. Really nice living room with sectional sofa (with sleeper bed) and big bedroom with two double beds. Both rooms were fairly dark, so maybe bring a book light. Price was great for D.C. Staff were some of the friendliest, nicest hotel and valet staff I have met. And we have stayed in, I think, a dozen hotels this year. I highly recommend.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Although my room was clean, the floor I was on was too noisy. The first night it was kids on their Wash DC trip and they were finally quieted down by their teachers but the next night it was adults who were extremely loud and rude as they had to be told to be quiet more than once (at 1 am!). The requested early morning wake up call did not come so without my back up phone alarm, I would have missed by 7 am flight.
At check in they didn't ask me if I was a Hilton Honors member and apparently that would have made a big difference as my colleagues who did remind them of that were on a high floor that wasn't noisy.
There are a lot of hotels in the area - I wouldn't choose this one again.

Room Tip: High floor and always state you are a member of their "club".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your review and comments, Carol I, regarding your stay at the DoubleTree Silver Spring. I apologize that you had issues with noise during your stay with us. We do have overnight security and always encourage our guests to contact the Front Desk so that we can address the concerns and ensure the safety and security, as well as the expectations, of all of our guests. We apologize that the actions of our other guests interfered with our being able to provide you with a problem-free stay. We hope that the next time you are in the area you will offer us another opportunity to provide you with a “perfect” guest stay. In the meantime, we appreciate your candid comments and offer our apologies once again for the problems you experienced during your stay with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Was a business overnite, originally chosen for the lower cost and location. I found the rooms tighter in size than I am used to, the bathroom feeling a bit cramped, but still a very nice room. The staff was top notch and the location was easy to get around, with much local shopping and restaurants close.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Not what I'd expected at all, but smoothed out by the staff who were (actually with one exception) helpful and friendly. A "trademark" warm cookie is offered to every arrival, but this really isn't a substitute for up-to-date rooms or clear pricing. Breakfast was good - generous buffet with eggs to order - but it is an extra. Rooms were small and furnishings in mediocre condition, but the bed was fine. I'd expect more for my dollar, but I slept well!

Room Tip: Weirdly, rooms with a highway view seemed best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you, dpsLondon46, for your candid review. Your thorough perspective is appreciated. We apologize for those areas in which we fell short but am pleased to find some positives in your comments, as well. We always appreciate suggestions on how to improve our services and our customer’s experience. Please continue to share comments and suggestions with us any time.

Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Silver Spring/

Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This Doubletree has lots of plusses. #! is the friendly and accommodating staff. All of them were very personal and warm. In today's world of impersonal behaviors, this was a special treat! Special kudos goes out to Steven Robinson - the host in the daytime dining; charming, professional and most helpful. THe beds were more comfortable than mine at home! We had a side room with a chaise lounge and 2nd TV which was great; one could stay up later than the other.
The breakfast buffet was outstanding. I was there for a week and looked forward to this each morning. Fresh bakery muffins, all kinds of hot items, fresh juices, granola, organic yogurt and they even had salmon a couple of mornings. All kinds of meats (I don't eat but they are there for you carnivores - bacon, sausage, etc.)
Rooms were extremely comfortable, AND for you girls - Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries! One small issue was the TV; the cable would cut out frequently and you would have to find your way back to what you were watching. AND the towels - a hotel of this caliber needs to have signs in the room about where to put the towels each day so that that they weren't unnecessarily replaced.
Great location; just a few minutes from the metro (red line which goes right into DC)
The workout room was great; current, working equipment; free weights, medicine balls, and my fav - a styro roller for stretching. And...how many downtown hotels do you know that have an indoor heated pool?

Room Tip: I got a good tip from Trip Advisor about asking for a room away from the street; this was great; abs...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring? Share your experiences!