“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel

You added Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8777 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Los Angeles, California
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this property for a conference and I must say the checking in move very fast and the front desk was very knowledgable and very helpful on helping me with things to do around the hotel during my down time. I wish all hotels that I stay in where like this experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sheldon J, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Jamal S,
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. Our team members strive to make our guest fell welcome and enjoy their stay. We have many new amenities in the hotel that I hope you were able to experience, Happy Hour in Mica Lounge, In-House car service, and new food offerings.

I hope you visit us again real soon.

Sheldon Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Starwood Lifetime Platinum SPG member stayed here for three nights from Thursday to Sunday at the beginning of November. The hotel has a shuttle van which picked us up at the Silver Spring Metro station which is very close by. The hotel's free shuttle will take guests anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel which is very helpful. The shuttle drivers are super friendly and offer driving suggestions as well. Upon check-in we were given a room on the SPG floor (14). The check-in on Halloween evening was up to Starwood/Sheraton standards very well by Kelley. The room itself is small for Sheraton hotels and decorated in darker tones. The bathroom is much smaller than any SHeraton hotel we have ever stayed in - but little can be done about it other than a rebuild!. The closet was also smaller but manageable. Upon looking at the floor plan/evacuation map on the door, we were a little surprised to see that a lifetime platinum was placed in a smaller room next to a housekeeping storage room (which cut into the size of the room) and also next to the service area/ice maker/back of the house elevators. However, the room was very comfortable. The beds were excellent - better than other SHeratons we have stayed in. Housekeeping service was excellent and the room attendants were very friendly.. As a Platinum level member we had access to the Club Lounge on the 16th floor which seemed like no one else but ourselves ever used it during the entire three day visit. The continental breakfast was very nicely laid out and well attended. We would suggest that the melon be served on ice. It's nice to have access to computers and a printer in the Club lounge as well.
The lobby is spacious and well proportioned with ample seating areas and a large bar with multiple TV screens. There is also a new Starbucks in the lobby which is very nice. Note, although staffed by Sheraton employees, the Starbucks DOES accept the Starbucks cards for beverages etc which was great!
Front desk staff were very nice and helpful - JT (?) on Saturday evening. Marlon was also nice but somewhat short and needs to acknowledge guests waiting in line.
Parking garage is under the hotel. Security note - We like the fact that you need a room key to access all the guest room floors in the hotel - very secure feeling.

One note to management is perhaps brighter ceiling lights in the entryway area of the guest room and maybe lighter paint colors and less orange/brown in the next renovation of guest rooms & hallways.

We would return.

Room Tip: Room x22 is next to the service area Rooms x01 - x04 face the elevator lobby and may hear the eleva...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sheldon J, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
SFDutchman,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us during the first weekend of November. The SPG floor is 14, 15 and 16, the entire floor. SO the only guests on those floors are SPG guests.
Hope to see you next time you are in the area.

Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was here for a meeting with NOAA and the hotel was a perfect location and well recommended. Staff was very friendly however the hotel has horrible management, front desk was swamped with a line when I came to check in and the restaurant only had ONE person working the bar as well as serving tables and doing room service, they event had someone from sales helping her. I thought I would have better luck at Starbucks but nope, same thing if not worst. Ended up walking down to Ellesworth for food.

• Stayed October 2013
Sheldon J, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
During your stay for the NOAA meeting there were numerous groups in the hotel and our outlets were busy and so was the front desk with requests. We reviewed the meeting with the NOAA planner and she was very happy with the restaurant service during lunch and accommodations, so I am sorry to hear about your challenges. We have 2 front desk employees available during the day and evenings, so when you approached the desk one must of been attending to another guest. As for the outlets Starbucks, as most Starbucks is always busy and take care of guests as fast as possible and is usually on a minute of two to get service.

When you come back for future conferences please feel free to contact me directly if you have any concerns during your stay.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Seriously- so far I would say- stay away! It's just not worth the hastel. Apparently when you call the 1-800 Sheridan phone number, they don't have anything to do with this particular hotel......and thus apon checking in, this hotel only had our reservation for two nights instead for the entire week; however, they would gladly DOUBLE the nightly rate so that we could sat for the remaining 6 nights! We were annoyed that Marion would not honor our previous reservation, but simply wanted to go to bed after traveling the whole day. Room #1 was right across from the elevator, room #2 the key did not work..... Went back down to get a new key only to hear that they have not had problems with that door before...... Seriously!!!..... #3 keys still did not work.... Called down from the elevators to wait for her to send up a maintenance guy who after about 20 seconds and countless repetitions of the key up and down was able to get in the room once...... Which reaked like smoke.....finally moved to our final room. It's ok.... It's not near the elevator, the key works and it only smells a little.... But the customer services at this hotel sucks!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Ellie B,
We are part of the Sheraton / Starwood Brand, and our reservations are taken by the 800 number. I have forwarded your comments to our Rooms Director for review and to look into the customer service challenges you had. The experience is not our Brand standard and I know that if you return you will have a different experience. Please feel free to contact me directly with and comments or concerns. Just call the hotel and ask for the General Manager, I value your comments and concerns. The hotel number is (301) 589-0800

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sheraton in Silver Spring, MD for our week vacation in DC. It was cheaper than staying in the District, but close enough to the Metro to enable us to get into town every day.

Our experience with the hotel was pretty standard. It's nice that there is a Starbucks in the lobby, and the restaurant and lounge looked nice, but we didn't use them.

It rained many of the days we were in town and, unfortunately, the hotel did not offer umbrellas to borrow for the day. They did, however, offer a free shuttle anywhere within 3 miles - so we took the shuttle to the Metro a couple days. It's first-come/first-served, so sometimes the shuttle required a bit of a wait, but I think the longest we waited was about 10-15 minutes. They won't let you call from your room to request it; you have to be in the lobby waiting.

We ordered room service one night. It was fast, correct, and tasty. We even asked for extra ketchup and they ran down and brought us back 4 little ketchup bottles!

The bed was pretty hard for me. I woke up every morning with back pain. My boyfriend slept just fine, and he usually has problems. And the pillows are nothing but air. I asked for a firmer pillow and they didn't have any.

If you're looking for a tasty yet simple breakfast/lunch/dinner, the Tastee Diner on Cameron is right around the corner and is great. Also, the deli just across the street was pretty good for quick sandwiches.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We have umbrellas but obviously we do not have enough of them available for our guests. We are ordering more to have them available so guests can check them out during their stay.
Next time you are in town I hope you will stay with us and experience the lounge food and beverage offerings.

Hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have just spent 5 nights at this hotel and my evaluation changed significantly in that time.
It is a 10 minute easy uphill walk from the Silver Spring Metro station and the hotel offers a free shuttle service so that is not an issue.
It is a 15 minute train ride from Union Station but with the service running at 10 minute intervals it was not a problem.
By the end of my stay i felt like a regular commuter and was able to appreciate the warmth of the locals.
The hotel is an older construction but everything was clean and functioning. The brown corporate Sheraton colour scheme hides the freshness.
My room had 2 queen size beds and they were EXCELLENT. They felt like new pillow top mattresses. The linen was fresh and crisp.
There was a decent table to work on and a comfy chair to relax in.
The bathroom was a bit compact but one doesnt live in the bathroom.
The staff were always pleasant, friendly and helpful. I did experience two instances of slow service.
The breakfasts were big and good value. A full breakfast was $15 inc taxes.
The bar snacks/meals were to expectation and not expensive.
Wifi in the lobby/bar/dining area is free and was good enough for skype calls in video. Wifi in the room was at user expense

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Good Morning Mal E,
I wanted to thank you for your comments regarding your stay during October. It sounds like you took full advantage of the amenities of the hotel during your stay. The hotel public areas were renovated a year ago and the new colors are the Sheraton brand colors. We have just started a new Happy Hour and NFL game day in the lounge with special pricing on appetizers and beverages.
I hope you are able to come back for a visit in the future as see the changes to our menus as we just hired a new Chef.

Safe travels.

Washington, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

through the years they have gone through numerous flag changes, but nothing covers up poor service. Front desk rude, restaurant expensive, slow, and moderate quality. Asked for GM to express concerns, waited 20 minutes, asked again and was told he was busy interviewing, REALLY?!?!? I will never stay here again, there are loads more in the area, id advise you do the same.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sheldon J, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Good Morning Darien R,
I am sorry that your experience at the hotel was not what you expected and that you were unable to speak with a Manager on Duty as I was not on property during your stay. We have a MOD at all times on duty at the hotel and I have taken your comment to the departments that you experienced challenges with regarding the service and quality of food. We have just hired a new Executive Chef that will be transforming our food and beverage offering in all of our outlets. I ask that you give us another try and I am sure that you will have a different pleasant experience.
You may call me to discuss this at your convenience, just call the hotel at (301) 589-0800 and ask for the General Manager

I hope to see you back that Sheraton Silver Spring.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Silver Spring
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
#3 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 305 reviews

Been to Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel? Share your experiences!