“Good hotel in the heart of Silver Spring” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8777 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Miami, Florida
“Good hotel in the heart of Silver Spring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for some meetings at my corporate office close by. I picked this hotel because it is within walking distance to the office so obviously super convenient. They also offer a shuttle service which is great. The hotel is also within walking distance of several restaurants and is about a 25-30 min cab ride to Georgetown. The front desk staff was great, very nice and very quick. The hotel lobby is modern with a bar, restaurant and Starbucks. The room fell a little short for me, the bed was comfy but the rugs and the room in general seemed worn to me. The rooms are big and have all the things you would need when on a business trip but felt a little dated. Room service in the morning also took forever, they finally came as I had to leave so did not get to enjoy. Other than that, everything else was fine, rooms just need a little more updating. It was all clean though!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Hello Mga001,

We appreciagte you taking the time to review your stay. I am glad that you were able to use the hotel shuttle and were able to see the city. I am also glad that our front desk staff was able to take care of you while you were here. The hotel will be going thorough a renovation in the next year which will give the rooms a nice facelift and updated look. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

JIll K.

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

A recent stay at the Sheraton for a business meeting was quite pleasurable. The check in was done with ease. The staff were friendly and attentive ensuring that I was being helped/comfortable. Loved the lobby area, I actually sat there in the morning while I waited for the car service to the meeting. The room was nice, clean and comfortable for a short stay. The hotel is just a few steps away from the downtown area of Silver Spring where there are restaurants, theaters and other entertaining venues. However, all is quiet after 7 pm on a Sunday evening where everything seems to be closed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello dbka,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us. We’re glad you stayed with us and appreciate your business. It’s a great to hear that our staff was able to make this a memorable experience for you. We try to ensure that our guest have a pleasant and comfortable room. It’s nice that you were able to sit and relax in the lobby area and to enjoy the atmosphere.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay in Silver Spring recently for my high school reunion, and we chose the Silver Spring Sheraton to host the event. I generally avoid chain hotels, but this was where classmates were staying and it was convenient to park the car and leave it for the weekend (although $14/night was pretty stiff when the room rate was only $95). This is an event-oriented hotel -- weddings, conventions, receptions, bar mitzvahs -- all were going on while we were there. As such, a sense of chaos seems to permeate the place, at least on weekends.

The building did not appear to be worn, tired or sad to me. The reception area is wide and open, the bar area is modern, and there's an interesting office/desk area open to the other areas of the first floor. We saw a nice pool on the 5th floor from our window and were sorry we didn't have time to try it out. The room was very comfortable with good bedding, a decent couch, desk and chair, and plenty of room to spread out. Everything was clean and functional. I hate interior bathrooms that don't have exhaust fans (although I'm seeing it more and more), and this one suffered from the same problem of always feeling damp. A few more towels would have been nice. The in-room iron and ironing board were useful. Front desk staff seemed friendly and anxious to help, although they did appear to be understaffed several times during the weekend. Self-parking is a nice feature.

Food in the banquet room for the event was surprisingly good for a venue of this nature. We had some minor complaints, but all in all, the event was well done. I would never choose to stay here under ordinary circumstances, but for what it was, the Sheraton did a very good job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello Sunsal,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and tell us about your experience you had. I am pleased to hear that you had a good time at your reunion. I appreciate your feedback and will relay this information on to the appropriate departments and see what we can do to improve on the suggestions that you made.

Again, thank you for your comments and hopefully we will see you again when you are in the Silver Spring area.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I recently stayed here- I am a Gold member (and have been Platinum also). The rooms are very old, the shower barely worked, the AC was very noisy, and the room was dirty. This was not an isolated experience, as I asked several other hotel guests about their experiences. What was worse, thought, was the amazing lack of care the general manager, Mark Nelson expressed. He was unresponsive and unprofessional, in my opinion. This is not a hotel worthy of the Sheraton name. Much better local choices are the DoubleTree or the Marriott Courtyard right nearby.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello PKS101,

I am sorry to hear that we did not met your expecations while you were here. The comments that you have provided will be used as training opportunites with our staff to ensure that we can provide quality customer service to all of our guest.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Staying in a Sheraton, one does not expect the noisy window air-conditioning unit usually found in cheap motels. Also the lack of ventilation on the bathroom, so mirrors are getting fogged. And the lack of a safe in the room. All-in-all a disappointing 5-day stay, the Sheraton brand name not worth. However the price was!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Frans K,

I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Sheraton Silver Spring was not up to your expectations. I do appreciate you providing us with the issues you had during your stay and will relay this information on to the appropriate departments so that we can work on these issues. The hotel will be going thorough an update sometime this year and in room safes are part of that, so hopefully we will be able to add those to our in room amenities.

Again, thank you for your input it is appreciated.

Rooms Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

My necklace was stolen from my room. I reported it and they said they would look onto it. Every day I'd ask if anything had come of their "search", they acted like they had never heard of it before! The room wasn't cleaned on a couple of occasions and when I asked for clean towels they said I had opted for the green choice( didn't want the room cleaned that day) which was absolutely false. Overall this place has very irresponsible and uninterested staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello Radsdr,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you had during your stay and I am extremely sorry that we were not able to assist you. I was not aware of the issues you experienced and feel horrible that we were not able to resolve this for you. The information you have given me will help with training of our team members to ensure that this does not happen again. Again, I am so sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay that you should have, but I do thank your for your feedback.

Rooms Manager
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

If all that mattered was the hotel's location and the attitude of the staff then I would give this property 5 stars. The location is easy to get to and the staff couldn't be more helpful or accommodating. Unfortunately, the building is physically tired and awkwardly laid out. The lobby is far from welcoming, the bar area uncomfortable and the hallways somewhat run down. The rooms are comfortable due mostly to the bedding. The bathroom is tiny and the closet just a rack with a curtain. The whole place needs renovating. Still, if you just need an okay place for a night or two, I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheldon J, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Good Morning BruceSXM,

Thank you for your comments, We have made some changes to the seating area of the Bar/Lounge and they seem to be very well received. Our Happy Hour menu along with our nightly specials created by our new Chef are a hit.

I hope that you will come back and give us another try.

Sheldon Johnson

Been to Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel? Share your experiences!