“Improved but Still Has Work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8777 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Improved but Still Has Work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my second stay at Sheraton Silver Spring in 6 months and I will give them credit for many improvements since I last reviewed the hotel in August 2012 when I failed them with a one star. That's not to say they are perfect yet, but they are close.

Hotel and Rooms - The construction in the lobby appears to be complete and the restaurant and bar were hopping with life. Before, the place was vacant as guests avoided the saw dust. Reception boasted that the construction to the main floor was complete but the rooms had still not been worked on. This explains that worn look I noticed before. However, this time my suite appeared to be in better shape and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby.

Amenities - The gym was upgraded with the Sheraton theme, but the machines already appeared to be broken. Guests waited in line for the treadmills and elliptical machines that actually worked. I ordered room service and the food was quite good. The service was quick. The kitchen made an error and sent fries instead of a side salad. Room service quickly fixed the error. She must have ran through the hotel to fix it.

Lounge - I did not visit the lounge in the evening as I had dinner plans, but I had breakfast there. Again, much improved from last time. They actually had bacon and eggs. The coffee was terrible though. It tasted like motor oil. And I like strong coffee Management needs to work with the host to hold back on the beans.

Parking - I did not valet my car this time as I did not want to be late for another appointment while they worked out the kinks. However, they are still clueless for parking. When I drove down there, per instructions from the front desk, the gates were open and no attendant was in sight. I drove right to a parking spot and left the car. When I left the next day, I presented the parking attendant with the paper the front desk said to use. He had no clue and asked for my room folio. I get these emailed to me so I had none. He paused for a moment to think and then let me go.

Billing Error - I did have to call on a billing error. Platinum guests are to enjoy free WiFi. I was charged. I called accounting and the error was quickly fixed.

Elevators - The last time I was there, one was being worked on. This time, they were super slow. I actually got stuck on one for a few moments. It appears the motherboards can't handle peak usage times.

Area - Silver Spring is a short (10 minute) walk to the metro and then a 20 minute ride to DC. Silver Spring itself is nice, but nothing that really wows you. There are restaurants but the area just seems a bit run down. I saying this having lived in downtown silver spring 10 years ago. The revitalization of the downtown with moving the Discovery HQ there really did nothing for the area. Sure, more restaurants opened up, but all seemed quite dead, like they were starving for business.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shawn M, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear The Wandering Gourmand:

Thank you for your most recent review. We are delighted to hear that you found your most recent stay better than you last stay with us. We value your feedback and we always use the customers voice to help us improve. We have passed your compliments as well as feedback along to our staff.

We're looking forward to your next visit!

Shawn M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This review is limited to how the Sheraton Silver Spring treats its guests during a conference. In essence, Sheraton seems to have charged the conference organizers for 3 nights during my time at a conference. Yet, I was only there for two nights. I wondered if this was going to be an issue, when they had issues with swiftly checking me in, and when I called the week before, they had issues finding my reservation.

About a month after the conference, it looks like the Sheraton Silver Spring charged the conference organizers for 3 nights stay, when I was only there for 2 nights. It has been four months and I called a few times and never heard back on the resolution (pay the organizers the one night overcharge). The organizers themselves have not been aggressive and only heard something 3 months after all of this.

I'm disgusted by the lack of appropriate responsiveness to this issue. In particular, this is several hundred dollars that the Sheraton Silver Spring has taken from an overworked and hectic nonprofit conference. The money was intended to cover travel for attendees. I'm convinced there are other overcharges involving other attendees, but I'm guessing I'm one of the few folks willing to keep on checking on the status, rather than not worry about it and let this hotel keep extra money from the folks who attended this conference.

Terrible.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Myron Q,

Thank you for your time and comments about your recent visit. We are disappointed that your experience was not to your or our expectations. I would personally like to address this issue as this is the first time I'm hearing about it. It appears that our team dropped the ball with your interactions.

Please accept our sincerest apologies as this is not the culture we instill or expect from associates.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity when travels bring you back to the Silver Spring area so that we may redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed for five nights and was very happy with the hotel. I was pleased with my King room, which was clean, and the furnishings were contemporary, if carefully neutral. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The only drawbacks are the small bathroom and the comparatively small number of cable channels. Its a bit drafty by the AC unit.

The staff was great, and when I reported that my room had not been made up, the front desk clerk seemed genuinely stricken. In retrospect, I may have inadvertently caused this by having my DND out till about 9:00 a.m. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the elevator doors or the ice closet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pegram, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I was here on business for a week. The hotel is in a great location, a couple blocks from the Metro stop as well as shopping and good eats. I understand this property has had quite the makeover. The lobby is very nice. Awesome 24 hr gym. The hotel restaurant gave me free milk every morning so I could make a protein drink. Not that big of a deal, but they could have charged me $2 for it like most places. They probably have the best business center of any hotel I have worked in. A very large portion of the lobby corralled off with ample place to work. I took advantage of this almost every night. The rooms were fine. Probably need another overhaul on the bathroom, but clean and passable. The only real negative I had were the sheets on the bed. They felt like sandpaper. Quite possibly the worst sheets I have ever slept on. I had to wear a long sleeve t shirt to bed to even make it possible to sleep. Itchy!!! The bed was comfy though. Overall, a good business choice if you are ever in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
Shawn M, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hello Rockstar89,

We want to thank you for your great comments regarding The Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Silver Spring Area.

I apologize about the sheets on your bed, and we will ensure that the curing process is being followed consistently. We truly appreciate the feedback.

Be well.

LITTLE ROCK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is pretty nice with well appointed rooms. Staff is friendly and helpful. The AC, at least in my room, made a bit of noise and the water pressure in the shower was bad. All in all, I probably would choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Little Rock,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your stay. It’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay, and we truly appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve.

Jill K.
Rooms Division Manager
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Third stay - why go back? Only because I'm Platinum elite and want the free breakfast and want to requalify. But I can promise you it's not so that I can stay here more often! Many screw-ups yet the staff seems empowered enough to try to make things right. But still...

Called to say we would be checking in late but that I knew there was still a City Suite available and I would be grateful, as a Platinum and return guest, if it was blocked for me. "No problem" but I guess it was a problem. Our son lives nearby so we need a go-to place in Silver
Spring. When I mentioned my previous call, I was given free parking and a drink coupon.

My status got me upgraded to the Club floor. That certainly can make a trip easier but this particular club has gone way downhill. Found out the first day when we went to the Club on Saturday at 9 AM to find breakfast closed down. We were informed that they only serve breakfast until 8:30 AM! "On a weekend?!" Very annoying but again, called the front desk and told them I expected breakfast at the restaurant and was told to come down and get my certificates.

In addition, in the late afternoon, there was once again wine and beer, but now they charge for it! Excuse me, but I can get that at the bar. Went to use the computer - I have free internet as a Platinum but I needed to print something. Believe it or not, the person in the Club did not know the password and the person at the front desk said they didn't know it either!

Finally, when we checked in Friday night, there was a mess on the carpet - someone had dropped potato chips and they were all crushed. When we left Sunday morning, they were still there.

Yes, it's an old hotel. And the staff was responsive whenever I complained. But it really is subpar. I've been lucky to stay at many wonderful hotels and I don't expect them to live up to the St Regis in NY or the Park Hyatt in Paris, but this place is simply sub-par. We'll try the Doubletree next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shawn M, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Mr. Stevens397,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your recent stay. It’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay, and we truly appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve.

My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered while staying at the hotel. We value your business and always strive for you to leave here more refreshed than you arrived!

Please contact me personally when your travels bring you back to Silver Spring.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you're in Silver Spring and this was a last minute. I got to town an evening early, before a business trip in anticipation of inclement weather. Check was easy peasy and the person at reception was sweet. The hotel has self parking which is cool, however you have to return to your car to put the ticket in the window. So I recommend checking in and then driving your car into the garage.

My room was on the club floor adequately spacious, noticeably clean and with no particular view, simply over looked the parking lot. As a matter of fact all of the rooms had the same view. I was told ad check in the club lounge closed at 8 p. When I walked in the club at 7p the gentleman keeper of the club was preparing closing.at 7:15 he gave notice to all in members for food.

As mini pizza was on the menu. I sat relaxed and then ventured to Mila for salad and wine. There was not hostess or bartender in either area. Once I inquired at the front desk I was graciously assisted. The food was good and while eating and watching the all star game I notice the parking garage attendant is now the bell man. I guess, he starts at 8pm. No biggie, I'm a light packer. He was very nice but now I questioned my security does the guy in parking lot have the master key to my room as well??? Just a thought..

The next morning, I went to the fitness center and then decided to have breakfast in the club. They were out of regular coffee at 9am. The attendant was MIA. There was no garbage can for refuse. There was not even salt and pepper shakers available on a Monday morning. The attendant did eventually accommodate all breakfast request.

I returned to my room to iron a shirt and the iron was ICE cold. I went to work wrinkled. The best part of this stay was the room size and food. Not to mention the staff as a whole were extremely friendly. Everyone I encountered said Hello or Good Morning.

Room Tip: Floor top floor corner room 17.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello DMoniqueRenee,

We want to thank you for your great comments regarding our Hotel, food, Staff and their service. We appreciate all feedback in regards to your stay, and we always want to ensure all guests expectations are met.. Please give me a call to discuss in further detail some of your concerns and service you experienced at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Sheraton Silver Spring..

Be well.

Shawn M.

Been to Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel? Share your experiences!