This is my second stay at Sheraton Silver Spring in 6 months and I will give them credit for many improvements since I last reviewed the hotel in August 2012 when I failed them with a one star. That's not to say they are perfect yet, but they are close.
Hotel and Rooms - The construction in the lobby appears to be complete and the restaurant and bar were hopping with life. Before, the place was vacant as guests avoided the saw dust. Reception boasted that the construction to the main floor was complete but the rooms had still not been worked on. This explains that worn look I noticed before. However, this time my suite appeared to be in better shape and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby.
Amenities - The gym was upgraded with the Sheraton theme, but the machines already appeared to be broken. Guests waited in line for the treadmills and elliptical machines that actually worked. I ordered room service and the food was quite good. The service was quick. The kitchen made an error and sent fries instead of a side salad. Room service quickly fixed the error. She must have ran through the hotel to fix it.
Lounge - I did not visit the lounge in the evening as I had dinner plans, but I had breakfast there. Again, much improved from last time. They actually had bacon and eggs. The coffee was terrible though. It tasted like motor oil. And I like strong coffee Management needs to work with the host to hold back on the beans.
Parking - I did not valet my car this time as I did not want to be late for another appointment while they worked out the kinks. However, they are still clueless for parking. When I drove down there, per instructions from the front desk, the gates were open and no attendant was in sight. I drove right to a parking spot and left the car. When I left the next day, I presented the parking attendant with the paper the front desk said to use. He had no clue and asked for my room folio. I get these emailed to me so I had none. He paused for a moment to think and then let me go.
Billing Error - I did have to call on a billing error. Platinum guests are to enjoy free WiFi. I was charged. I called accounting and the error was quickly fixed.
Elevators - The last time I was there, one was being worked on. This time, they were super slow. I actually got stuck on one for a few moments. It appears the motherboards can't handle peak usage times.
Area - Silver Spring is a short (10 minute) walk to the metro and then a 20 minute ride to DC. Silver Spring itself is nice, but nothing that really wows you. There are restaurants but the area just seems a bit run down. I saying this having lived in downtown silver spring 10 years ago. The revitalization of the downtown with moving the Discovery HQ there really did nothing for the area. Sure, more restaurants opened up, but all seemed quite dead, like they were starving for business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly renovated Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel is situated in the heart of downtown just minutes away from charming shops and restaurants, and quick access to anywhere in the Washington, D.C. area via the Metro which is only 3 blocks away from the hotel. The Sheraton offers complimentary shuttle transportation within 3 miles. For those trips that are outside the 3 miles the Sheraton has and in-house car service that is very competitively priced. The service is available for local runs as well as airports pickups and drop offs. Please call Guest Services for pricing. For your dining pleasure the Hotel has Mica Restaurant for Breakfast and Lunch.With a full menu and a breakfast buffet guests will be delighted with the choices available. Mica Lounge opens for Dinner and late evening snacks. Offering a Social Hour Menu from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM daily with specials starting at $5.00. Mica has 6 Flat screen TV's so that travelers do not miss their favorite team or even their favorite Television series. The Sheraton also offer room service from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM 7 days a week. For the extra special occasions the Sheraton has Jr. Suites and One Bedroom Suites available both with Club Lounge access. So when visiting Silver Spring, MD try out the newly renovated Sheraton and make sure to sign up for the SPG rewards program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Silver Spring
- Silver Spring Crowne Plaza