“OK, but not great hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel

You added Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8777 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington DC Silver Spring)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
LITTLE ROCK
“OK, but not great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is pretty nice with well appointed rooms. Staff is friendly and helpful. The AC, at least in my room, made a bit of noise and the water pressure in the shower was bad. All in all, I probably would choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Little Rock,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your stay. It’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay, and we truly appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve.

Jill K.
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Third stay - why go back? Only because I'm Platinum elite and want the free breakfast and want to requalify. But I can promise you it's not so that I can stay here more often! Many screw-ups yet the staff seems empowered enough to try to make things right. But still...

Called to say we would be checking in late but that I knew there was still a City Suite available and I would be grateful, as a Platinum and return guest, if it was blocked for me. "No problem" but I guess it was a problem. Our son lives nearby so we need a go-to place in Silver
Spring. When I mentioned my previous call, I was given free parking and a drink coupon.

My status got me upgraded to the Club floor. That certainly can make a trip easier but this particular club has gone way downhill. Found out the first day when we went to the Club on Saturday at 9 AM to find breakfast closed down. We were informed that they only serve breakfast until 8:30 AM! "On a weekend?!" Very annoying but again, called the front desk and told them I expected breakfast at the restaurant and was told to come down and get my certificates.

In addition, in the late afternoon, there was once again wine and beer, but now they charge for it! Excuse me, but I can get that at the bar. Went to use the computer - I have free internet as a Platinum but I needed to print something. Believe it or not, the person in the Club did not know the password and the person at the front desk said they didn't know it either!

Finally, when we checked in Friday night, there was a mess on the carpet - someone had dropped potato chips and they were all crushed. When we left Sunday morning, they were still there.

Yes, it's an old hotel. And the staff was responsive whenever I complained. But it really is subpar. I've been lucky to stay at many wonderful hotels and I don't expect them to live up to the St Regis in NY or the Park Hyatt in Paris, but this place is simply sub-par. We'll try the Doubletree next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shawn M, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Mr. Stevens397,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review about your recent stay. It’s not great to hear that you had issues with your stay, and we truly appreciate your feedback which allows us to improve.

My apologies for the inconveniences you encountered while staying at the hotel. We value your business and always strive for you to leave here more refreshed than you arrived!

Please contact me personally when your travels bring you back to Silver Spring.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you're in Silver Spring and this was a last minute. I got to town an evening early, before a business trip in anticipation of inclement weather. Check was easy peasy and the person at reception was sweet. The hotel has self parking which is cool, however you have to return to your car to put the ticket in the window. So I recommend checking in and then driving your car into the garage.

My room was on the club floor adequately spacious, noticeably clean and with no particular view, simply over looked the parking lot. As a matter of fact all of the rooms had the same view. I was told ad check in the club lounge closed at 8 p. When I walked in the club at 7p the gentleman keeper of the club was preparing closing.at 7:15 he gave notice to all in members for food.

As mini pizza was on the menu. I sat relaxed and then ventured to Mila for salad and wine. There was not hostess or bartender in either area. Once I inquired at the front desk I was graciously assisted. The food was good and while eating and watching the all star game I notice the parking garage attendant is now the bell man. I guess, he starts at 8pm. No biggie, I'm a light packer. He was very nice but now I questioned my security does the guy in parking lot have the master key to my room as well??? Just a thought..

The next morning, I went to the fitness center and then decided to have breakfast in the club. They were out of regular coffee at 9am. The attendant was MIA. There was no garbage can for refuse. There was not even salt and pepper shakers available on a Monday morning. The attendant did eventually accommodate all breakfast request.

I returned to my room to iron a shirt and the iron was ICE cold. I went to work wrinkled. The best part of this stay was the room size and food. Not to mention the staff as a whole were extremely friendly. Everyone I encountered said Hello or Good Morning.

Room Tip: Floor top floor corner room 17.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello DMoniqueRenee,

We want to thank you for your great comments regarding our Hotel, food, Staff and their service. We appreciate all feedback in regards to your stay, and we always want to ensure all guests expectations are met.. Please give me a call to discuss in further detail some of your concerns and service you experienced at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Sheraton Silver Spring..

Be well.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was delighted to find a Starwood property in downtown Silver Spring and began staying there in November 2012. Every stay has been been consistently good. Acommodations are well situated, spacious rooms and comfortable space; bed, desk and sitting area. The lobby offerred great open space to visit with friends, the Bar was nicely tucked into the lobby with enough privacy to distinguish it from the balance of the open space; food, drink and service was great. I was extremely impressed with the Front Desk staff and their pleasantry and professionalism. Check in was extremely efficient. Key operated elevator provided an added security measure! This property has the right recipe for success, Good Space, Great Staff and overall a winning location - with time, some of the minor tweaks will be handled in the Sheraton style and brought to the level that will assure this hotel's longevity. We need a good spacious hotel like the Sheraton in vibrant downtown Silver Spring! Welcome Sheraton and you will be seeing more of me!

Room Tip: The hotel has a great Club Floor, if a roomrate is available that offers access to this floor, go fo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Joseph Y,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your comments on the level of service you received from our staff. I’m glad you had a nice stay with us and enjoy our proximity to the many restaurants and night life. We look forward to your next stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel.

I also would like you to reach out to me personally on your next stay.

Be Well,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was weary of booking this hotel because of the reviews on here and hotels.com. But I was very happy with our stay. The staff was friendly, room immaculate, bed comfy. There are some things that this hotel doesn't have that would make it way better though: This hotel does not have 1. free wi-fi, 2. a microwave, 3. a fridge. I knew it was lacking those amenities when I booked it so I wasn't shocked or disappointed when I got there. The rate for this hotel is lower that other hotels in very close vicinity and the location is great. That's where the majority of its value is. I booked this place last minute for NYE and the total was in the double digits and that includes tax. I'd book here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Old hotel that needs a new lease on life. Silver Springs maybe in the right county, but the building needs to go. Remnants of bad 70's design. Arch walls, tiny inoperable windows, heat coming out of an old dusty box, oh my. Lousy water pressure, slow sink on the 14th floor and bugs on the15th and 11th floor. Not a standard business class hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hello Onepinoy,

I am so sorry that we did not met your exceptions during your stay. The issues you encountered during your stay are not part of our standards and we appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. If possible I would like to speak with you to get further details of your stay, if you would be so kind as to call the hotel and ask for me I would enjoy the opportunity to speak with you directly.

Thank you.
KIN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel was fully renovated and equipped (unlike the impression I had gotten from previous reviews). The fixtures in the room appeared new and rooms were very clean and tastefully decorated. The sleep quality was excellent thanks to the very comfortable beds. The lobby is very comfortable with flat screen TVs showing news channels and a separate, quiet work area equipped with wireless internet, computers and printers for guests. The lobby also houses the entrance of the restaurant Mica. The location is very convenient: downtown Silver Spring which is a very nice, safe area, very close to shopping, and within walking distance of the metro station and restaurants. There is a free shuttle service (within a three mile radius), which gives you access to pretty much everything you will need during your visit. All other destinations are within access of the metro (WMATA) which provides a short 15 minute trip to Washington DC. The customer service I received at this hotel has been phenomenal: the bellhop serviceman Mr Terry was very informative, knowledgeable about the entire area, very kind and very courteous- he made my trip and to-do list a lot easier than I expected it to be. The receptionists were always very helpful, well informed and warm (especially Nefertiti). This Sheraton Hotel provided great value for money with truly remarkable service.

Room Tip: Whatever your preference: speak to the receptionists: they will definitely assist you by choosing an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel? Share your experiences!