“Nice but needs some fixes” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Zion
“Nice but needs some fixes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Overall - a very pleasant experience. One of the best Comfort Inns I've frequented.

Pros - The entire staff was excellent. Very helpful and knowledgeable of the area (DC).
- The room was clean and comfortable.
- Breakfast was great

Cons - Parking Charge. Really????
- Extra electrical outlets on the wall behind the nightstands did not work

Room Tip: Hotel is less than 10 minutes from the White House.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Freeport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I came down with family for my birthday weekend to visit my brother and see a concert at the Fillmore ....It was a great location and they offer a shuttle !! The staff was very friendly and always made sure my family was good..The breakfast was buffet style and offered eggs, sausage,bagels, cereal, waffles etc...Donna,guest service rep, always made sure the area was clean and restocked and you had everything you needed ...Our room was well maintained !!! The only thing was parking is tight! ,...you paid $10 a night but on the weekend the garage right next to the hotel is FREE !! When we addressed it and parked at the garage the next night, the staff returned our $10 for a night on each car.....THANK YOU to all staff members for a good weekend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We arrived in a cold night for us who just arrived from Florida, and the lady Jessica Evans was so nice and help us to get our room very quickly, and she gave us a nice room with nice view. Too bad we stayed only for 2 nights. If we able to back again to DC, I will choose this hotel again, even though its far from town. Great room, great service, and reasonable price!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the Comfort Inn Georgia Ave because we wanted to attend a concert at the Fillmore in Silver Spring and perhaps wander around DC a bit. The staff was all very friendly and hospitable and for the price paid compared to the prices asked by other hotels in the area the hotel is a good value. We plan to stay there again in the future, and hopefully by the time we return the renovations and upgrades will be finished. Our room was small, it had enough space for the 2 beds, a nightstand, a desk with chair, a tv stand/armoire with a nice new flat screen tv, the small fridge with the microwave and coffee maker, the luggage rack and 1 "comfy chair" with ottoman. I wish it had been a tiny bit bigger and had room for a table with 2 chairs but I've certainly stayed in smaller hotel rooms in my life. I think partly its an adjustment to urban space, to get used to the smaller closet, smaller bathroom etc.

When we stayed there they were in the middle of upgrading the furniture in the rooms and there were signs posted for travelers warning them that unassembled furniture might be stashed in the rooms waiting for the workers to install, specifically headboards and mirrors. True to their word we had both leaning up against the wall in various spots in the room which might have been a bit unsightly and not very "luxury" hotel feeling, but didn't actually impact our stay at all except for the visual. It made sense though, they had nowhere to put everything once it was delivered so each room's new furniture was basically put in the room until the crews got to that room to remove the old and install the new. Beyond that the rooms needed new wallpaper, you could see a few patches etc, and I think we had one tiny spot of carpet that needed a patch but all I really cared was the carpet was clean, and it was. The wifi and fridge worked well, the fridge almost too well since I ended up with a coke zero slushy and an iced coffee slushy during our stay. Honestly, I didn't mind that at all, better icy drinks then warm food if you have to pick.

The beds had been upgraded with decent matresses, decent linens and the new style of duvet where they put the sheets on both sides of it vs the old style of bedspread or blankets that rarely got washed. All of the linens were spotless, and my only quibble is despite the fact there were 4 pillow per bed they were small pillows. I'd have much preferred 2-3 larger ones. Because I have some neck/back issues I always pack my own pillow when we vacation and this time I forgot, so there was a bit of arranging trying to get stuff just right with the smaller pillows. If they'd been full sized I think I'd have been fine.

Bathroom was tiny, but like everything else clean and had a reasonable stash of toiletries in it. Plenty of towels and all that stuff. The counter around our sink was cracked and had been repaired, which might have bothered me except I could tell from the furniture that our room was about to be redone and that issue would be addressed then. It didn't affect our stay any, and was fully functional just a pinch unsightly. We did inquire about it when we checked out, if only to make sure it wasn't blamed on us and they apologized and said it was on the upgrade/renovation list and they chided us a bit that if we'd mentioned it when we arrived they'd have been happy to move us. I suspect that the check-in staff didn't know what room that sink was in, even though it was on the list of repairs -particularly since it was a cosmetic vs functional problem. We told them honestly it was so late when we checked in that we'd seen it, had a 1 minute conversation between ourselves about it, decided we didn't care and it wasn't worth the effort to get a room change. If we'd been paying $150+ a night I'd have asked for a different room, but at nearly midnight, for only 2 nights, and with us needing a smoking room and everything in the room being clean and usable (and the hotel rather booked) I didn't mind. Especially since we were paying in the $70's.

I'm confident by the time we get back there for another weekend that if we were to book the same room the counter would be replaced and everything would be new and shiny. I just hope the price won't have gone up a lot when they're done. Its already a good value and when the renovations are finished it will be a great value. If you stay there in the near future you can always ask specifically for a room where the renovations are complete, they seemed to be working hard at them so it shouldn't take long until its no longer an issue.

Breakfast area is small, we didn't get a chance to partake of it, but it looked like they had an ok assortment of items for that price point and we didn't hear any other hotel guests complain about it. The neighborhood is a bit gritty, but that's the city for you. There is a security guard in the hotel lobby all night, and you have to get buzzed in the entrance. Parking is tight and costs $10 a day but we never had a problem getting a space. The hotel is built so basically only the lobby is on the ground floor, surrounded by parking with the rest of the hotel built above it. We felt safe walking to/from our cars at all hours but I'd definitely keep my car locked and wouldn't leave stuff visible in the car. We stashed the gps, but left the faceplate on the stereo if that gives you any indication as to how we felt about the neighborhood. There's a 7-11 within sight of the hotel, I'd walk there alone during the day but only with other people at night. If you're more used to urban life then I am it probably wouldn't bother you, but without knowing the neighborhood better my personal choice would be to err on the side of intelligent caution.

To sum it up, we plan to stay there again. Its a really good value for the price with some caveats. Anybody who's used to budget hotels will be quite satisfied, if you're a Ritz & Carlton type, then it might not suit you.

Room Tip: They're in the middle of renovating and updating the rooms with new furniture etc, so feel ask f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel was great a price vs the other places we looked at in DC. The room was clean and well maintained. The bed was comfortable and the shower had good water pressure. Staff called the room after we checked in to ensure it was acceptable. Breakfast was buffet style and offered a decent selection, though the area was small so it was sometimes hard to get a table.

The hotel is about a 10 minute fast walk from the metro that will get you into DC in 20 minutes. There was also a shuttle, though we didn't use it.The area immediately around the hotel is quiet pedestrian wise but there is a large mall on the way from the metro including a few restaurants and a large supermarket.

A few words of warning - there was track maintenance going on the metro the day we were leaving and my girlfriend had to wait an hour for a train and almost missed her connection to the airport. Best to be aware.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms right next to the elevator. The first night there were people coming back all hours and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this property for four days in mid October. The hotel was above average and the service was excellent. The Valet/Doorman/Shuttle Driver Eyob was especially helpful in answering all our questions and accomadating our needs. The hotel has a Shuttle that takes you to the Metro Station and other areas close to the property and is always on time. I would definitely stay at this Hotel again. Thanks Eyob for your Hospitality . The rest of the staff was superior as well. Being from South Florida it was nice to have friendly and attentive customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Freeport, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while I was visiting Washington DC. Compared to the hotels in DC this one is a pretty good value; it's significantly less expensive than the hotels closer to the capital and it's actually a pretty nice hotel. The room I stayed in looked to be recently updated and was clean. The room was small but not so small that I felt cramped. The free breakfast was as good or slightly better than most I've seen and the staff was friendly and seemed to be interested in taking care of its guests. It is $10 a day to park which is a little annoying since it is outdoor parking but not outrageous. The neighborhood appears to be nice and there are nearby food options if you want to walk somewhere for dinner. You can walk to the Metro station in about 10 minutes and there is a hotel shuttle to the station that runs on weekdays as well. The ride to DC takes about 20 minutes on the Metro. Overall, for the price I was pleased with the hotel and it was not that far away from DC; it's really a good deal when you compare the prices of other hotels closer to downtown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Georgia Ave/DC Gateway? Share your experiences!