“Never Again!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
New York City
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was surprised when I entered the hot stuffy lobby to check in, to see the front desk enclosed in Plexiglass as if it were a bank. Strange I thought. When I gave my name, my reservation for two rooms was verified and I was given the invoices to sign. Before doing so I noticed two different prices for the two nights the rooms were booked. I gave the manager my booking confirmation print out and he instructed the clerk who did not seem to know what he was doing, to make the change.
The place is filthy, run down, and in need of remodeling. It's so bad, it should be condemned. The stairs leading to the second floor are made of iron, and the have holes and broken pieces on them. the walls, doors haven't seen paint in a long time. The air conditioner in the room I went into did not work well, the smoke alarm was hanging off the wall, the drawer handles were broken, and the toilet had no seat cover. In addition, there were insects flying in the room and I killed a roach with my shoe that was crawling on the wall.
The bed I slept on had no mattress cover, the bottom sheet was not fitted, so it came off and I found myself sleeping on plastic covering. The coffee maker in both rooms were never washed and cleaned. The property was chosen because of its close proximity to Washington, DC.
I've stayed in many Days Inn properties before and never experienced anything like what I did at this location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Joe06309, General Manager at Days Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
onesun4me,
During the time of your stay we were updating and renovating rooms. We would like to invite you to re-visit us and experience the updates. At your earliest convenience please give us a call so we can make your reservation. The number is (301) 588-4400.
General Manager,
Joe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Huntingtown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Nice enough room but for the extra $15 over the connected TraveLodge thought we were getting complimentary breakfast. Desk attendant seemed a little disconnected. Ice machine on 2nd floor of TraveLodge. No snack vending machines but plenty of soda machines!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Joe06309, General Manager at Days Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks for your review Ms. Judy W. The ice machine was being repaired and I am so sorry this was an inconvenience to you. Our goal is to make your trip and your stay with us very enjoyable. I am sorry that the repair of that machine fell on your trip, but know we would like you to come and give us another try. Thanks again and see you soon.
Jackson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Despite advertising a business center computer on its website, this property had none. It's never a good sign to walk into a lobby and see immediately a paper sign saying "Our computer is down sorry for the inconvenience." Not all of us travel with laptops. What's more, the first staff member said "we probably need a new computer." A second staff member blamed this on a guest who "messed it up" and falsely told me it would be repaired by the next morning. Ultimately, I learned the computer was down for a week continuously, with no apparent effort to fix it.
Also, my "non-smoking" room was on the end next to the storage area and outdoor walkway; whoever was smoking caused the smoke to filter in, making my bathroom and the whole entranceway to the room smoky.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thanks you for your review Mr. Roger S. Our business center computer was not operable during your stay and for that I am sorry. Please know that it is working and we look forward to your next visit with us.
Bryson City, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place is old and very run down. Nothing works. The pool was closed, the computer in the lobby was out of service, lights in our room didn't work, the sink would not drain, the fridge froze our food and water. I picked this hotel (really just a small motel) because of the price and proximity to DC, but I wished I had paid more and stayed someplace nicer. I even convinced my sister and her family to stay with us and I was so embarrassed when we got there. Of the seven of us in three rooms, three of us in two rooms got bitten by bed bugs and asked for our rooms to be changed. There is not enough parking for everyone and they had a huge dumpster in the parking lot taking up several spaces so that made it even worse. When my granddaughter's stuffed toy got taken by the housekeeping staff by mistake when the sheets were changed on the bed, no one could find it, and the office staff insisted they did not have it. My daughter had to go back to the office and demand that they check again and very grudgingly they checked and found it in about 5 minutes. The housekeeping staff does not speak any English, so we could not ask them for anything. Do yourself a favor and book some place nicer. You will be glad you did.

Room Tip: Find somewhere nicer to stay, you'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Joe06309, General Manager at Days Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Robin, thanks for your review. We are sorry the pool was out of service during your stay, no that we are improving the property as we speak with upgraded amenity and our goal is to provide our guest with the best of service. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me. Joe 301-588-4400 Thanks again

Been to Days Inn Silver Spring? Share your experiences!