“Clean rooms, but loud guests and uncomfortable pillows” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Sacramento, California
“Clean rooms, but loud guests and uncomfortable pillows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring for a Friday night. I got in a bit late around 10:30pm, so the only rooms left were on the first floor (I generally prefer higher floors). Upon entering the room, it was clean and up to Marriott standards. After a few minutes, I did notice that I can clearly hear a baby crying loudly in the room next to me. Not sure if the walls could use some more sound-proofing, but it was loud enough to definitely be noticeable. That went on for about an hour or so, and then I'm assuming they went to sleep. However, at that time, in the room on the other side of me, I noticed some very loud talking. They walked in and out of the room a few times, and it was 2 males and 2 females. They were very sketchy looking, and were talking loudly, laughing, cussing, etc. until about 3:00am. To add to it, while the bed at this Courtyard appears comfortable, the pillows are not. The pillows seem to become flat very easily, and didn't really match up to the pillows I'm used to at other Marriott properties. Overall, the room was clean, the service at the front desk was good as usual, and we got the room at a great rate. Unfortunately, the sleep quality could be improved.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so happy that our Associate's and guest room was up to standard. However, I am very sorry to hear that your night's rest was disturbed by noise from adjacent rooms. The noise level is difficult to control but next time please contact the Front Desk immediately and we will discreetly make a call to the neighboring rooms.

I am also very sorry to hear that the pillows were not up to standard. We are currently going through a room renovation that includes new bed and pillows. Hopefully you will be able to return in the future and see our new rooms and bedding.

We appreciate your patronage of our hotel and hope that you will try us again.

Danielle Hood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The staff here has been very friendly. However, I think their rooms need updating.

The lobby has been redesigned with a big tv and a café like atmosphere. There's some good breakfast and dinner selections as well as an espresso bar.

I would like much better if they got some more updated décor and more comfortable beds in the guest rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I was so very pleased to read you comments regarding our staff and the lobby/Bistro but I was disappointed to read that you found the rooms to be dated. However, I am happy to report that we are now undergoing a room renovation which will address the dated issue. This renovation will end on April 15th. We are very excited to show off our new rooms, so we hope that you will return soon and let us know what you think.

Thanks again for your patronage and we hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you should your travels return you to Silver Spring North/Calverton area.

Ruckersville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The location is very convient and the front desk staff was very helpful. The room however was not cleaned to Marriott standards. The ice bucket still contained water from the last fuest and there were a few dead bugs in the bathroom.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Please allow me to thank you for the comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback though we regret that your experience did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our deepest apologies. We strive to give our guests best in class service and cleanliness and we are so very disappointed that we did not provide that for you during your stay.
Please consider giving us another opportunity to serve you and please notify me when you are coming in. I will be happy to personally make your reservation. Again, we appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you should your travels bring you back to the Silver Spring area.

Danielle M. Hood
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We came for a family event to be held 2 miles from the hotel near US-29. Staff were nice at check in. Even though I had booked through a discounter for a really good rate, we got full service and a lovely room. The pull out couch was a nice extra when our daughter dropped in unexpectedly. I recommend this hotel for its basic, clean and really quiet location.

Room Tip: The indoor pool and the spacious lobby with free coffee were nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I am so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Silver Spring North Courtyard by Marriott. My entire Team thanks you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay. I hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again should your travels return you to the Silver Spring area.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were disappointed in the quality of the front desk service as well as other employees in the lobby at this Marriott. We were there over the weekend Hurricane Sandy hit and I fully appreciate the staff was worried about their families and their own safety but they bordered on being almost rude to the travelers that also had to stay in an unfamiliar surrounding. The internet was not working (prior to the storm) and again the front desk was extremely unhelpful in assisting us. The Marriott corp is known for Customer Service and this facility was Customer "No Service"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am so very disappointed to read that you did not feel Welcome and cared for during your stay at the hotel. I can certainly understand how off-putting it must have been to be in unfamiliar surroundings during an emergency and have the staff be so neglectful as to appear rude.
Please allow me to apologize that this was the poor impression that we made. We strive to provide the very best service to our guests so that made reading your comments all more disappointing.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the hope that we can renew your confidence in our hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel was chosen because of its proximity to my business assignment. But it turned out to be worthwhile for much more than proximity. The complimentary Internet access was reliable and very adequate enabling me to work early mornings and late evenings, keeping in touch with my Australian office and work tasks. The printer access was fantastic. The room was comfortable and very clean. The layout of the foyer used space well and came across as contemporary.
The staff were always responsive to needs, whether that was at check-in or day or evening or a simple error in the final account - which was fixed with no fuss and a positive spirit.
I can only give this hotel and its staff a very positive endorsement - and without doubt ONLY use THIS hotel whenever in the Silver Springs area.

Room Tip: It was not possible to function with the sliding door open in the room on the side nearest the main...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I was so very pleased to read you comments. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and that the staff accommodated your needs. Thank you as well for the tip on the issue with the sliding glass door. I have passed this on to our Engineering Department for corrective action.

Thanks again for your patronage and we hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you should your travels return you to Silver Spring North.

New Providence, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Recently stayed two nights while attending Family Weekend at U of Maryland. Usually stay at the Hampton Inn in College Park but their rates for this weekend were double what we paid at the Marriott ($93). The suite was large, extremely clean and very quiet. Bathroom was nicely updated and the shower was terrific. Beds were really comfortable -- the most comfortable of many recent hotel stays. And the A/C and refrigerator were quiet! Didn't wake us up by turning on and off all night.

Staff was very helpful and pleasant. Selam checked us in, upgraded our room to a king suite, which was a nice surprise, and suggested many local restaurants for dinner.

Fitness room was small. Tried to use it on two occasions but with two people already using it, we did not want to squeeze in.

The area is surrounded by car dealerships but close by are many chain stores and restaurants. We skipped the lobby breakfast (seemed a little expensive) and went to Friendly's right down the road.

All in all, we're glad we stayed here and drove the few extra miles to the University. It was well worth it to save on the room rate (for this weekend, anyway) and have such a nice room.

Room Tip: Room 358 was very quiet, at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GreenbeltGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I was delighted that we had the opportunity to serve you. It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your room and the upgrade you received at check-in. I appreciate the compliment on our Front Desk Supervisor, Selam. I have passed on your comments and we have recognized her before our entire team.

Danielle Hood

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North? Share your experiences!