“Classic Steakhouse at a VALUE” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Classic Steakhouse at a VALUE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have been to this Ray's several times and it is a classically solid steakhouse. It is also relatively less inexpensive than most. The steak, and other mains comes with some very good sides: mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Ray's also provides complimentary seasoned cashews and rosemary bread. I only eat steak a few times a year but they do it well (although that is rare in my case).

I have paid sixty bucks just for the steak in places such as Denver and Texas that pride themselves on steak. Ray's is almost as good. Almost. We have not ever been disappointed at Ray's and there are plenty of dishes for people who don't want beef. Nancy had a great scallop dish. It is a definite Go.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Had a lovely date night in the grill area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Came in last night for dinner first timer and let me say after reading reviews I wasn't exactly expecting what we got. Within 2 minutes of sitting down in the front area near the bar (which was admittedly empty besides another couple and the bar patrons) we had water fresh warm bread and deliciously spiced cashews. Our waiter came to the table shortly after and was able to speak knowledgably about the local beers on tap to help my date with his selection. We both choose to take advantage of “The Grill Special”. We both started with the crab bisque which was superb! To follow onglet (two good sized pieces per order) that came with two huge dishes of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes both savory and delicious. After our waiter offered us dessert (we were stuffed!) The check was presented with a homemade peanut butter chocolate candy in a small bowl for each of us. All in all it was one of the nicest dining experiences I remember having in a very long time. I will most definitely be back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This will not be a a fair review because we did not get to eat there. Here is what happened:

I have been wanting to try this restaurant. So, our child got me a $100.00 birthday gift card there in April. It had an expiration date of 10/1/13 on it. Unfortunately major back-to-back unwelcome long term illnesses occurred in our family and I became the caretaker. We just haven't been able to get there. So I called today on Oct. 1st and explained the circumstance to one of the owners to see if we could get an extension, or if we could use the gift certificate at 1/2 price. He asked when we could get there, and I said by the end of the week. The answer was absolutely no to the extension and to the 1/2 price idea. This owner told me that he and his co-owner bought this restaurant in July and they have been taking a loss on the gift certificates. I understand business and that they felt they had to draw the line. But I also understand trying to build a business and customer service. I came away very disappointed that this owner didn't understand illnesses. I never expected this answer and lack of compassion. My expectation was that he would have at least said, "I can't honor the full price, but I would like for you to come in, have a great meal and then come back again and bring your family." Hence, disappointed in Ray's and feeling really stupid for having wasted my child's generous gift.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“AVOID - A disgrace to the Ray's franchise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

It's hard to believe this run-down joint shares anything in common with the other Ray's locations. I found the food to be very mediocre and the service was terrible. My steak was way over done and the sides were soggy. While we were there the owner was flipping out about something in the kitchen - reminded me of Fawlty Towers!

On top of this, the wine selection was very overpriced and tasted off. Avoid this location at all costs.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Almost as good as I'd hoped.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I tried this restaurant based on the recommendation of a friend and the many great reviews online. Service was impeccable. Friendly greeter, knowledgeable waiter, great menu and they serve a great cocktail.

But, my burger, ordered medium, was overcooked and dry. Everything else, including the sautéed mushrooms, lightly toasted bun, sprinkling of blue cheese and sweet potato fried, was great. I didn't bother to complain because some other reviewers had mentioned overcooking. So, I assumed the risk! I'd go again but order something else.

• Visited September 2013