“Classy but relaxed” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Takoma Park, Maryland
“Classy but relaxed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Ray's has great food at reasonable prices, offered with a warm welcome. Don't come in your grubbiest jeans, but don't feel embarrassed if you're not dressed up. Vegetarians will have limited options but won't starve. My favorite offering, and one I crave on a regular basis, is the macaroni and cheese side dish. Note: parking is not available immediately next to the restaurant, so be prepared to (a) pay, and (b) walk at least a couple of blocks.

Silver Spring, Maryland
“I can't believe I got kicked out--and I hadn't even eaten!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Having lived in the same neighborhood as Ray's for 6 years, I finally decided to invite two good DC friends out on a Saturday for dinner. I walked in Friday, the night before, to make a reservation. When I asked for a 7pm reservation she said that the only available was 6:15 or 8:30. But, she said, they could squeeze us into the booth at the bistro part, not the main dining room. I was disappointed but thought it might work. In any case, not knowing the mind of my guests, I asked they make the 8:30 reservation anyway. (I thought perhaps we could have a cocktail or two beforehand. I didn't want to loose the possibility of finally getting to eat there if my guests wouldn't mind dining at 8:30. ) What followed was kind of unbelievable. She said she would not allow me to make an 8:30 reservation because "you said you were going to walk in and eat at the Bistro." I couldn't believe what she said--so I repeated it. She confirmed that she was not going to give it to me because they are very busy and that table would just go to waste. I asked the expected logical questions: "How do you know that I am going to walk in?" etc. She explained it to the manager whom she called over. He backed her up. Shocked, I tried, to explain to him how unfair that is. And that I never said I would take her suggestion to walk in. He interrupted my explanation and, with a grim face gruffly stated "thats wrong." After that , he said I could reserve 8:30pm. I said thank you and I let out an under-the-breath and breathy "jeez" with two shakes of my head. As if struck by lightning, he swung around like a military sergeant and told me to get out of the restaurant, that they "don't need winey people like me here." And he began pushing me out. I have never been asked to leave a public establishment. I don't really feel insulted---just sad. I mean, I wish I hadn't shown my frustration--because that's what triggered the manager. I really wanted to eat there---and now I don't know whether to try to "sneak" in with my friends tomorrow night or not. I feel like I made some big public error---but did I really? I am just torn. And, probably will never go back not because I hate restaurant--but I fear the manager may be there and embarrass me.

Visited February 2012
San Diego, California
“Amazing steaks and wonderful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Briefly: they got it right. The steaks were tender and cooked to perfection. The staff was both courteous and professional. They offer both a formal dining room and a bistro (bar area); while the bistro menu is limited in it's print form, they will serve up anything from either side of the house. We choose the bistro side based on the fact that we were dressed in jeans... But truly received high caliber service, regardless. If you are in the Bethesda/Silve Spring area and are hungry for steak, GO TO RAY'S!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, TX
“Really Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stopped in here after reading my trusted fellow travellers' reports. Ate at the bar and had their special - $22.95 for 2 courses. I had the ceasar salad - good if unspectacular, followed by the hangar steak with a port and peppercorn sauce on the side. The barman, who was excellent, suggested it wasn't the most tender steak but was full of flavor, as the menu suggests. They are wrong on one count - it is very tender and bursting with flavor. One of the best steaks I have had! It came with creamed spinach and mashies and fo this quality, you'd pay $50 plus at any of the major chains. A glass of Italian red rounded out a meal under $30. First class all round. Highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The steaks were delicious - and service great. They use to include vegetables with your meal which put them WAY ahead of Ruth's Chris or Morton's - but alas now everything is a la carte. Still Ray's is more reasonably priced then the other 'high-end' steak restaurants and the quality unbeatable. The cashews they serve for snacking are awesome!!

• Visited December 2011