“Great Hotel for the Business Traveller” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Newcastle, Australia
“Great Hotel for the Business Traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel at least 10 times. On every occasion the staff have been friendly, efficient and very helpful. For me the best feature is the room. Each room has excellent facilities for the independent traveller who is on an extended stay and wishes to prepare their own meals. The kitchen is the best I have seen for the price. Full refrigerator, oven, cook top, dish washer, microwave, toaster, electric jug, etc. The bed is comnfortable and the internet service reliable and very adequate. Although not staying, I called in on January 15 for a quick look at the renovations that have just been completed. They have freshened up the foyer and dining room area nicely. I will keep returning to this hotel when I am in the Silver Spring area on business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a very nice Residence Inn with a helpful staff and a generally freindly ambiance. They are in the middle of making some alterations on the dining part of the hotel, which hopefully will be a good addition in the future. At present, the normally good breakfast is not as good as it once was because the staff have to scramble around form the kitchen to a temporary space. There is also no breakfast seating. None of this is a show-stoppeer and the staff are working hard and enthusiastically, but be advised.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the side of the hotel away from the street to the north of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Booked this hotel in advance on the Residence Inn reservations line looking for certain things - connecting rooms for 2 adults, 4 children and a dog. I prepaid to lock in the best rate. When I arrived, I was told no connecting rooms were available; I said that wouldn't do since the children were too young to stay alone and we didn't want to divide up the family. Even though the hotel appeared to be quite empty, it took some time for the clerk to find rooms that might work. At that point, I was told that in addition to the amount I had prepaid, there would be a $125 pet fee - good for the length of the stay. We were only staying one night! That made the cost over $400 for one night. I had to say No thanks. The pet fee might be reasonable if you are staying a while, but this is not a pet friend hotel for a short stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We wanted a room close to DC to visit our son but far enough away from the city to be quieter and more reasonable. The property was well maintained. The rooms looked brand new. The art work on one of the walls was so unique that I am going to try to duplicate it in my home. The furnishings were in top shape as well as everything else in the suite. Everything was about as clean as you can possibly get. The breakfast was good as it always is in Residence Inns but recently I've had a complaint that everything is healthy. There was a good balance here--a doughnut as a treat isn't always a bad thing! The area is good with a shopping center next door if you need it. Also a nice neighborhood to walk. One small complaint--the outdoor pool which is seen from the breakfast area had green water. May have been better if it was covered so as not to have to eat breakfast while looking at this eyesore. Air conditioning is on the louder side but it wasn't needed this weekend in the middle of October. In summary, a wonderful place to stay with everything you want and expect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked this hotel asking for certain things. Upon arriving we found that the people who book the hotel do not always know all the details about the hotel. Finding that this hotel would not fit our needs they worked with us to find us a place closer to D.C. For almost the same price we had to give up a bedroom and bathroom but in the long run it was worth it. The breakfast at the D.C location was much better and we had an inside pool.(something we were told we would have, but did not). The room we stayed in was clean and quiet. There is a lot of shopping across the street so we could get the things we needed for our stay in D.C.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I picked this location because it was more reasonably priced than some of the other area options. I was starting to get a little nervous as the route I drove in wasn't the nicest and I wondered what would actually be near the hotel, as there seemed to be little explaining it on their website. The surrounding area is a housing development and a little shopping center, so it was fine. I am surprised by some of the other reviews that had bad service as I have stayed here two days so far and both days, I was impressed by how nice they were to me. They were very quick to get me an internet cable when one was missing and upon check in, the woman wanted to make sure that I had dinner as it was late. The room had some more modern touches and decor, so that was nice. It was very clean and quiet. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this Residence Inn on September 10-11, when hotel rooms were very tightly booked all over the greater DC area.

(I got a room for $140 a night by naming my own price on Priceline, which I don't consider to be much of a deal, because in the recent past I've gotten rooms for no more than that at four-star hotels located right in the heart of DC, like the Palomar, Dupont Circle, and Fairfax Embassy Row.)

These were the GOOD things about my stay:

When I checked in, I was given a handicapped suite. It actually had TWO bedrooms and TWO bathrooms, in addition to a center living area with a full kitchen. I didn't need all that extra space, in fact I barely set foot in the extra bedroom and bathroom. But if I had been traveling with my family (or an entourage) I might have felt like I'd hit the jackpot.

The suite was nicely furnished, well-lit and clean and it didn't appear to have been heavily used.

The bed was very comfortable.

The free breakfast offered a decent assortment of healthy and not-so-healthy items.

A shopping mall is across the street, with several chain restaurants, a Target, and a Shop-Rite.

The NOT-SO-GOOD things about my stay:

Inadequate sound-proofing. When people were rolling their luggage down the hallway one floor above my room, it sounded like a train was going through the building.

Many handicapped individuals may not find the bathrooms to be all that "accessible"; instead of roll-in showers with fold-down seats they still have the standard tub/shower combo, with additional grab bars.

No wi-fi in the room. I wasn't able to even try the wired internet service because I didn't bring a cable to connect to it. I searched everywhere in the suite but didn't find one. I asked the clerk at the front desk, and she said one would be brought to my room, but it never was. Because I was traveling on business, I found this to be a deal-breaker that nothing else could really make up for.

When I was searching the suite for an internet cable, I noticed that the nightstands were equipped with a copy of the Book of Mormon rather than a Bible. I know that the Marriott family are prominent members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, but I didn't realize that LDS proselytizing had been incorporated into their hotel business. For those who turn to the Old Testament and/or the New Testament for comfort or inspiration while traveling, this too may be a deal-breaker.

ALL IN ALL: If I wanted to visit this area of Silver Spring again, I would most likely book a room at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Silver Spring? Share your experiences!