“The best of the Residence Inns I've stayed in” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Rochester, New York
“The best of the Residence Inns I've stayed in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We wanted a room close to DC to visit our son but far enough away from the city to be quieter and more reasonable. The property was well maintained. The rooms looked brand new. The art work on one of the walls was so unique that I am going to try to duplicate it in my home. The furnishings were in top shape as well as everything else in the suite. Everything was about as clean as you can possibly get. The breakfast was good as it always is in Residence Inns but recently I've had a complaint that everything is healthy. There was a good balance here--a doughnut as a treat isn't always a bad thing! The area is good with a shopping center next door if you need it. Also a nice neighborhood to walk. One small complaint--the outdoor pool which is seen from the breakfast area had green water. May have been better if it was covered so as not to have to eat breakfast while looking at this eyesore. Air conditioning is on the louder side but it wasn't needed this weekend in the middle of October. In summary, a wonderful place to stay with everything you want and expect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked this hotel asking for certain things. Upon arriving we found that the people who book the hotel do not always know all the details about the hotel. Finding that this hotel would not fit our needs they worked with us to find us a place closer to D.C. For almost the same price we had to give up a bedroom and bathroom but in the long run it was worth it. The breakfast at the D.C location was much better and we had an inside pool.(something we were told we would have, but did not). The room we stayed in was clean and quiet. There is a lot of shopping across the street so we could get the things we needed for our stay in D.C.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I picked this location because it was more reasonably priced than some of the other area options. I was starting to get a little nervous as the route I drove in wasn't the nicest and I wondered what would actually be near the hotel, as there seemed to be little explaining it on their website. The surrounding area is a housing development and a little shopping center, so it was fine. I am surprised by some of the other reviews that had bad service as I have stayed here two days so far and both days, I was impressed by how nice they were to me. They were very quick to get me an internet cable when one was missing and upon check in, the woman wanted to make sure that I had dinner as it was late. The room had some more modern touches and decor, so that was nice. It was very clean and quiet. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this Residence Inn on September 10-11, when hotel rooms were very tightly booked all over the greater DC area.

(I got a room for $140 a night by naming my own price on Priceline, which I don't consider to be much of a deal, because in the recent past I've gotten rooms for no more than that at four-star hotels located right in the heart of DC, like the Palomar, Dupont Circle, and Fairfax Embassy Row.)

These were the GOOD things about my stay:

When I checked in, I was given a handicapped suite. It actually had TWO bedrooms and TWO bathrooms, in addition to a center living area with a full kitchen. I didn't need all that extra space, in fact I barely set foot in the extra bedroom and bathroom. But if I had been traveling with my family (or an entourage) I might have felt like I'd hit the jackpot.

The suite was nicely furnished, well-lit and clean and it didn't appear to have been heavily used.

The bed was very comfortable.

The free breakfast offered a decent assortment of healthy and not-so-healthy items.

A shopping mall is across the street, with several chain restaurants, a Target, and a Shop-Rite.

The NOT-SO-GOOD things about my stay:

Inadequate sound-proofing. When people were rolling their luggage down the hallway one floor above my room, it sounded like a train was going through the building.

Many handicapped individuals may not find the bathrooms to be all that "accessible"; instead of roll-in showers with fold-down seats they still have the standard tub/shower combo, with additional grab bars.

No wi-fi in the room. I wasn't able to even try the wired internet service because I didn't bring a cable to connect to it. I searched everywhere in the suite but didn't find one. I asked the clerk at the front desk, and she said one would be brought to my room, but it never was. Because I was traveling on business, I found this to be a deal-breaker that nothing else could really make up for.

When I was searching the suite for an internet cable, I noticed that the nightstands were equipped with a copy of the Book of Mormon rather than a Bible. I know that the Marriott family are prominent members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, but I didn't realize that LDS proselytizing had been incorporated into their hotel business. For those who turn to the Old Testament and/or the New Testament for comfort or inspiration while traveling, this too may be a deal-breaker.

ALL IN ALL: If I wanted to visit this area of Silver Spring again, I would most likely book a room at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
washington, dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times when my family is in town. The staff is always accommodating. The rooms are spacious, and it is always nice to have the kitchen and a roll away bed. Breakfast is always good, and convenient.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
cupertino, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here back in June/July for 4 nights when the storm knocked out our power. We are a family of 4 (2 adults with 2 school age kids), so we chose this hotel because we wanted something spacious and reasonably priced (as some hotels were price gouging during the outage). We we pleasantly surprised that the decor was pretty good and the hotel was clean. We had a 1 bedroom king which included a small kitchen. The front desk staff was nice; however, the lady with the Caribbean accent who handled the food was not very friendly. The breakfast items and dinner items were just okay. The gym had 2 treadmills and an elliptical machine, all included a TV, which was nice. The swimming pool was small, but the kids had a good time. The location is great because it is walking distance to Target, Kohls, Chipotle, Friendly's, McDonalds and a supermarket. Additionally, it is a 4 minute drive to Panera, Chick-fil-A, Ihop and Fridays. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor facing the pool, and it was a bit noisy at times.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. Can't say I was impressed. First, the front desk staff was one of the most unfriendly group I have encountered. They never said hello or good morning. Twice, when I had to go down there, they were talking to a co-worker about personal stuff and completely ignored me until they were done talking. The walls are fairly thin as I could hear a lot from the rooms next to me and above me. The breakfast buffett was pretty good. Across the street is a Friendlys and McDonalds. Otherwise, you have to drive to get to other restaurants, but they are not too far away. Would I stay here again ? Possibly, but only after looking at alternative places to stay first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Silver Spring? Share your experiences!