“A very odd and very mixed bag” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
northern California
“A very odd and very mixed bag”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this Residence Inn on September 10-11, when hotel rooms were very tightly booked all over the greater DC area.

(I got a room for $140 a night by naming my own price on Priceline, which I don't consider to be much of a deal, because in the recent past I've gotten rooms for no more than that at four-star hotels located right in the heart of DC, like the Palomar, Dupont Circle, and Fairfax Embassy Row.)

These were the GOOD things about my stay:

When I checked in, I was given a handicapped suite. It actually had TWO bedrooms and TWO bathrooms, in addition to a center living area with a full kitchen. I didn't need all that extra space, in fact I barely set foot in the extra bedroom and bathroom. But if I had been traveling with my family (or an entourage) I might have felt like I'd hit the jackpot.

The suite was nicely furnished, well-lit and clean and it didn't appear to have been heavily used.

The bed was very comfortable.

The free breakfast offered a decent assortment of healthy and not-so-healthy items.

A shopping mall is across the street, with several chain restaurants, a Target, and a Shop-Rite.

The NOT-SO-GOOD things about my stay:

Inadequate sound-proofing. When people were rolling their luggage down the hallway one floor above my room, it sounded like a train was going through the building.

Many handicapped individuals may not find the bathrooms to be all that "accessible"; instead of roll-in showers with fold-down seats they still have the standard tub/shower combo, with additional grab bars.

No wi-fi in the room. I wasn't able to even try the wired internet service because I didn't bring a cable to connect to it. I searched everywhere in the suite but didn't find one. I asked the clerk at the front desk, and she said one would be brought to my room, but it never was. Because I was traveling on business, I found this to be a deal-breaker that nothing else could really make up for.

When I was searching the suite for an internet cable, I noticed that the nightstands were equipped with a copy of the Book of Mormon rather than a Bible. I know that the Marriott family are prominent members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, but I didn't realize that LDS proselytizing had been incorporated into their hotel business. For those who turn to the Old Testament and/or the New Testament for comfort or inspiration while traveling, this too may be a deal-breaker.

ALL IN ALL: If I wanted to visit this area of Silver Spring again, I would most likely book a room at the nearby Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
washington, dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times when my family is in town. The staff is always accommodating. The rooms are spacious, and it is always nice to have the kitchen and a roll away bed. Breakfast is always good, and convenient.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
cupertino, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here back in June/July for 4 nights when the storm knocked out our power. We are a family of 4 (2 adults with 2 school age kids), so we chose this hotel because we wanted something spacious and reasonably priced (as some hotels were price gouging during the outage). We we pleasantly surprised that the decor was pretty good and the hotel was clean. We had a 1 bedroom king which included a small kitchen. The front desk staff was nice; however, the lady with the Caribbean accent who handled the food was not very friendly. The breakfast items and dinner items were just okay. The gym had 2 treadmills and an elliptical machine, all included a TV, which was nice. The swimming pool was small, but the kids had a good time. The location is great because it is walking distance to Target, Kohls, Chipotle, Friendly's, McDonalds and a supermarket. Additionally, it is a 4 minute drive to Panera, Chick-fil-A, Ihop and Fridays. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor facing the pool, and it was a bit noisy at times.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. Can't say I was impressed. First, the front desk staff was one of the most unfriendly group I have encountered. They never said hello or good morning. Twice, when I had to go down there, they were talking to a co-worker about personal stuff and completely ignored me until they were done talking. The walls are fairly thin as I could hear a lot from the rooms next to me and above me. The breakfast buffett was pretty good. Across the street is a Friendlys and McDonalds. Otherwise, you have to drive to get to other restaurants, but they are not too far away. Would I stay here again ? Possibly, but only after looking at alternative places to stay first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
new jersey, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is of good quality overall for business travelers and has most necessary amenities. Its guest room is also spacious that can fit a family comfortably with a full kitchen and utensils, etc. It also has a decent size LCD TV that can be pivoted for optimal viewing angles. The staff are courteous and helpful, and the interior decor looks fine for a hotel at this level. It also provides a continental breakfast as well. There are a few drawbacks, though. One that sticks out is the lack of wireless wifi within the guest room. The wired connection speed is just ok. The TV does not have digital channels, which negates the purpose of an LCD TV.

All in all, it is a decent hotel and I'll stay in it again for my next biz trip there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Maine, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great place to stay.

The hotel is very nice inside and out. The staff was extremely nice, polite, and helpful (no matter how many questions I asked).

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The room was very clean and comfortable. The only downside was that I got a suite that had a handicap accessible bathroom. The shower was a hand held one and when mounted on the wall was way too low for me. The staff was willing to move me but I had to wait 2 days for someone else to leave.

The 2 bedroom suite did not have separate air conditioning the bedrooms. It was all centrally controlled. So, either one room was cool (which is how I like it), or one was hot. No in between.

The pool was nice. They had a lifeguard on duty at all times. The only downside there was that it closed at 8:00 at night. We tend not to get back until after that and could not swim. The jets on the hot tub weren't working very well but it was warm and a nice place to relax anyway.

They do not have wireless internet in the rooms yet but we were told they are in the process. The only wireless was in the lobby.

The breakfast food was good and normally consisted of toast, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and then 2 other items that changed every day. Otherwise it is very close to a Friendly's, ihop, and other restaurants.

The location was close to the Wheaton subway station -- it was about a 15 minute drive, pretty much straight all the way with only one left turn. Once at the station though, you need to park in the mall parking lot or something. Unless you have a pass already then you can park in the Metro parking lots. We didn't know about that ahead of time and we spent about 20 minutes driving around looking for a place to park. We ended up parking in the JC Penny parking lot for the day. No problems.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Orange, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We got a 2 bed suite for 90 dollars a night because of a wedding group booking which was amazing. When we got to the hotel there was no electricity due to a power outage in the area. There was no back up generator so we had to walk up to the fourth floor with our luggages in order to get into our room. However electricity was restored soon enough which was good. The room was neat and clean, nothing special but then again I don't expect much from residence inn. The beds are really comfortable so no complaints there. Breakfast was ok, again, nothing special. I would definitely be returning there should I need to stop over for a night or two (maybe nothing more). All in all, it was a surprisingly comfortable and enjoyable experience

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Silver Spring? Share your experiences!