“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Palm Harbor, Florida, United States
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I like the Courtyard in Silver Spring due to the proximity to downtown, and the Metro station which is a short distance away. Here in business? Here for vacation? Either way, this hotel is convenient, affordable, and offers great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time for review our hotel. I'm glad that our hotel is convenient for your needs. I hope you will come back and see us again.

Regards,
Cheryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
west palm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I spent the past weekend at this hotel.

What I liked:
-Room rates were competitive and fair
-Rooms were spacious and well appointed
-Free mini fridge in the room was very convenient
-Beds were very comfortable and was able to get excellent sleep as the blinds plus liner were thick enough to block out all the light
-Rooms were quiet as I heard no outside noise...though I was on the 9th floor
-Lots of spots to walk to within 3 minutes ie CVS, Whole Foods, Baja Fresh, Starbucks, Chick Fila, Marshalls
-The metro (subway) is also within walking distance...about 10 minutes or you can take the complimentary shuttle offered by the hotel

What I did not like:
-The prior reviewer said they received complimentary coffee in the lobby at the Bistro Bar. Well I was not able to duplicate such. The front desk informed me that the only free coffee is in the form of the coffee supplied in the room!
-I would have been happier if there was an in room safe for my valuables.
-The towels were a bit on the thin side and could do with replacement.

All in all, would I return?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and will come and see us again. The free coffee program has been removed from our Bistro and we have received mixed reviews. I appreciate your comments and have made changes on the towels that are in our guest rooms. We continually strive to provide the best service and product for our guest and your comments will help us achieve that goal. We look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel is situated in the downtown area of Silver Spring, within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, movies. Even though it is located in a busy area, the room was quiet and the beds very comfortable - as is usual with Marriott properties. What surprised us about this particular Courtyard was that they still served free coffee to guests in the morning. All you have to do is ask for the free brewed coffee at the Bistro Bar. It was also nice that we were upgraded to a very nice suite. Will definitely stay here again. An extra bonus is that parking is free on the weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate your comments and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent four nights at this fantastic hotel!!! We were greeted with smiles as we checked in and each time we had any questions or requests the staff was friendly, accommodating and eager to help. We had a lovely room, which was spacious and spotlessly clean, with a king-size bed and sofa. The quiet room and comfy bed promoted a restful relaxing stay. Since it was a hot week, we particularly enjoyed having an efficient air-conditioner. Our room was cool and comfortable.

The hotel is across from a Whole Foods grocery store and CVS, a huge plus for us after travelling. The mini-fridge and the complimentary coffee/tea were also appreciated. The location is excellent; there are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance from the hotel. One can also get to DC quickly by Metro. The lobby/sitting room area of the hotel, close to their Bistro, has nice comfortable decor and was an excellent place to meet up with others before going out.

We highly recommend this hotel, for its friendly staff, clean rooms and great location. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I'm happy to hear that we met your expectations and you enjoyed your time in Silver Spring. We hope you come and see us again the next time you are in the Silver Spring area.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed Labor Day weekend 2013. I have to say, I had the worst sleep in recent memory due to the extremely loud air conditioner compressor turning on and off all night. The window unit seemed to have a setting for continuous fan, but that did not keep the compressor on as well. On top of that, the bed and pillows were too soft and gave me back pain.

The front desk was nice enough, but a bit awkward. Our evening receptionist gave us the wrong pool times for Labor Day. The morning receptionist gave us the correct times.

Our first room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, but the front desk was efficient in assigning us a new room on the phone , and sending the new key to our room. The second room smelled fine.

Don't forget your keycard, you need it to operate the elevator, and to enter the hotel from the parking garage after hours.

There is no fan in the bathroom, so the mirrors fog up very badly after showers.

I did appreciate the pool access, (especially after the restless night and to help my back pain). However, the front desk did not mention it was a 2 lane lap pool in the WSC sports club downstairs. It was fine for us, but might not be good for young kids. Also, I wished I had a padlock for the locker room.

The location and general accommodations were pretty good, but the bad night's sleep was so bad, I cannot give this place a high rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and will certainly look into the issues you've mentioned. We strive to provide excellent service to all of our guests an I'm very disappointed that we did not fulfill your expectations. Again, I appreciate your comments and will work toward making changes where necessary. We would love it if you would give us another opportunity to serve you.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed for business overnight. Whole foods is next door for quick dinner and snacks. Quiet and comfortable. Lobby is connected directly to the parking garage so check in is a breeze. One of the better experiences with Mariott chain. Would recommend to others and come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Overall, my stay was very good. I arrived on a Friday evening for a one-night stay and the attached high-rise public parking garage was almost completely full. Fortunately, someone pulled out of a spot near the connecting ramp to the hotel as I (along with dozens of other drivers) was cruising for a spot. Check-in was flawless, and the front-desk staff were very helpful in answering my questions about the area. [I also learned that parking all weekend in the public garage is free after 8pm Friday evening, so I was able to ignore the significant posted parking fees!]

My room was well-appointed, clean, and quiet. I was even impressed by the clock radio, which worked better than any other I have used in a hotel. It had good sound quality, pulled in a variety of stations, and the radio alarm actually worked!

My only complaint was with breakfast. I'm not sure whether the bistro was short-staffed or whether the staff was unprepared for the number of people ordering breakfast. In any case, the breakfast sandwich I ordered took about 25 minutes to arrive, and others who arrived at about the same time were also waiting accordingly for their orders. The server did apologize for the delay, The wait would have been less unpleasant If the hotel provided a complimentary newspaper on the weekend as a distraction (US Today is available during the week). [Perhaps extra copies of the Friday paper could be made available in the lobby over the weekend.]

Unless other reviewers report a pattern of delays with meals, I believe the Courtyard is an excellent value for the price and location.

Room Tip: My room faced away from the main streets and there was absolutely no noise from outside.