“Nice hotel, good location for highway access, and ok food” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Dundalk
“Nice hotel, good location for highway access, and ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I spent 3 nights here, it was my second visit as I was here a few years back. The place has been done up and was still getting some work done when I was there. Its not modernism throughout but it has alot fresher feel then it did before. There is a small gym and a bar that servers some average bar food. Breakfast is the usual coffee shop fare. Location is not bad and a trip into the center of Washington in the evening took about 30-40 minutes.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are better for a view of sorts. Plan to get breakfast somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I appreciate your comments because it always give me a fresh look at what is working and what is not. I am confused about your comment regarding our gym. Our hotel does not have a gym in the hotel but we are adjacent to the Washington Sports Club which has a large fitness area as well as classes that our guests can join in on. If your just using the fitness center it's free to all of our guests. It's important to know if we are telling our guests the right information. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you come into the Silver Spring area.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
DFW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here on a recent trip to Washington DC for a conference that was near capitol hill. This hotel is only a few blocks from the Silver Spring red line metro station, and they have a van that will take you and pick you up from there. It's actually a nice walk if you don't have luggage. It is located in the heart of Silver Spring so there are plenty of food and shopping options nearby. I was especially happy to find a Whole Foods right across the street!

Staff were friendly, the room was nice and the bed was comfy. If you're visiting DC and don't mind taking the metro each morning, I highly recommend staying here for affordability.

Room Tip: Staff asked if I minded if they gave me the handicapped room. If they ask you, just say "no.&q...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank for taking the time to write a review about our staff and hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of the proximity to DC. Your comments are much appreciated and I will pass them on to our team. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in the Silver Spring area.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were very pleased with the hotel's proximity to everything Silver Spring has to offer. The hotel itself is nice, clean, friendly, and the rooms are pleasant. We used GPS to find the hotel entrance, but if you are driving, you need to go around the side of the block and self park in the garage. Go up to the 5th floor of the garage and the hotel entrance is right there. It is a short walk to the Silver Spring Metro stop and you can take this train down to DC very easily. Restaurants are everywhere within a few steps from the hotel, as well as shops, cafes, and movie theatres. We had an outdoor dinner, then walked down the block to listen to a free outdoor concert before crossing the street to get back to our hotel. The food in the hotel Bistro is quick, delicious, and very reasonable, especially for a city. Make sure to inquire about the parking when you are at the hotel. The hotel had a $10/day special card but if you forget this and pay just by yourself it is a dollar an hour.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you are taking advantage of our proximity to DC and all that the surrounding area has to offer. The parking and entrance to the hotel are a bit confusing on your first visit and we try to give good directions when people call ahead of time. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last week I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Silver Spring MD and was having breakfast in the hotel. While I was eating several other employees from our company came down to breakfast so we moved tables. I left my iPad on the table under the USA Today and didn't think about it until we were finished with breakfast 30 minutes later. I started to panic and the person working the front desk saw me. She had picked up the iPad and kept it safe for me. That let me know I will always stay at this hotel when I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your comments about our associates. They will certainly appreciate that what they do every day does not go unnoticed. We work very hard to ensure that all of our guests enjoy their stay and feel that they are in a safe and secure environment. We look forward to your return visit when in the Silver Spring area.
Starbuck, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Wonderful property. The staff were very accommodating & friendly. More than willing to help you out. The lobby & room were clean & well appointed. I thought the mattress was really comfortable. Mattresses sometimes give us problems because we have Sleep Number beds, but I liked this one. It's everything I expect in a Marriott property.

The location is really something that made this a great stay for us. Our 7 day metro card only allowed for $3.50 per trip. So our trips into the mall during peak hours cost us $0.05. Most of the time it didn't cost us anything because we didn't travel during peak. The metro location was a walk but not too far. It's a quick trip into DC from Silver Spring & since it's far enough out, you can almost always get a seat.

There is lots of dining & entertainment in the area. There is a Whole Foods Market right across the street that was excellent. We had salad bar & buffet from there and really enjoyed the food & the small hit to the wallet!

I would absolutely stay again & recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you are taking advantage of our proximity to DC and all that the surrounding area has to offer. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.
York, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at this location prior to a concert in the area. Our room was much nicer than expected with new decor. It was pretty big and very clean. Paul Mitchell shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion was provided. Parking in the attached lot was free on the weekend. A short walk to the downtown area, and a 10 minute walk to the metro station (and therefore an easy way to get to D.C.). The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast at the bistro was not too terribly priced. Will definitely return next time we are in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. We appreciate all of your comments and look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one of the newer designed Courtyard hotels, which I prefer. No frills to speak about, but the room is plenty large enough and the lobby is good. Right around the corner is a "downtown area" with lots of dining and shopping choices. The exercise facility is good. A few blocks to the metro for access to DC.I'll stay there again when I'm in the area. The only negative....a really noisy HVAC unit in the room. I had to turn it off at night...rattled like crazy.

Room Tip: Great Korean place around the corner in the downtown area. I forget the name, but it's upstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your comments. I'm sorry that you experienced an issue with our HVAC unit in the guest room. I have made our Maintenance Manager aware of this so we can repair that right away. I think the restaurant you are referring to is the Pho Hiep Hoa on Ellsworth Ave. Your right, they do have great food. Again, we appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to your next trip to Silver Spring.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!