“Great location, Safe, Comfortable, Lapses in Guest Services” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Lexington, North Carolina
“Great location, Safe, Comfortable, Lapses in Guest Services”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

First, the positives: This is a great location if you want to visit the DC area. Loved the free parking on the adjoining deck over the weekend! It felt very safe for walking to and from the nearby pedestrian mall--no need to move the car all weekend. The rooms (we had two) were clean and comfortable. My ratings of the sleep quality reflect issues with noise, not the beds or the bedding.

On the less positive side, there was inadequate response to our calls to the night staff regarding drunken partiers returning to the hotel. Loud talking, drunken laughter, and rap music intermittently awakened us several times between 12 and 3:30 am. Offering to move us in the middle of the night was not an acceptable answer to the issue. Reporting the issue to the staff in the morning resulted in apologies and the “comping” of our breakfast bill but really did not take away the irritation and loss of sleep.

And speaking of breakfast, mine had to be the very worst in memory! Eggs so dry it was hard to pick them up on a fork, micro-waved bacon and dry toast. I really think the whole thing was pre-prepared and re-microwaved. It was delivered to my room in a box by a very nice man who appeared to be the sole person working in the "cafe" Sunday morning. I think the trick here might be to ask for something NOT on the limited menu—I notice that another reviewer had success doing that. And speaking of the menu—what’s with the fact no prices are listed for the items on the menus placed at bedside?

The hotel staff was kind enough to give us a one-hour extension until 1 pm for check-out on Sunday morning however they cancelled our electronic room keys about 10 am while we were still in the hotel resulting in some of us being locked out of our rooms. After being re-admitted once, the keys did not work again so we were advised to prop our doors open to prevent being locked out again. Really?

Maybe weekends are just a down time for this hotel but I expected better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that your room accommodations met with your satisfaction and I do apologize that you were disturbed throughout the evening and that we did not take care of that situation to your satisfaction. I will definitely pass on your comments regarding our Bistro to ensure that corrective action is taken so that we can provide a better experience the next time you return to our hotel. We strive to provide the very best in service and product and sometimes fall short of that expectation. It is our hope that when your travels bring you back to the Silver Spring area you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great location, very comfortable accommodations, extremely helpful & friendly staff & a nice cafe for a small bite. Convenient location, only 10 minutes walking from the metro, across the street from Whole Foods & in an eclectic & delicious restaurant hub. I've stayed here for business on several occasions and will return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to your next trip to Silver Spring.
San Fernando, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in the Downtown Silver Spring Mall, thus it was easy for me to shop, dine, and return to my room safely. The lobby was not in the usual ground floor location,but rather on the first floor. The staff did their duty to the letter, the hospitality wasn't warm. Probably because it was the winter season. Snacks were available in the vending machines, ideal for in-between meal snacks, and meals were served in the restaurant.

I particularly like the over-sized hotel windows, which was great for looking out.

No airport shuttle was available, but one can get a reliable super yellow shuttle.
In general the hotel lived up to the hotel chain standards

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is located a 10-minute walk from the Metro Station - Silver Spring / Red Line. The hotel kindly operates a quick shuttle to and from the metro. Many restaurants are located nearby. The Veteran's Convention Center is two blocks away. Excellent location.

Evening service at the lobby "cafe" wasn't the friendliest. However the rest of the staff was professional and courteous. If you get breakfast included in your rate, as with Gov't rate, the details are a bit strange. Order ONE meal selection from the menu at a counter. Don't ask for an extra banana or apple cause it's not included if you order eggs and sausage. The process is definitely weird. Staff should be given more flexibility OR a simple breakfast buffet would seem more accomodating. I really wanted a banana with my breakfast order but had to buy it across the street at Whole Foods Market. Odd...

Room Tip: Lobby is on 3rd floor. Rooms on this level have loud street noise. Building construction is underw...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. I do apologize about the noise level, unfortunately due to our location on Fenton St. it is situated on a main thoroughfare in the city. The next time, we would be happy to accomodate you in a room higher up or facing away from the main street which will minimize the noise. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.
CH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I spent here 3 nights for business, and I have to say it was a very comfortable experience. Recently renovated, looks good and it offers complimentary wireless everywhere. It also has a bistro which serves breakfast and simple dinners, which is quite convenient. It is also located very close to downtown, walking distance from restaurants and shops.
Personnel overall nice and competent.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I'm glad you found our staff to be attentive and that the hotel amenities and great location added to you stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our area.
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for several nights at the Courtyard for a wedding. The staff was nice and my room seemed clean. The free wifi is great. The location is wonderful--you can walk to anything in the downtown Silver Spring area and the metro is walkable as well. I also found it easy to find even though I'm not familiar with the area. We had breakfast at the Bistro which was very good, but at prices you might expect in a hotel restaurant. The lobby/bistro area was actually pretty inviting as a place to hang out. I also appreciated the kisok with a printer so you can print your boarding passes if you're flying out.
The beds were very soft, so perhaps ask ahead for a firm bed if that is important to you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate your taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and are so pleased that yu enjoyed the hotel, location and the staff service while you were our guest. We hope to have you back the next time your travel brings you to the Silver Spring area.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stay at this hotel 3- 6 times a year for a week at a time. I have been coming here since it opened due to its location near where I have to be when my work brings me to Maryland. The staff is usually very helpful, particularly Abbe who I have seen there for years now. She is always friendly and helpful and greets me with a great, warm smile. She also remembers me and makes me feel welcome there. As a very shy person this is not an easy task! I am not a fan of the Bistro and wish they still had the restaurant and the great guy who used to make omelettes for me. However, it is good to see they do promote staff as Abbe started in the restaurant and is now at the front desk. The rooms are very comfortable and service is good when I ask for it - not so good when I don't but that's my fault not theirs. The local area has lots of choices for things to do and places to eat, which is a big plus for me. All in all it a very good place to stay and a good example of a Marriott property.

Room Tip: I always get the King room on a higher floor (5 or above)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff to be attentive and that the hotel amenities added to your stay. I will definitely pass on your comments regarding Abby. She will be encouraged and please that you mentioned her. I do apologize that you are not happy with our Bistro concept. Upon your next visit please don't hesitate to place a special request for an omlet. We would be happy to provide that for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard by Marriott and the Silver Spring area.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!