“Oversized windows” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Oversized windows”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in the Downtown Silver Spring Mall, thus it was easy for me to shop, dine, and return to my room safely. The lobby was not in the usual ground floor location,but rather on the first floor. The staff did their duty to the letter, the hospitality wasn't warm. Probably because it was the winter season. Snacks were available in the vending machines, ideal for in-between meal snacks, and meals were served in the restaurant.

I particularly like the over-sized hotel windows, which was great for looking out.

No airport shuttle was available, but one can get a reliable super yellow shuttle.
In general the hotel lived up to the hotel chain standards

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is located a 10-minute walk from the Metro Station - Silver Spring / Red Line. The hotel kindly operates a quick shuttle to and from the metro. Many restaurants are located nearby. The Veteran's Convention Center is two blocks away. Excellent location.

Evening service at the lobby "cafe" wasn't the friendliest. However the rest of the staff was professional and courteous. If you get breakfast included in your rate, as with Gov't rate, the details are a bit strange. Order ONE meal selection from the menu at a counter. Don't ask for an extra banana or apple cause it's not included if you order eggs and sausage. The process is definitely weird. Staff should be given more flexibility OR a simple breakfast buffet would seem more accomodating. I really wanted a banana with my breakfast order but had to buy it across the street at Whole Foods Market. Odd...

Room Tip: Lobby is on 3rd floor. Rooms on this level have loud street noise. Building construction is underw...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff and accommodations to your liking. I do apologize about the noise level, unfortunately due to our location on Fenton St. it is situated on a main thoroughfare in the city. The next time, we would be happy to accomodate you in a room higher up or facing away from the main street which will minimize the noise. We appreciate all of your comments and continue to strive to provide the very best experience to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Silver Spring.
CH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I spent here 3 nights for business, and I have to say it was a very comfortable experience. Recently renovated, looks good and it offers complimentary wireless everywhere. It also has a bistro which serves breakfast and simple dinners, which is quite convenient. It is also located very close to downtown, walking distance from restaurants and shops.
Personnel overall nice and competent.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I'm glad you found our staff to be attentive and that the hotel amenities and great location added to you stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our area.
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for several nights at the Courtyard for a wedding. The staff was nice and my room seemed clean. The free wifi is great. The location is wonderful--you can walk to anything in the downtown Silver Spring area and the metro is walkable as well. I also found it easy to find even though I'm not familiar with the area. We had breakfast at the Bistro which was very good, but at prices you might expect in a hotel restaurant. The lobby/bistro area was actually pretty inviting as a place to hang out. I also appreciated the kisok with a printer so you can print your boarding passes if you're flying out.
The beds were very soft, so perhaps ask ahead for a firm bed if that is important to you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate your taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and are so pleased that yu enjoyed the hotel, location and the staff service while you were our guest. We hope to have you back the next time your travel brings you to the Silver Spring area.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stay at this hotel 3- 6 times a year for a week at a time. I have been coming here since it opened due to its location near where I have to be when my work brings me to Maryland. The staff is usually very helpful, particularly Abbe who I have seen there for years now. She is always friendly and helpful and greets me with a great, warm smile. She also remembers me and makes me feel welcome there. As a very shy person this is not an easy task! I am not a fan of the Bistro and wish they still had the restaurant and the great guy who used to make omelettes for me. However, it is good to see they do promote staff as Abbe started in the restaurant and is now at the front desk. The rooms are very comfortable and service is good when I ask for it - not so good when I don't but that's my fault not theirs. The local area has lots of choices for things to do and places to eat, which is a big plus for me. All in all it a very good place to stay and a good example of a Marriott property.

Room Tip: I always get the King room on a higher floor (5 or above)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff to be attentive and that the hotel amenities added to your stay. I will definitely pass on your comments regarding Abby. She will be encouraged and please that you mentioned her. I do apologize that you are not happy with our Bistro concept. Upon your next visit please don't hesitate to place a special request for an omlet. We would be happy to provide that for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard by Marriott and the Silver Spring area.
Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The photos of the hotel on their website do not to do the hotel justice. The hotel is beautiful. I loved the colors and the brightness of the lobby. The room was gorgeous and I loved the jacuzzi tub. The only complaint that I had was that the tub was not clean. I really enjoyed my stay. I liked how you had to have a room key to be able to access the floors. I felt very secure.

The customer service from the front desk agents was outstanding....top notch. One of the agents stood out and that was Ashley. She went above and beyond to make sure that my special weekend was perfect. I did not have champagne flutes for my special weekend, so Ashley personally brought some up to my room with a cloth to place them on. That was fantastic. I have stayed at all different levels of hotels and resorts and I have never had customer service that was that superb.

Downtown Silver Spring was wonderful. There were plenty of places to shop, eat and have fun. If you are looking for a weekend getaway, Downtown Silver Spring and The Courtyard are the places to be. I will definitely return back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our team - they really do go above and beyond to make our guests' experiences memorable. I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful city and of course the Courtyard Hotel. Thanks again!
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip. If you need to be in downtown Silver Spring this hotel offers a convenient location-- within walking distance to many of the attractions and the metro station.

The entrance to the hotel is slightly awkward. You enter the building through a glass door on the ground floor and then you take a very slow-moving elevator up to the lobby level. I stayed in a King room which was furnished with standard Courtyard decor and offered the customary complimentary WiFi. Two highlights of the room were the intense water pressure in the shower and the plethora of channels on the television.

I was, however, disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. On my first night at the hotel, as I went to get into the bed, I noticed a huge stain on the sheet toward the foot of the bed. I called the front desk, and, to his credit, the front desk clerk (who was new) brought up a new set of sheets and we stripped off the stained sheet and made the bed up again. While his assistance was helpful, remaking a bed was the last thing I wanted to do at midnight after a 5 hour flight. Additionally, the carpet in the entryway of the room had several stains that added to the feeling of uncleanliness.

The reception and attitudes of the staff ranged from tepid and uninformed to welcoming and knowledgeable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding your most recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for a less than perfect room experience and the condition of the bed upon your arrival. I will follow up with the appropriate department head for remediation. We truly strive to provide the very best possible experience for our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back when your travels bring you to the Silver Spring area. Please contact me upon making your next reservation so we can ensure you are provided with upgraded accommodations. Thank you so much for staying with us.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!