“Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Albany, NY
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for several nights at the Courtyard for a wedding. The staff was nice and my room seemed clean. The free wifi is great. The location is wonderful--you can walk to anything in the downtown Silver Spring area and the metro is walkable as well. I also found it easy to find even though I'm not familiar with the area. We had breakfast at the Bistro which was very good, but at prices you might expect in a hotel restaurant. The lobby/bistro area was actually pretty inviting as a place to hang out. I also appreciated the kisok with a printer so you can print your boarding passes if you're flying out.
The beds were very soft, so perhaps ask ahead for a firm bed if that is important to you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We truly appreciate your taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and are so pleased that yu enjoyed the hotel, location and the staff service while you were our guest. We hope to have you back the next time your travel brings you to the Silver Spring area.

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stay at this hotel 3- 6 times a year for a week at a time. I have been coming here since it opened due to its location near where I have to be when my work brings me to Maryland. The staff is usually very helpful, particularly Abbe who I have seen there for years now. She is always friendly and helpful and greets me with a great, warm smile. She also remembers me and makes me feel welcome there. As a very shy person this is not an easy task! I am not a fan of the Bistro and wish they still had the restaurant and the great guy who used to make omelettes for me. However, it is good to see they do promote staff as Abbe started in the restaurant and is now at the front desk. The rooms are very comfortable and service is good when I ask for it - not so good when I don't but that's my fault not theirs. The local area has lots of choices for things to do and places to eat, which is a big plus for me. All in all it a very good place to stay and a good example of a Marriott property.

Room Tip: I always get the King room on a higher floor (5 or above)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so glad you found our staff to be attentive and that the hotel amenities added to your stay. I will definitely pass on your comments regarding Abby. She will be encouraged and please that you mentioned her. I do apologize that you are not happy with our Bistro concept. Upon your next visit please don't hesitate to place a special request for an omlet. We would be happy to provide that for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard by Marriott and the Silver Spring area.
Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The photos of the hotel on their website do not to do the hotel justice. The hotel is beautiful. I loved the colors and the brightness of the lobby. The room was gorgeous and I loved the jacuzzi tub. The only complaint that I had was that the tub was not clean. I really enjoyed my stay. I liked how you had to have a room key to be able to access the floors. I felt very secure.

The customer service from the front desk agents was outstanding....top notch. One of the agents stood out and that was Ashley. She went above and beyond to make sure that my special weekend was perfect. I did not have champagne flutes for my special weekend, so Ashley personally brought some up to my room with a cloth to place them on. That was fantastic. I have stayed at all different levels of hotels and resorts and I have never had customer service that was that superb.

Downtown Silver Spring was wonderful. There were plenty of places to shop, eat and have fun. If you are looking for a weekend getaway, Downtown Silver Spring and The Courtyard are the places to be. I will definitely return back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our team - they really do go above and beyond to make our guests' experiences memorable. I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful city and of course the Courtyard Hotel. Thanks again!
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip. If you need to be in downtown Silver Spring this hotel offers a convenient location-- within walking distance to many of the attractions and the metro station.

The entrance to the hotel is slightly awkward. You enter the building through a glass door on the ground floor and then you take a very slow-moving elevator up to the lobby level. I stayed in a King room which was furnished with standard Courtyard decor and offered the customary complimentary WiFi. Two highlights of the room were the intense water pressure in the shower and the plethora of channels on the television.

I was, however, disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. On my first night at the hotel, as I went to get into the bed, I noticed a huge stain on the sheet toward the foot of the bed. I called the front desk, and, to his credit, the front desk clerk (who was new) brought up a new set of sheets and we stripped off the stained sheet and made the bed up again. While his assistance was helpful, remaking a bed was the last thing I wanted to do at midnight after a 5 hour flight. Additionally, the carpet in the entryway of the room had several stains that added to the feeling of uncleanliness.

The reception and attitudes of the staff ranged from tepid and uninformed to welcoming and knowledgeable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding your most recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for a less than perfect room experience and the condition of the bed upon your arrival. I will follow up with the appropriate department head for remediation. We truly strive to provide the very best possible experience for our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back when your travels bring you to the Silver Spring area. Please contact me upon making your next reservation so we can ensure you are provided with upgraded accommodations. Thank you so much for staying with us.
Southern Pines, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times. I love this place. The rooms are comfy, clean, and up to date. So many amenities, dining, movies, shopping, outdoor ice skating. The staff is pleasant and helpful, and a great full service gym on site. Everything is at your fingertips.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I truly appreciate the great comments about our hotel, it's amenities and our team of associates. I am really pleased you were able t take advantage of our great location. I will pass along your thoughtful comments to our team, who will be encouraged by your remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to the Silver Spring area.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just stayed here for four days for a family wedding. The employees and front desk people could not have been nicer and more accommodating. This hotel is conveniently located and close to everything - a CVS, Whole Foods Market, the Metro, and many shops and restaurants. The local fitness club, which you could get to by taking the elevator to the 2nd floor, was excellent! It was very large and had all the same quality equipment as my fitness club at home. I would - and plan to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We truly appreciate your taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and are so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, location and staff service while you were our guest. We hope to have you back the next time your visit brings you to the Silver Spring area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriots. This is by far my worst experience ever. The staff was rude, disorganized, and had horribly hygiene. The manager and the assistant manager are probably the worst management team I have ever seen. When I arrived the room was not ready, and I had to request towels because the bathroom had absoutley nothing in it, and it was a hassle just to do that. It was also dirty and the sheets looked like they had food or something on them.
I would not stay at this hotel again for free.
If you are coming to the Silver Spring area stay anywhere but here. Beware.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I'm sorry that you had such a horrible stay with us and would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. I am unaware of the details of your stay and it is very important to us that our guests are satisfied with their experience. Please feel free to call me at your convenience.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!