“Standard Courtyard-- Substandard Cleaning” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Silver Spring
Chandler, Arizona
“Standard Courtyard-- Substandard Cleaning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip. If you need to be in downtown Silver Spring this hotel offers a convenient location-- within walking distance to many of the attractions and the metro station.

The entrance to the hotel is slightly awkward. You enter the building through a glass door on the ground floor and then you take a very slow-moving elevator up to the lobby level. I stayed in a King room which was furnished with standard Courtyard decor and offered the customary complimentary WiFi. Two highlights of the room were the intense water pressure in the shower and the plethora of channels on the television.

I was, however, disappointed with the cleanliness of the room. On my first night at the hotel, as I went to get into the bed, I noticed a huge stain on the sheet toward the foot of the bed. I called the front desk, and, to his credit, the front desk clerk (who was new) brought up a new set of sheets and we stripped off the stained sheet and made the bed up again. While his assistance was helpful, remaking a bed was the last thing I wanted to do at midnight after a 5 hour flight. Additionally, the carpet in the entryway of the room had several stains that added to the feeling of uncleanliness.

The reception and attitudes of the staff ranged from tepid and uninformed to welcoming and knowledgeable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding your most recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for a less than perfect room experience and the condition of the bed upon your arrival. I will follow up with the appropriate department head for remediation. We truly strive to provide the very best possible experience for our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back when your travels bring you to the Silver Spring area. Please contact me upon making your next reservation so we can ensure you are provided with upgraded accommodations. Thank you so much for staying with us.

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Southern Pines, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times. I love this place. The rooms are comfy, clean, and up to date. So many amenities, dining, movies, shopping, outdoor ice skating. The staff is pleasant and helpful, and a great full service gym on site. Everything is at your fingertips.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I truly appreciate the great comments about our hotel, it's amenities and our team of associates. I am really pleased you were able t take advantage of our great location. I will pass along your thoughtful comments to our team, who will be encouraged by your remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to the Silver Spring area.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just stayed here for four days for a family wedding. The employees and front desk people could not have been nicer and more accommodating. This hotel is conveniently located and close to everything - a CVS, Whole Foods Market, the Metro, and many shops and restaurants. The local fitness club, which you could get to by taking the elevator to the 2nd floor, was excellent! It was very large and had all the same quality equipment as my fitness club at home. I would - and plan to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We truly appreciate your taking time to post your comments on Trip Advisor and are so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, location and staff service while you were our guest. We hope to have you back the next time your visit brings you to the Silver Spring area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriots. This is by far my worst experience ever. The staff was rude, disorganized, and had horribly hygiene. The manager and the assistant manager are probably the worst management team I have ever seen. When I arrived the room was not ready, and I had to request towels because the bathroom had absoutley nothing in it, and it was a hassle just to do that. It was also dirty and the sheets looked like they had food or something on them.
I would not stay at this hotel again for free.
If you are coming to the Silver Spring area stay anywhere but here. Beware.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I'm sorry that you had such a horrible stay with us and would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. I am unaware of the details of your stay and it is very important to us that our guests are satisfied with their experience. Please feel free to call me at your convenience.
Holland, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent on night at the Courtyard in Silver Spring and were generally impressed. The hotel is located above the Washington Sports Club. Parking is a breeze. Just go to the 5th level of the adjoining parking deck and walk over an access bridge right to the reception area. (On weekends parking is FREE.)We got through reception smoothly and all our special requests were met.
The room was spacious with lots of counter space in the bathroom. Everything was clean and well maintained. We only had a couple of complaints. First, there was work being done on the parking deck that lasted until midnight. This was not the hotel's fault, but you may want to ask for a room facing the street. Second, the fitted sheets on both beds in the room refused to stay on the mattress. Either they were the wrong size or the beds were not made properly. We had to pull them back down a few times before they stayed in place and even then they came loose later in the night. Otherwise, we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for the nice review about our hotel. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our property and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the area. I appreciate you letting me know about the situation with the sheets. I'll get with our Executive Housekeeper and see if we can get that straightened out. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.
Monongahela, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We travel ALOT and always use Marriot( Sprinhill suites most often) adn decided to go to Silver Spring to visit family and also to go see DC. We arrived adn were treated pretty awful from the start. The manager is very cocky and arrogant and does not want to address anyones question or concerns. The hotel itself was ok ( small rooms, no restaraunt, but a snack bar type area they call "the bistro"...nice outside area with a fire pit) the location was wonderful...but the staff is very miserable, unhelpful adn I will NOT be returning to this hotel ever, I suggest you look elsewhere because to me cusmer service is VERY important.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I want to thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I apologize for the lack of service you received while a guest with us and would love the opportunity to speak with you directly about your stay. We strive to provide the very best service and accommodations in Silver Spring and we let you down and for that I am sorry. It is my hope that you when your travels bring you back to Silver Spring you will again give us an opportunity to provide you with a new first impression.
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nicely renovated rooms, comfortable mattress and very friendly staff. Check in was easy, parked in the adjacent garage and walked right in. Only stayed one night, got in late and left early the next morning.

AM cafe staff was very friendly and helpful. I really appreciated their warmness after a long day of travel. Actually, everyone I encountered at the hotel was thoughtful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the nicecomments about our hotel. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our property and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the area. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!