“Nice hotel, disappointing staff knowledge” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Nice hotel, disappointing staff knowledge”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is a pretty nice hotel. It's very odd that you have to ride one elevator to get from the street to the lobby and then a completely separate elevator every time you want to get to your room, but it's OK. The TV's in our room couldn't get local channels which was very frustrating for my husband because he wanted to watch football, but couldn't access the correct channel (very frustrating since he was sick and couldn't leave the room - see below).

However, the really disappointing part was when my husband got food poisoning. After spending several hours in urgent care, we came back to the hotel to find that the pharmacy across the street was closed. I asked at the front desk for the nearest 24-hour pharmacy and was told the best that they could do was send my husband to the ER, even though we had just spend hours at Urgent Care and just needed to fill the prescription. We were told that Maryland didn't have any 24-hour pharmacies and that we were just out of luck. Of course, in the morning when I made it to the pharmacy, the pharmacist stated that there were quite a few 24-hour pharmacies within close proximity.

I don't think it's too much to ask that the front desk staff know about nearby medical options. No one wants to deal with this sort of thing while traveling, but it would make things a lot easier if you could get help from the people who know the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the downtown Silver Spring Courtyard. I want to apologize for any inconvenience caused due to our lack of information provided by our staff. I can understand the importance of the information requested and I assure you that we will share your experience with the team and use this as a training tool so that it won't happen again in the future. It is always out intent to provide the very best service and experiences for our guests. I'm glad you liked the hotel and it is my hope that when travelling in the Silver Spring area you will again give us the opportunity to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Simsbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband & I needed to arive at church for an early service, so we decide to give this hotel a try. Tiya welcomed us and got us right up to our room. We stayed in a whirlpool room & it was very clean. On the weekends the parking is free and in a covered garage. It was nice having restaurants right outside your door. Enjoyed wacthing the ice skating.Very close to the highway. We got a restful night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments regarding the Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience the excitement surrounding the downtown Silver Spring area. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area you will again give us the opportunity to service you.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in downtown Silver Spring, MD over the Xmas holiday weekend. We often find ourselves traveling over Xmas and staying at hotels. It can be hit or miss because of short staffing and most businesses are closed, but not at this Marriott. The front desk attendants were cheerful and helpful. The location provided plenty of local restaurants, movies and activities as well as free weekend parking in a covered, secure garage. The bistro in the main lobby served a full breakfast and had plenty of healthy choices. If you're traveling over a weekend and need a place near DC, but with convenient access to the hwy and the metro - this is the place to stay

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have stayed at the Downtown Silver Spring Courtyard numerous times since it opened. The hotel is in the central Silver Spring shopping, dining and recreational complex. It is just a few blocks from the Metro, across the street from Whole Foods Market and steps away from a variety of eateries. It is also just a short distance from my relative's home. This Courtyard is ideal for my purposes. On various stays I have used the hotel van for transportation to the Metro and a ride over to my brothers. The van is available on a "first come, first serve" basis in a certain radius of the hotel.
The lobby and rooms were refurbished since my last visit in Dec of 2010. The color scheme changed from blue to red. The lobby is more contemporary and the room decor is very stylish. Even the bathroom looks spruced up and they might have even re-tiled the tub/shower. I had a room with 2 queen beds, it was spacious and comfortable. Plenty of towels, coffee maker and nice big flat screen TV. Unlike another reviewer that stayed over the Christmas Holiday I have no complaints with the housekeeeping service. My room was made up and I had plenty of clean towels and a fresh set of bathroom amenities.
My only disappointment was the change to the dining format. Previously, they had a breakfast room and nice buffet. I really liked the available choices; fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereals, various breads, muffins and bagels, scrambled eggs and home fries. I believe they had dinner options too, but I never experienced any meal other than breakfast. I booked a Stay for Breakfast based on my previous visits. The renovations changed the food service to a bistro format. I looked at the posted menu and it did not appeal to me so I ended up changing my rate to room only. The new format looks like a Starbucks and I decided to grab something over at a Panera nearby instead of at their Bistro.
If you don't want to be bothered with a car and need a central location near the Metro the Silver Spring Courtyard Downtown is a good choice for visiting Silver Spring and beyond.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms with 2 beds.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
105countries,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel! I am sorry that you do not like the new food and beverage format that we are offering at the hotel. The idea with the Bistro was to make a quicker; more affordable dining option for our guests. We are truly appreciative of your business and look forward to seeing you in the future. Happy New Year.....

Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed here between the 26th and 29th of December 2011. While the location is superb and many aspects of the hotel were adequate, our entire experience was soured by poor or non-existent housekeeping. Upon checking in we found a missed dirty towel in the bedroom-really not a big deal. The following day we returned to our room at 3:30 and the housekeeping staff had just collected the dirty towels and put the garbage cans in one area of the room-unemptied. The bed was unmade, trash not emptied and towels not replaced. As we were exhausted and just wanted to rest we just asked the housekeeper to empty the trash and provide clean towels. We made the bed. The following day we returned to our room at 8 pm. The room was just as we left it at 9 am. This time we reported this to the front desk and while they offered dinner (we had eaten) and then a drink on them, we really just wanted to relax in the room. However, we accepted the drink so we didn't have to stay and linger while the room was attended to. Really, two complete days with no house keeping. Is there a new policy that we pay extra for that these days? While the people at the front desk took care of things, they were not particularly hospitable or friendly. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Tulip60,

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced while staying at our hotel. From your feedback it looks like even with our attempts to resolve the issues it did not change your feelings about your overall stay. I am currently working with my team to address the issues and make sure what you experienced does not happen in the future. We value your business and want you to know that we are truly sorry that this stay did not exceed your expectation. I hope that you will give us a chance in the future, so we can show you the great service you have come to expect from Marriott. Have a happy and healthy 2012.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I was impressed the moment I walked through the door. After a long day's work and travel, the night front desk staff were friendly and efficient. My room request was met and I was on the elevator within 5 minutes. The room was beautifully decorated, clean, and odor free. Very Zen actually. The sheets, towels, bathroom, iron were all clean too. The Ipod clock radio was a dream and the flat screen LCD was also fantastic with HBO included. There was a refridgerator, but no microwave which was disappointing. I was also bothered that the air conditioner seemed to start up loudly, but then again it could just be my sensitivity to noise. There was public parking, $7 per day, free N&W, attached directly to the hotel and there was always an available space. I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is a pretty nice hotel, well designed, and clean. But they do not have restaurant and room service, which is a problem for the money they charge. Also front desk staff is slow, and forgetful. I asked for a wakeup call, and thank god woke up early myself, because there was no wake up call, so I could easily miss my early train. They were not able to give clear direction about the shuttle pick up, which is by the way, is too far from metro station. The driver never helped with luggage, and seemed unhappy. The cleaning staff is too loud, laughing right at my door, which was destructive, as I was working on my computer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Ms. Maria T,

I want to apologize for the challenges you had while staying at our hotel. I will be passing on these concerns about service to my department managers to improve the experience for future guests. With the transition to the Bistro as the option for food and beverage we unfortunately no longer offer room service or a more formal restaurant option. Our Bistro provides a more expedited approach to good food making it easier for our guests to get their food while on the go. I am not sure if you were aware that we do have a to-go option in our Bistro that would allow you to take the items ordered to your room. We truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you in the future. Have a great evening!

Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown? Share your experiences!