“Not a great stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
SILVER SPRING
“Not a great stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Had an amazing night but due to my company not the room itself. The room smelled bad... Not to mention the bathroom. After leaving the door open for a while the smell went away. Bathroom had mold on the door. Not the slightest bit sexy for a hotel. The bed was very comfortable though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
HAMPTON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I would not recommend this property. I should have known that I was in trouble when I saw the bullet proof glass at the front desk. The wall paper was coming off the wall, there was this smell. I did not stay in this room. Lucky for me, I stayed somewhere else. My friend let me stay with her b/c she felt bad for me. She didn't even what to sit down. Why would you associate your flag with such a property? I did not touch a thing in this room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

STERLING
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The first room that we were in was dirty. The bedspread had a huge crusty whit stain in the middle of the bedspread. They moved us to another room and the air conditioner didnt work. Then they moved us to a third room. The third room wasn't much better. The side table was broken and the room smelled horrible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

York, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Young clerk who checked me in was talking the whole time with someone in the next room, not paying much attention to my questions.

No hot water upon awakening and a dozen bedbug bites.
I should have suspected something when checking in I saw some mattresses by the dumpster.

Room Tip: Choose a room with no bedbugs and that has hot water 24/7.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Waxhaw, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

No continental breakfast (Hotels.com lied about that), no ice makers working, air conditioner with 2 settings (Yukon, off), iffy locks, shady inhabitants, and 6 hour open pool (2PM-8PM).

Look, save yourself a nightmare and stay next door at Days Inn. Hotels.com also lied about the price they charged me (15% off became 0% off when charged). My daughter and I had a great time in DC, and then returned to a bunch of customers fighting down the hall, windows were broken, police were called, people were arrested. Travelodge, you might want to fire everyone there or revoke their franchise and GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Blacklick, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

If I could give this place a ZERO, I would.
We were looking for a place outside of DC for just one night's stay. We arrived early, and luckily, they let us check in early. Heading to our room, we walked thru a corridor that smelled like urine, and as we got into our room, we immediately wanted to leave! The carpet was dingy, the AC did not work properly (it didnt have any stickers on it to determine what was heat vs AC), the door was not sealed and let in hot air; the bathtub had a large piece of wall paper in the bottom of it (presumably for a shower mat); there was a ton of mold around the tub, in the grout and around the door frame; the spigot didnt even work properly! Sure, it has free WiFi, but the 'cable TV' was only 10 - 15 chanels (5 of which were in spanish); the bed was lumpy and who knows what was living inside the mattress (needless to say, our luggage did NOT come back into our house!).

When asked how our stay was as we were checking out, I replied honestly that it had left MUCH to be desired, and proceeded to run down the afformentioned list. The clerk seemed a bit confused as to what I was telling him, as if this was the 1st time it was brought to his attention. His response was: 'Why didnt you call us?' ...as if there was something better?

DO NOT stay in this hotel! Learn from my lesson: Frugality does not pay! Spend a few extra bucks a night and stay in a nicer hotel!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I were attending a conference in DC and looking for a hotel outside of the city to save some money. This one was great! I was a little weary because it's small and in between these new high-rise apartments but it was fine. There's a Subway attached to it and it's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Metro. Our room was great--nothing fancy but we didn't expect there to be. The heat and AC worked great, shower was nice and new. Bed was comfortable. I think it only came with 1 pillow a person so I would bring extra pillows. Our fridge didn't work we didn't even know it came with a fridge so weren't missing out on anything. The front desk men were quiet and on the phone a lot but were nice and helpful. There was free Wifi, it was really a good deal for the location. Don't go into expecting a hot tub in the room and little mints on the pillow and you'll won't be disappointed. My only complaint was that the Metro was closed for construction some of the time we were there so we had to take a bus into the city--but that's not the hotel's fault. They even had a sign up in the lobby about it and alternate transportation. There are also a ton of cute restaurants all along the strip in Silver Spring, don't be afraid to try new things!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge Silver Spring? Share your experiences!