“Down to Drinking from Mayonnaise Jars!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mrs K's Toll House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 323 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Dale
silver spring, MD
“Down to Drinking from Mayonnaise Jars!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took my niece there to celebrate her birthday. She had heard so many good things and that was her request. I love downstairs with the exposed brick and the wine cellar or i did. First of all... there were small mayonnaise jars on the tables. I was told it was the new contemporary look. No table cloth and stems as I had been accustomed to there. I was served my $34-37 entree on a cutting board. I keep hearing the average price is $30 but I have never been there and spent under $125 for two people. A couple, at about $60 each, is already at $120.When I spend this kind of money there is no way I want to drink from a small mayo jar. I can do that at home if I want. If I drink out of a glass at home, I can at least get a water glass when dining out. I was also upset because the meal came without our having ever received the appetizers we ordered. To ad injury to insult, I had purchased a $150 Gift Card. In the event I could not go, I wanted her to be able to go with a friend. We had dinner but since we never got the appetizers I had almost $30 left. Initially they took it and said the balance would go to tips. This I did not stand for. I decide what I am tipping. Service was not the greatest. I ordered a bottle of wine but had to fill our glasses myself. I was however, going to leave a 15% tip. It would still be under $20. I did in the end get a certificate for the balance and will use it up and never go there again after going at least 2-3 times a year. I have no idea what has happened there but if it was due to a wedding going on at the same time, then they should close to the public if they are having a private affair. I don't advise it if your standards are above the average.
By the way, I was told there would be 2 cup cakes with candles for the birthday. There was one piece of cake for her. I had to sit and watch her eat it. The cake was really delicious and better than a cup cake but the other person at the table should have been able to enjoy it with her.
The coffee was cold and had to be returned. The waiter did the best with what he had to work with.
My jars at home are better.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

silver spring, md
“Loved the "Barrel Bar" in the Wine Cellar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The atmosphere in the wine cellar bar is really great. The lighting is dim but there are large windows looking out into the garden that give the bar a very nice look. The bartenders are really terrific - friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. They have a great happy hour with a large selection of alcoholic beverages, including wines and beers, at greatly reduced prices. The happy hour also has a menu of many different small tasting plates at reasonable prices. Thus, we were able to try several different types of wines to go with our tastings of ceviche, spinach croquettes, oysters and meatballs. The wine bar is a really great place to enjoy happy hour and a light dinner.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Framingham, Massachusetts
“SO SO GOOD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

First, I like to find good places to review, (I look at Tripadvisor all the time) because, simply, in a bad economy I hate to waste my money on a bad restaurant. I have some clunkers, but thank goodness the opposite happened here! I do experiment, and this was one of my experiments - Wow did I luck out.
location - this was chosen because myself and my friend could find NO parking in the DC restaurant areas and were so frustrated, we decided to continue out of DC to find and eaterie. We found Mrs. K's.
parking - (big smile here! lots of parking)
atmosphere (at least in summer, beauty all around - I took lots of pics on this one), a banquet room that was so pretty, a downstairs area,(full of history), a patio (lovely)
service - The service (Denise) was one of the best, most personal service I have EVER had (my friend agreed) and I don't say this lightly. She was so wonderful as a hostess. Please ask for her! I bet the other hostesses are great too, if Denise is any indication! Nate (manager) came over to personally greet the table, and was so very gracious! Dimitri (manager as well I believe) gave myself and my friend a PERSONAL tour (ghost stories abound! Ask Dimitri to show the picture of the room - so cool!) that was so much fun!
Food - We decided to concentrate on the appetizers - I had a virgin strawberry margarita (Look at the real strawberries - incredible!) I was daring and we had the steamed mussels in a delicious sauce (the pic shows 1/2 - Denise gave us both our own plate to make it easier!) a kind of potsticker - wow! We had fried oysters in a remoulade sauce - to die for. And I almost forgot the cake - more like a succulent moist brownie fudge-y thing. (Can't put my finger on it, but boy was it good.) I sometimes get the same thing at many restaurants, but these appetizers were so very well done. I can tell you that personally I will make this the place I go to each time, after I visit to Arlington National Cemetery. In closing, I wish you could have tasted that margarita, and sat out on the patio, looking out on the foliage and garden around the restaurant. Take a look at the pics - they truly tell the story!
p.s. the website is so serene, with the music, it is worth visiting it!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nyack, New York
“surprisingly good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

looks very dated but still cozy and cute
our waitress was attentive. there are multiple rooms
the airconditioning was working

Visited July 2013
Maryland, USA
“Good food and a unique nice ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Mrs K's Toll House is a very cute restaurant with a tasteful historic feel and atmosphere. The food is very good from appetizers through the main course to dessert. I recommend Mrs K's Toll House if you are looking for a wonderful and memorable dining experience in Silver Springs.

• Visited August 2012