“My consistent choice for hotel in Silver Spring” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
From $89 with Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Chicago, Illinois
“My consistent choice for hotel in Silver Spring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I frequently stay here when I'm in town for business trips (every couple months). It's often the best value of the area hotels. The rooms are well maintained, staff is pleasant, and breakfast is included. The location is great - walk to metro, fabulous restaurants, and theatres.

I have and will continue to recommend this hotel to friends and family visiting the DC area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Orlando Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I just stayed at the the Hampton Inn Silver Springs, and used it for my "car-less vacation." We flew in to Reagan National Airport, and after about a 30 minute metro ride, we were at the Silver Springs station. After a 10 minute walk, we were at the hotel, and checked-in.

The staff was unbelievably friendly, the rooms were spotless, service was prompt, and the hotel felt incredibly safe.

The hotel is surrounded by lots of great local restaurants, and chain restaurants. (For some great Ethiopian Food try Abod just down the street).

I know that when I am back in DC I will stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Regional D, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hello WDWZEUS!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We are so happy that you had an enjoyable “car-less vacation" and that our staff exceeded your expectations. Hopefully we will see you again soon!
Huntersville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was here on business, seems to be a very good location, valet parking which is a bit frustrating ( i believe that should be on the booking screen so you can add it to your total expense)
this is an interesting hotel as it is homewood suites on one side and HI on the other--
nice breakfast, nice rooms

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
hamptonssgm, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for any confusion regarding parking and wehope to see you return again soon. Safe travels.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel only offer valet parking for $15 plus tips. Be prepared to wait at least 20 minutes each time you need your vehicle. Hotel location is in a tight spot and barely visible from the street on Colesville Road. No problems with the front desk staff as they are friendly and approachable. There are no refrigerators or microwave ovens in the rooms. The ice holder and portable coffee maker is kept in the bathroom...very unsanitary. The WiFi internet connectivity is extremely slow. Be aware of the lazy housekeeping staff. On day #2 of my stay, my room was half cleaned plus no wash cloths or towels were left. Called the front desk and 10 minutes later, wash cloths and towels were delivered. On day #3 I left my room at 8:30am and returned at 3pm to find my room completely un-made. I did not leave a "do not disturb" sign on my door. I called the front desk and expressed my concerns. After a heartfelt apology, I was told that housekeeping would be right up. After 40-minutes I called the front desk again and they were shocked housekeeping did not show up so they contacted them again and they finally showed up. The cleaning lady showed up angry as evidenced by her body language....she cleaned the bathroom extremely well, however, she did not wipe off the night stands and when she changed the bed linen I noticed later that night one of the pillow cases were dirty!!!

Excellent job with the free continental breakfast.

I would highly recommend selecting another hotel in the area. They have plenty to choose from. Don't be a disappointed out of town guest precipitated by the poor quality experienced from this hotel, Hampton Inn Silver Spring, Maryland.

• Stayed January 2013
hamptonssgm, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff and we will make the necessary adjustments for our guest. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a city location. There is only valet parking, which means you need to have them bring your car around everytime you go out (and don't forget to tip them!). It is a strange entrance off the street, and, I had to walk in to make sure it was where we made our reservations.
There were a few problems. There was no coffee maker and no light bulb in the foyer to the room. The biggest problem, however, was the pool. I swim 4 x's a week, and, I was ready for a swim Wednesday morning, the day before Thanksgiving. I was informed the pool is only open 4-10 p.m. due to Maryland's state regulations requiring a lifeguard. So...you can't hire two lifeguards???? Then, when I saw the pool, it was only 3.5 feet deep (and I am 6 feet, 2 inches) and the honorable lifeguard was playing with his smartphone the entire time I splashed around in the pool. So, if you are a swimmer, there is a club down the same street and the hotel above it has complementary entrance to the pool (which is a lap pool, nice long but narrow lanes).
It is not the most ideal location or arrangement. But, it is cheap. And, you do pay for what you get. The front desk were cool and aloof, with no empathy for my room details missing. What saved the day was the housekeeping manager who came to apologize. She was classy! The morning breakfast was both complementary and satisfying.
Good luck if you choose to go there. There are pluses and minuses. As I write this review, my wife's son, who lives in Silver Spring, is holding his annual business meeting in this facility. I told him of the drawbacks, but, the low cost will save him a few dollars, so he went for it regardless of my experience. I would like to give three stars because all of my other Hampton Inn experiences have been fantastic; this is clearly an anomaly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hamptonssgm, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. We apologize for the housekeeping and pool issues you experienced withus. We will be sure to address both situations. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We researched long and hard as to where to base ourselves in DC. It had to be safe, and convenient to local shopping and transport. And because we are a family of 5, it had to be affordable as we need 2 rooms wherever we go. The Hampton Inn and the Silver Spring area met our needs admirably.
We were provided with adjoining rooms which meant we had plenty of space and easy access to be with (or get away from) each other. The beds were comfortable and pillows were plentiful albeit on the soft side. A plus after coming directly from NYC was the absolute quiet at night. The breakfast room had a nice ambience and the selection of cereals, yoghurt, hot food and pastries more than met our needs for the long days out walking. The always available tea and coffee was also handy rather than having to make a cuppa in our room at the end of the day.
Probably the only drawback was the lack of a mini-fridge. Although ice was available, it did not keep long.
The location in Silver Spring was outstanding. Within easy walking distance of the Metro, we had no trouble finding our way there from the station even with our bags in tow. It also made it quick and easy to head downtown for sightseeing. The number of people, shops and restaurants around gave the area some vibrancy in the evening.
We used the valet parking as we only had a car for one night however it a more economical option is to use the car park behind the hotel.
Staff were available and friendly whenever we needed them. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hamptonssgm, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Hampton Inn Silver Spring Hotel. We’re delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay with us here in downtown Silver Spring. Most guests find our hotel quite convenient to the Metro making it very accessible to Washington, DC. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

As a business traveler, I have several immovable needs: hotel rates within per diem, proximity to customer location, cleanliness, free parking and complimentary breakfast. These five conditions are rare in metropolitan DC area as I discovered during my research since our travel department will just book you in any hotel that comes up on their system. I needed to be close to Walter Reed hospital in Bethesda but there were no hotels within my per diem that I would want to stay for any length of time. Free parking is another major issue since most hotels – especially mid to high end hotels only provide valet/pay parking. Complimentary breakfast is apparently not in vogue in this area either since most hotels do not offer free breakfast.

Location, location, location: Hampton Inn is close to Bethesda and even in heavy rush hour traffic, took about 15 minutes from hotel to WRNMMC at Bethesda with or without freeway. It’s faster using local routes.

Parking: although Hampton Inn only provides valet parking (not reimbursable); however, as the valets will tell you, there is public parking structure on Cameron and Fenton Street that offers free parking on the second floor from 7PM-7AM weeknights and all day on weekends. It literally takes one minute to walk from the hotel to parking on the next block.

Cleanliness: hotel rooms are large, modern, clean and very comfortable. The cleaning staff keeps both the bedding and towels well laundered. The only issue that I had was that the heater was loud at times that had me thinking about changing rooms but I didn’t have the time and the energy to do that. I did ask about it to Mr. Wesson and he was more than accommodating to help me settle into a new room when I was ready. By the way, I found everyone from the Front desk clerks to the valets out in front to be most friendly. I travel a lot for work so it was a refreshing experience to be greeted each day by the friendliest hotel staff encountered anywhere.

Free breakfast: I read the posts by previous guests on Trip Advisor before booking this hotel and I have to agree that the breakfast is one of the best that I’ve seen. Aside from scrambled eggs and meat items, there are vegetarian friendly items like fresh fruit, pastries, oatmeal, waffles, etc. that are a real blessing when all you want is to grab a bagel and a banana as you exit.

This is the longest review that I have ever written but it was such a challenge for me to find this hotel for work and I had such a positive experience that I felt I owe it to my fellow road warriors to list the amenities that we need when we travel. Check out this place when you are in need of a great place to stay in metropolitan D.C area. I forgot to mention that it’s in downtown Silver Spring within walking distance to the malls, two blocks away from Whole Foods and CVS on Fenton Street among many other stores that you may need to be comfortable during your stay. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Room 201 occasionally has noisy heater sound that lingers after the heater shuts off.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hamptonssgm, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello! Thank you for your kind remarks, as well as feedback on your breakfast experience. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us so much and we appreciate your kind comments regarding the staff and the hotel. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future!

Been to Hampton Inn Silver Spring? Share your experiences!