“Second and Last Stay at Homewood Suites Silver Spring” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$159 - Suite + Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
San Francisco, California
“Second and Last Stay at Homewood Suites Silver Spring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

i stayed here a last year for almost 3 weeks and I had a great experience. This time I stayed for 1 night and decided I won't be going back because of bugs. First off i will say that they did improve the valet. They were courteous and approached my car when I pulled in, and there is a valet stand so you actually know who is valet. I needed my car a few times during my stay and each time they were on time (still had to call 30 mins ahead but that was fine with me). Breakfast was okay- nothing fancy and the reception was the same. Staff was courteous as they were on my last stay.

The reason I will not stay again is because of the bugs I found in the bed(s). I do not know if they were bed bugs, but nonetheless there was a bug crawling on the comforter of room 1401 so I switched rooms and found a tiny bug crawling on the pillowcase in room 1406. Different bugs in each room. Also, each of the rooms had a pillowcase with what looked like makeup on them. They may have been "clean" and just stained with makeup but not something I would want to lay my head on. The GM and manager came up and inspected the bed and surrounding area and decided they were not bed bugs. I did my own inspection and decided to stay in the room for the night. I didn't get any bites that night but I have since cancelled my upcoming 3 week reservation to stay there again.

I will not stay here again but I would still recommend this hotel if you're looking for something close to the metro, serves breakfast, an evening reception and a small gym. Close to Whole Foods and many casual eateries- just be sure to check the mattress for bugs before settling in your room. I also think $12 is high for valet considering you have to call down 30 minutes ahead, and there is no wi-fi in the room.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Tuttle, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have stayed at JW Marriott Hotel, Mayflower Rensaissance Washington Hotel and Washington Hotel in DC and The Homewood Suites in Silver Spring, MD is the best! Thanks Nicole Wyche and Nicole Johnson for all YOUR help!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

i stayed at the hampton in back in feb. and i can honstly say i would NEVER stay here agin. this has been the worst experience ever! first off there are BED BUGS in this hotel when i brought it up to a manager they said "sorry and comp me a night" not helpful at all i slept with BED BUGS!! second there isnt enough luggage carts, come on 2 or 3 carts is not enough for "TWO HOTELS" in one and there is no one to help with luggage. i suggest, with the money you are going to spend here might as well spend it at a better hotel with better service. this hotel has no clue whats going on, not even managers have a clue of whats going on or what to do. i spoke to a "manager" name shawn and i stated i would let my colleagues know not to come and stay here no more he stated "thats fine" okay thank you for your wonderful service i really got my moneys worth! oh yeah they also charge $12 for valet, they tell you to request your vehicle 20-30mins in advance to have it ready which i did, came down stairs and i didnt find my vehicle, but they still charged me and made me late to my meetings!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
hamptonssgm, General Manager at Homewood Suites Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
My name is Dan Jasinski and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites. I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that might occur. Your comments concerning the response to your issues are very concerning. We have reviewed your comments with our staff.
I wanted to address your comments concerning the luggage racks. The hotel has recently purchased four additional luggage racks for our guests to use. I want to apologize for the delay you encountered in retrieving your car in the morning. We do ask that you call 30 minutes ahead and your vehicle should be there for you. I see that you scored other aspects of our hotel such as location very high, I hope that you would give our hotel another chance and I am confident that your stay would be more enjoyable.

Dan Jasinski
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Stayed here with the family. We were hoping for a suite with a separate bedroom. This hotel has only one large room. That was our only real disappointment. The breakfast was pretty good and served its purpose very well.

Hotel is a few blocks from the metro line and is well located if you are visiting Silver Spring. If you want to spend time in DC proper, it is not such a great location.

The staff was pretty good and the valet just required that you call about 20 minutes ahead of time. The car was always there.

Don't expect a 4 star hotel, but it is a good alternative for a family.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Kennebunk, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We had a great stay, even though it was just for a couple of nights. The staff was great, especially Micheline, who was able to get us into a room, before the check in time, so that we could have a place for our car and luggage and still make the metro for our 11:00 AM appointment.
The only negative, and it may not even be worth mentioning was the heat/ac unit fan couldn't be set on low for quieter operation at night. I did mention it, but since we were only there for 2 days they may not have had time to get to it. I guess we could have asked for another room, but like I said it was a short stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I let the valet park the car one night. All compartments had been searched and toll money was stolen. Very disappointing for a Hilton property. The manager never returned my call.
Looks like they don't even care.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

No access to our own cars. No carts to take luggage or clothes to room. No real help, only insincere "offer" after we were almost finished. And much snootiness about how we were from the sticks and things are done differently "here."

• Stayed October 2010
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
#6 of 12 in Silver Spring
3.5 of 5 stars 188 reviews

Been to Homewood Suites Silver Spring? Share your experiences!