“Well-run inn with a marina vibe, excellent views” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersBronze level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Well-run inn with a marina vibe, excellent views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at "Bob Pascal's St. Michaels Harbour Inn, Marina & Spa" and would recommend it accordingly. It's a well-run yet unpretentious place with a marina vibe, but not an adorable B&B or well-appointed upscale hotel. The value proposition is a stretch, but far cheaper than the Inn at Perry Cabin, and acceptable given the popularity of St. Michaels.

Our party, two parents with an infant, stayed in a Miles River suite for two nights, mid-week, in high summer season. The two-room suite is large, including a vanity sink separate from the bathroom and another sink in the main room with a refrigerator. We had plenty of room and appreciated the space, but it seemed semi-furnished. The wall hangings are few but tasteful. The TVs are old and small, but there is one in each room and they have a good number of channels. A good selection of DVDs is available for rent.

A balcony was accessible from both rooms, all of which had excellent views of the harbor and the Miles River, including the Hooper Strait Lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum campus across the harbor channel from the room. There are boat slips just a few feet from the balcony, which afford intimate views of the comings and goings of the marina tenants, but felt a bit exposed as a result.

The restaurant was not top notch, but very good, better than expected, and appreciated as a go-to place during our stay. We looked forward to our meals, including two breakfasts, a dinner, and one light dinner as room service. The crab cocktail, halibut, and risotto were great. Complimentary morning coffee in the lobby was an apt substitute for in-room coffee. The tap water didn’t taste very good. We received a couple of complimentary bottles at check-in to start us off.

The pool was small and shallow, with an uninspiring spa section in one corner. The pool area was otherwise pleasant with views and direct access to the bar and restaurant though a window.

The spa seemed like a separate operation that outclassed the inn a bit. We couldn’t schedule back-to-back services for Thursday on a Wednesday, but my wife did get a facial and appreciated the narrative about the high-quality products being used.

We arrived in danger-zone weather, 100° with oppressive humidity. The air conditioning was thankfully robust throughout the facility, but the otherwise reasonable walk to town became absolutely prohibitive, not to mention with an infant. The short drive to town and parking were no trouble during mid week, but may have been more of a hassle on the weekend.

There are more quaint and classy places to stay in St. Michaels, but we had a great time staying at the Harbour Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed one night at the Harbour Inn while attending a wedding. We were placed in a room on the third floor which had a balcony with two lounge chairs as well as a small table and chairs. The best part was the view which was over looking the harbour. In addition, were pleasantly surprised by the amenities which included use of the fitness center, use of bicycles, use of the hotel pool, as well as a coupon for a free drink at the restaurant bar. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. I only wish the bathrooms were slightly larger and had more counter space. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Broomall, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We arrived earlier than our 4 PM check in time. The front desk receptionist told us to come back at 2 PM and our room was ready as promised. The staff bends over backwards for you. Everyone greets you and asks if you need anything, etc. They offer a buy one get one free drink at the bar, a free DVD to watch, free bikes. The beds are very comfortable. We had a room with a view, no balcony but we didn't care since the view was perfect. The jacuzzi in the bedroom was great. The only thing I thought was odd was that they did not have a coffee maker in the room but they did offer coffee and tea free in the lobby starting at 7 AM. Also, they did not have premium channels or movies on demand. But then again we didn't really go there to watch tv. The town was clean, nice and everyone is friendly. They do close shop early though so get your shopping done in the daytime. We had a great crab cake dinner at Crab and Steak with some great bloody marys. All in all it was very relaxing and I'd recommend it to a friend. Also, you can walk to town. It's not far at all.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

After a three day conference in Arlington, VA my husband and I stopped over in St. Michaels for some quality time. A friend of mine kept telling me about St. Michaels and I am glad we went...charming place.

Let me say this, the Harbour Inn was not my first choice. I was very skeptical of the hotel because it has like 11 terrible reviews, so usually that's a red flag. However, there is not a lot of hotels/inns in downtown St. Michaels so you don't have that much to choose from. There are plenty of Bed and Breakfasts but I wasn't really in the mood for a BnB.

So what we did once we got to St. Michaels is drive around to all the hotels and see what deals they had available. So we didn't make any reservations ahead of time; this was truly a spur of the moment thing.

What we did find out is that the "Inn at Perry Cabin" is the best hotel is St. Michaels, however it very expensive (too expensive for the area) and we were only staying for one night and I didn't want pay $295 a night.

I didn't like the way Harbourtowne Golf Resort looked from the outside and the Best Western is not in the main town of St Michael's.

So last stop was the Harbour Inn. The location is excellent. Right in the heart of town. Walking distance to everything. The outside and lobby of the hotel is well maintained. So before I booked our stay there I asked to look at the room first. I opened a door to a roomy, clean, spacious king size suite that had a kitchen and fabulous waterfront view with a balcony. You can tell its an older hotel but they try to maintain the room the best they can. This was a no brainer, I booked the room.

They have complimentary bicycles if you want to ride into town, one free movie to order and other deals like free parking. There is no Internet in the room but you can use the computer in the lobby. Staff was super nice and friendly.

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here and would stay again. But it was a gamble because the bad review did scare me, but it could be the fact that we went during the off-season and didn't encounter the same negative issues....thank goodness.

northern va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I wrote the original "Lower your Expectations . . .". I can not begin to
express how much I appreciate how Robert Pascal reached out and wanted to
"redeem" my friend and my previous stay.

I got an email and a personal phone call. I and my friend, were offered an
anytime overnight stay that would be complimentary.

I just happened to have Good Friday off (and it was good!). With very little
notice, Robert Pascal and staff managed to get us a room on a busy Easter
weekend. Long story short, we ended up in the Admiral Suite (no he was not
there - darn). Amazing room with huge windows and doors out to an extended
balcony.

When we arrived, we were greeted and helped with luggage. The room, the
view, the sounds and smells from the harbour and the comfort factor was a 5.
Still would like a coffee maker but hey, I was singing I was so happy. We
even had a Momma Duck nesting in a flower pot. She was a lesson in the
amazing powers of mother nature.

After getting settled in to our too good to be true suite, we ventured to
the pool area (although pool not open yet) had tables, chairs and lounge
chairs.

If you have not tried the "Pascal" and you enjoy a refreshing special drink
- you are in for a treat. One lead to two which lead to laughter and then a
wonderful nap in our room. Breeze, smells, chimes and water (along with the
"Pascal") created the best nap ever.

Had some room service Calamari on the balcony after waking up hungry.
Crispy, fresh and delicious. Enjoyed on the balcony which could use a table
to sit your goodies on.

Dinner was sooo good. I won't eat Salmon unless it is moist and tender. It
was! The bread, again, awesome. My friend had a grilled cheese (go figure)
with bean soup. She also ordered the wilted spinach salad. She did share
some with me and it was
well dressed ( not too dressy but quite tasteful and unique, kind of like -
well you figure it out).

Desserts another story. They were delivered to our room and if you can get
the Chocolate something a rather martini - you should.

The next day, was again beautiful and we could not ask for more.

I now recommend you give Robert Pascal and his amazing establishment a
chance to really care for you - you can book online directly with the Harbour Inn
or you can book through Travelocity, Expedia . . .

I'm not writing this because my friend and I got a complimentary stay. I am
writing this, because Robert Pascal really cared whether we were happy or
not. I have not experienced this before. The words are there many times but,
the sincerity - well, actions speak louder than words.

I know this review is long BUT - I felt that you would not get the true feel
for an amazing adventure that was totally ABOVE AND BEYOND.

I hope you get the opportunity to experience the Harbour Inn.
You can do a weekend - or special package, for a reasonable rate if you do
your homework.

THANK YOU TO ROBERT PASCAL and his elf's.

Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to Messages
ASCII (ASCII)Greek (ISO-8859-7)Greek (Windows-1253)Latin-10 (ISO-8859-16)Latin-3 (ISO-8859-3)Latin-6 (ISO-8859-10)Latin-7 (ISO-8859-13)Latin-8 (ISO-8859-14)Latin-9 (ISO-8859-15)W. European (850)W. European (CP858)W. European (HPROMAN8)W. European (MACROMAN8)W. European (Windows-1252)Armenia (ARMSCII-8)Baltic Rim (ISO-8859-4)Baltic Rim (WINDOWS-1257)Cyrillic (866)Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)Cyrillic (KOI8-R)Cyrillic (KOI8-RU)Cyrillic (KOI8-T)Cyrillic (KOI8-U)Cyrillic (WINDOWS-1251)Latin-2 (852)Latin-2 (ISO-8859-2)Latin-2 (WINDOWS-1250)Turkish (ISO-8859-9)Turkish (WINDOWS-1254)Arabic (ISO-8859-6, ASMO-708)Arabic (WINDOWS-1256)Hebrew (856)Hebrew (862)Hebrew (WINDOWS-1255)Chinese Simplified (GB-2312-80)Chinese Simplified (GB18030)Chinese Simplified (HZ-GB-2312)Chinese Simplified (ISO-2022-CN)Chinese Simplified (WINDOWS-936)Chinese Trad.-Hong Kong (BIG5-HKSCS)Chinese Traditional (BIG5)Chinese Traditional (EUC-TW)Japanese (SHIFT_JIS)Japanese (EUC-JP)Japanese (ISO-2022-JP)Korean (ISO-2022-KR)Korean (EUC-KR)Thai (TIS-620-2533)Thai (WINDOWS-874)Vietnamese (TCVN-5712)Vietnamese (VISCII)Vietnamese (WINDOWS-1258)Unicode (UTF-7)Unicode (UTF-8)Unicode (UTF-16)Unicode (UTF-32)
| Full Headers
Reply Reply All Forward Forward

Mail Search
WelcomeInboxNewFoldersMail Options

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

My husband and I were on a road trip through Maryland and we heard from a bartender in Annapolis that St. Michaels was a great little town...she was so right!! On our way there we used our handy dandy iphone to look up places to stay and were excited about a couple of Inn's or Bed and Breakfasts that we saw. We took a tour of those places and were not impressed...then we went to St. Michael's Harbour Inn, Marina and Spa and got a great deal on a room...and so much more!! We thought it was going to be an average hotel room but WOW were we surprised!! The room that was just over $100 was a suite with a huge living room and a totally separate bedroom - both rooms were beautiful, both with a TV. Then there was the outside...a huge porch off our room just for us! It had two chairs & a table and two lounge chairs overlooking the harbor! It was gorgeous! I spent some good quality reading time on that deck!

The place has a shuttle that takes you to and from the town but if you are a leisurely walker, there is no need for the shuttle, the town is right there. We did take the shuttle to the Crab Claw and much to our surprise, the shuttle driver was the general manager. Nicest guy ever!! We checked into another room the next day and was, again, blown away by the room! This time we had a jacuzzi in the room, still a suite and a king bed!

The Inn also has plenty of bikes that you can check out for the day at no extra cost!! We took out two bikes and took a tour of the area...the houses were amazing, the bikes were in good condition...it was really a fun, romantic afternoon on the bikes.

My husband got a massage our last day there. He absolutely loved it! I used the exercise room which was small but had just what you needed including a TV. The staff was so friendly and was there to make sure that your stay there was nothing short of perfection, the location is PERFECT (right down the street from a local winery and brewery) and the Inn is absolutely amazing...there is a pool too but we were just a little too early for the opening of the pool. However, I sat by the pool which is right on the edge of the marina and watching the boats come in and out was a real treat! I would highly recommend this to everyone! In fact, I told my husband that if he is looking for an anniversary idea...a getaway to St. Michaels Harbour Inn, Marina and Spa is the way to go!!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We spent the past weekend in St. Michaels just to get away and relax. The rooms here are definately in need of updating but they are certainly not horrible. If you are accustomed to staying in nicer hotel chains (like Hiltons) that have the means to constantly update their furnishing and amenities, then this is not the place for you. Dated furniture, carpet and tv's don't bother me as long as things are clean. For the most part, our room was clean and in order. It did not have a refrigerator but the front desk kindly sent up a mini-frig within 15 minutes of our arrival. My only complaint was that the refrigerator was not wiped out before giving it to us. It wasn't a big deal because we only put sodas and wine in there, but I just think it should have been wiped out. The room had an awesome view of the harbor and Miles River. What a way to wake up with the water right outside your door. We enjoyed having the separate living room and jacuzzi tub. Plenty of nice quality towels were in the room. The balcony flower pots had dead flowers in them and the balcony furniture was plastic and dirty. But again not that big of a deal. Had we stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin (where I have stayed before..to the tune of $750/night for a lesser waterfront view) I would not have put up with the things we did here. Overall, it was a nice experience and would stay there again, simply because of the view from your room. One other minor thing that I would mention is that the hotel staff could use a brush up on hospitality. We specifically got the smoking room because we are both smokers. When asked if we could have an ashtray, we were told by the young man at the desk "Umm...a cup with some ice and water in it?". Who says that to a guest? I ended up finding an ashtray in the desk drawer, so it was fine. All in all, a pleasant stay. Surely there are more luxurious rooms available in St. Michael's, but aside from the Inn at Perry Cabin, not so sure you could find one with a better view of the water than this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!