I decided to start my 35th birthday weekend with a mini getaway to a spa. I researched destination spas close to Baltimore and I found the Spa at St. Michael’s Harbour Inn. I was so excited -- I woke up early and drove out there. Based on the website, I thought I could spend a wonderful afternoon on Thursday at the pool, eat dinner, and then spend the day at the spa on Friday. I arrived at the hotel and my room was not ready so I went out to the pool. A man was smoking out at the pool and then the bar/restaurant was right next to the pool so the pool was in no way private. It was the least relaxing pool I had ever seen. The hotel is expensive, I expected a more luxurious feel.
I went to the front desk and asked for the manager, I had not checked in so I thought I could just explain my dissatisfaction and leave the hotel. I was told that I would have to pay regardless since the hotel has a 72-hour cancellation policy. I explained that I thought the cancellation policy would only be relevant if I did not show up. Clearly, I drove an hour and 30 minutes.
I explained my plan to have a perfect day at the pool and I was not able to do that because the pool did not live up to the website description. The General Manager proceeded to tell me that life isn’t perfect so I should not be upset. While I understand that life is not perfect; I do expect a hotel that charges these rates to do everything it can to make me happy. She offered me a soda since I couldn't go out to the pool since the guy was smoking. She just kept making it worse and she had no sense of customer service.
Since I was going to have to pay for the hotel no matter what, I decided to stay. The room was nice, not outstanding and the amenities were ok. The next day I woke up and I rode around the island and actually found the place where I wish I had stayed, The Tilghman Island Inn if you are trying to go to the eastern shore, please stay there it is so nice and the manager and owner are very friendly. They took time to give me a tour even though I wasn't styaing there.
I am glad that the spa was nice; it sort of made up for the terrible treatment I received from the manager.
- Also Known As:
- St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina Hotel
- St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina And Spa
- St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina Hotel St. Michaels
- St Michaels Harbour Hotel Marina
- St Michaels Harbour Resort Marina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contemporary hotel located on the waterfront with views of Chesapeake Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.