“A Very Disappointing Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
iowa
“A Very Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in St. Michaels on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We were invited to a birthday party celebration to be held at the Key Lime Cafe. It was a disappointing experience from beginning to end. We walked into the restaurant with the honoree a bit early only to find, that after having given them a $500.00 deposit, they had no idea who we were or why we were there. Apparently, the dates had been transposed, so alright accidents happen. Well, this was to be a special occasion with a menu hand picked by the honoree for all of their guests, mostly who were from out of town. The appetizers were late in coming and not what had been ordered, although they were good. The entrees also, were not what had been ordered. The fish that was served was overcooked and what was billed as rib-eye steak, was not. We're still not certain what cut of meat it was, but the consensus was that it wasn't a true rib-eye. Time for dessert. Lovely cake, but again, not what was ordered. I have to say, that one would think that with all the mix- ups, the staff would have been bending over backwards to make sure that everyone was happy. The bartender seemed quite put off and the young waitstaff seemed a bit inexperienced. I'll have to admit though, that having been caught off-guard they recovered relatively well. Fair enough. The irritating part was the final bill. No compensation was given for the mix up. We paid top dollar for a dinner that was thrown together and not what had been planned. I get no joy in coming down on a small business owner, having been one myself and I'm certainly willing for pay for the services rendered. However, it seems to me that consideration should have been given to the fact that it was their mix-up and it wasn't the evening that had been so carefully planned. The owner's solution to this was to give the honoree and their spouse a gift certificate for another dinner of honoree's choosing. The problem is that the honoree will not go back to this establishment, which is unfortunate. I think the lessen learned here, is to own up to the fact a mistake has been made and to go out of your way to make sure that that the patrons know that you're willing to do what ever it takes to make them happy. The owner did non of this. The owner tried to cover up the mistake and then charged full pop. Buyer beware!

NJ
“Small portions for the money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We ate here on Sunday. I ordered the tenderloin and my wife had striped bass. The entrees tasted okay but were stingy for the price. The young staff was fair at best.

Pittsburgh, Pa
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

The Key-Lime Cafe is a lovely casual dining restaurant that provides wonderful service and food for a reasonable price. There is both indoor and outdoor seating available, and although it doesn't overlook the water, it is a great eatery to try while power shopping!

Saint Michaels, MD
“New Owners, New Chef, Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

The new owner's have hired a new chef. For informal dining, this is a great place to eat, that's not as expensive some other spots in town. I live in St. Michaels and we enjoy the wine dinners offerred every month, and we eat brunch here after church on Sundays.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Good food, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

Our party of 8 had a very good meal and dining experience. The ribs are excellent, as is the rockfish. Service was fine and wine reasonably priced.