“Love it here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Ellicott City, MD
“Love it here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

I absolutely loved my stay at the Inn. The staff was pleasant, the room was beautiful. I did take advantage of the spa services which were also amazing! The town of St. Michael's is adorable and very welcoming to out of town travelers. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt completely comfortable in the town and at the Inn. The local food and attractions provided me with plenty to do during my weekend stay. I absolutely reccomend Five Gables to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway!

• Liked — Beautiful location and rooms, can bring pets!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Crosswicks, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

The staff was very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help us rearrange some of our plans in the St. Michaels area when the weather was uncooperative. The room we stayed in was immaculate and the breakfast room was cheerful and offered an excellent continental breakfast. The on premises spa was a delight. Only one very minor criticism: the water in the in door heated pool was rather cold so we did not use it as much as we might have liked. Have stayed in St. Michaels several times and the 5 Gables offers the best accomodations in our experience.

• Liked — friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — cold water in the indoor heated pool
Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

Having visited the B&B about six times I can say this place is near perfect. I have gone alone (to escape the kids, husband and dog) as well as with the husband and dog, and with my sister. Off season is my favorite time the town is quiet and the shops are just so cute and you can walk to everything. It is inviting without being intrusive. Highly recommend this place to everyone. How about a frequent guest program?

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nonthing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westminster,Md.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

My girlfriend (we''re both our 60's came to Five Gables as a treat to ourselves for our birthdays. We had a wonderful time except my snoring kept her awake. We both had a spa treatment and walked all over town and ate at the 208 Talbot Restaurant. There was nothing we could have improved upon except my snoring. Would love to come a stay again. Ginny Cunningham

• Liked — Clean, good continental breakfast, and the spa amenities
  • Disliked — view of parking lot off back porch
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

I surprised my husband for his 40th birthday with a weekend getaway to St. Michaels and one week later we are still talking about what a great weekend trip it was! I read so many reviews on this site before booking that I feel I have to pass along our recommendations.

The Five Gables Inn is a wonderful place to stay and when we go back (which we are hoping is soon) it is the only place we would consider staying! While planning the trip I had contacted a lot of inns in St. Michaels (after checking them out online) and got different vibes from each of them. When I spoke with Barbara, the innkeeper at Five Gables, I immediately knew this was the place to stay. She spent at least a 1/2 hour telling me all about St. MIchaels, things to do and where to eat. Upon arrival Barbara and everyone at the inn made us feel right at home! The inn is actually made up of a few smaller buildings directly across the street from each other and the location is perfect!. We were thrilled to be upgraded to a beautiful suite that was right upstairs from where a lovely continental breakfast (fresh muffins, bagels, assorted juices) is served! The rooms do indeed look just like the photos on the website and I would be comfortable booking any of their rooms!

One of Barbara's recommendations was to eat next door at 208 Talbot and this restaurant did not disappoint. The entire meal was truly extraordinary! The service and ambience rival most restaurants we dine at in NYC - it is a really pleasant surprise to find a restaurant of this caliber in a quaint, bayside village like St. Michaels.

In addition to 208 Talbot, we also ate at The Crab Claw - and yes while everyone says it is a touristy joint - the staff is a lot of fun and while staying on the Chesapeake Bay how can you possibly pass up the opportunity to smash crabs on your table!

The St. Michaels Winery is also a fun place to visit. It was a really unique wine tasting experience - the winery is in a building behind an old flour mill and the wines are actually quite good - don't leave without trying the Chocolate Zinfandel.

To sum it all up - here are the Top 10 things to do: 1) Definitely plan a visit to St. Michaels 2) Stay at the Five Gables Inn 3) Eat at 208 Talbot 4) Get some steamed crabs 5) Have a "Dark & Stormy" - the best one you will find is at the Carpenter Street Saloon 6) Get up early and watch the village "wake up" 7) Visit the St. Michaels Winery 8) Take some serious time to go through all the shops 9) Watch the sailboats come into the harbour 10) Plan your next trip back!

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, warm and accommodating staff, location
Southeastern PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I just spent our 9th anniversary at the Five Gables and we were very satisfied. I found the Inn to be incredibly tasteful and comfortable. I find B&B's to sometimes be "over the top" for me with overly formal and cluttered decor. Five Gables was simple yet sophisticated. We stayed in a queen room and found it to be exactly as pictured and described on their website (what a refreshing experience as hotel websites usually picture their best room and you are left to wonder what you will get). The breakfast was more than enough for us - bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, etc. etc.. Evelyn was wonderful and her recommendations were perfect. One recommendation was "Shore" restaurant. This was probably one of the best meals I have had in a very long time. Also I read a former reviewer who complained of the location - don't listen - the Inn was in the perfect location. It is one block from the Maritime museum and within immediate walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. The shopping area of St. Michaels is only about 7 short blocks long and the Inn sits at one end. We also enjoyed a massage which we found to be wonderfully relaxing. Wherever you stay, St. Michaels is a wonderful little town for a weekend getaway.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

The innkeepers were very friendly and we got a great last minute mid week deal. I loved the steam room and pool.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Five Gables Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!