“Spectacular way to spend an Evening” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 14 Activities in St. Michaels
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Selina II sails daily from St Michaels MD from April-Oct. Passengers are limited to just six guests for a personal experience of the history of sail. Available on a per person basis or private charter, we offer day sails, romantic Champagne Sunset Cruises, moonlight sails, wine tasting and beer tasting excursions, sit down dinners, small weddings, overnights, engagements, birthdays,& anniversary celebrations.
“Spectacular way to spend an Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Wonderful evening cruise on a historic craft! It's good to see a piece of maritime history being cared for, and get the chance to see sail!

CaptainIris, Owner at Sail Selina II, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
We are often asked what is involved in maintaining Selina II, and the simplest answer is LOTS of hard work! But it is a labor of love, she is a grand old lady and deserves everything she gets. Selina has always taken care of my family, getting us back to dock safely even when she could have/would have sunk, so we take good care of her in return. Its a great relationship! And we take pride in trying to keep her as authentic as possible. We do use some modern products for repairs, but mostly we stick to traditional materials. It gives her such a rich warm appearance. Thanks for your kind words!

Ellicott City, Maryland, United States
15 attraction reviews
“A Gorgeous Day on the Bay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Selina II, a 2-hour excursion out of St Michaels, MD, on an historic 1926 sail boat still sailed by the grand-daughter of its original owners. Not only was the boat gorgeous, but each charter only takes six people, so a more intimate setting and no crowds.

No captain, no matter how awesome, can guarantee wind to sail by, and so it happened that the first time we went on the Selina II, there wasn't enough wind to merit hoisting the sails. But Captain Iris didn't let that daunt her nor ruin the afternoon. We enjoyed it so much that we decided this was something worth coming back again for, but this time with the kids. No two trips are the same -- on sailing days, she goes where the wind takes her, and the conversation goes likewise. Extremely knowledgeable about the Bay and its history and culture, Captain Iris engaged all the passengers, even the kids, making it fun and interesting for all.

For more about sailing on the Selina II and St Michaels,check out my blog at http://www.midatlanticdaytrips.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-day-on-bay-tilghman-island-st.html.

CaptainIris, Owner at Sail Selina II, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I love that you came back only a week after your first trip with us, and this time brought your kids, neat! Yes, each trip is different, completely depends on the weather and the interaction between guests, and the questions folks ask me. So I hope you come back again sometime, and have yet another completely different experience! - Capt Iris
Baltimore, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Just a slow motor boat ride to me...I don't get it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

First disappointment was getting on deck there were only 4 crummy chairs for 6 of us. wow. second was that you don't sail-- they use the motor, and I don't mean for a few minutes or until you clear the other boats, I mean for over HALF THE CRUISE! the most boring boat ride I have ever been on in my life. They only rolled (or should I say they made two customers haul) the sails out for a small portion of the "cruise" where we basically didn't go anywhere (as if you were anchored) and then put the sails away again and motored back to the harbor. They made sure that the advertising sign with the phone number was up at all times when in view of the shore, though, so perhaps that is why they don't want to use the sails more. While the captain was informative, she was condescending and not particularly hospitable (perhaps that's just the nature of the occupation) but all in all it seemed rather unromantic to me.

Visited June 2013
CaptainIris, Owner at Sail Selina II, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I'm sorry you were disappointed by the historic directors chairs in our cockpit. Most people are charmed to find out they date to 1950 and are only ever the second set of chairs Selina II has had. And actually we have seating for 8, the 4 seats you mentioned, and 4 built in bench seats with nice thick cushions. Many folks actually prefer the bench seats because they are up out of the cockpit and offer a better view and more air circulation. And I can only imagine you came on a day when we had very high winds. Normally we put up sails as soon as we leave the harbor, but on a very windy day we cross the river and go up into Leeds Creek to get some protection from the wind. Selina II is 87 years old and there is no need to push her hard. The nice benefit from doing this is we get to look at all the mansions in the estate district. Normally folks are delighted to go into this area and look at the gorgeous homes. I'm sorry you took offense to being offered the opportunity to participate putting up sails. When we can we offer guests a choice of participating or simply sitting back and relaxing, my crew is perfectly capable of putting the sails up himself. Most folks really enjoy going forward to hoist the sails, we have been thanked profusely for this so many times it samazing. As to going slowly, Selina II is known for her ambiance and comfort, not her speed. I dont know where you would have gotten the idea that we would go fast, we actually promote the fact that our outings are relaxing. I'm sorry you found the trip boring, I can only guess you would have a much better time on a modern boat. I'm sorry we didnt meet your expectations. Capt Iris
White Stone, SC
3 attraction reviews
“Wow a must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Capt. Iris and First Mate Frank are not only excellent sailors but captivating entertainers too. Three couples went out with a basket of food and a cooler of refreshments procured from The Inn at Perry Cabin. Breathtaking, fun, and smooth and quiet sailing. Frank saw to every detail while Captain Iris told of the history, lore, and magic of Selina II and Chesapeake Bay.

I'm going to do it again!

CaptainIris, Owner at Sail Selina II, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
For the most part we do offer smooth and quiet sailing, wind permitting. Selina II is the perfect platform for a picnic lunch, as long as it isnt blowing hard. When that happens we sneak up Leeds creek in the estate district getting some protection from the wind, giving us the opportunity to look at all the gorgeous mansions. So glad you enjoyed your trip! - Capt Iris
Cary, North Carolina
“Romantic and Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Sunset and moonlight sailing on the historic Selina II was romantic and peaceful. Captain Iris and Mate Frank are foremost exacting professionals. They effortlessly command their craft through subtle eye contact and nods while delivering upon the finest in hospitality. The boat is put about, another round of bubbly, a bit of chocolate, interesting conversation; all with the ease of a gentile tide. This was a real treat. Relax and enjoy!

Visited July 2013
CaptainIris, Owner at Sail Selina II, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
So glad you had a wonderful experience. Yes, First Mate Frank and I do communicate with subtle gestures. I think it makes for an understated, seamless, relaxing, magic ride. My observation has been that the louder a captain barks, the less capable they are. Thanks for the compliment! - Capt Iris