“Great place to stay while visiting DC. Clean, comfortable, safe.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
Ohio
“Great place to stay while visiting DC. Clean, comfortable, safe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

We chose to stay at Sleep Inn after reading the reviews here. The reviews weren't quite as important as the fact that the Management took the time to address each concern on this forum in a reasonable and thoughtful way. This fact assured me that if we ran in to any problems they cared enough to correct it.

I booked on- line and wanted 2 queens, non smoking. We were going to stay 4 days. At the time I booked those accommodations were not available the first 2 days. After reading some complaints about noise I did what the manager had advised someone to do- to let them know they preferred a quieter area. So in the on-line requests I let them know I really wanted 2 queens, non- smoking in a quiet section. When we arrived I was rather surprised that our room was just that! We were on the 3rd (top) floor, away from the elevators and down at the end away from traffic. There was a youth soccer team staying there and we never heard doors, voices, or anything. Noise was never a problem. In fact I noticed signs posted reminding sport groups guests/chaperones of expected behaviors and rules , so they obviously make efforts to control the youth groups. The rooms were clean, comfortable. The over sized walk in shower was great with lots of hot water and great water pressure. There is a refrigerator and hair dryer. Each day we returned to a clean, fresh room. The staff were all pleasant and helpful.

The prices of hotels anywhere close to DC are very expensive. We were very pleased with our rate-$75.00 for weekend and $84.00 for week day (AAA discount). Checking in and out was easy and my bill was correct.

Now, the advantage of staying here to use it as a base to see DC. The Shady Grove metro station is close by (but not within walking distance) and is the only way to get around the city. We used the hotel shuttle to take us to the Metro station twice and we also drove and parked at the Metro twice. The shuttle was convenient, but when we thought we might be late we drove and left our car. The parking was free on the weekend and $4.75 during the week. We purchased all day passes at Metro and that was $9.00 each.
You can ride all day and transfer as much as you need. Shady Grove is the the last station north of DC. It took us about 20 mins to ride in to the city. I was a bit worried about using the metro after dark but the hotel staff assured me it was safe and I soon realized it was in fact very safe.

There is a decent, reasonably priced steakhouse close by- Bugaboo Steakhouse. You can get appetizers, wings, etc in a fun atmosphere. The decor is a Canadian hunting lodge with lots of moose heads,etc.

So to sum it up- if you are looking for an inexpensive, clean, comfortable,safe place to stay while seeing our Nations Capital............don't hesitate.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, November 19, 2010
Dear RolexFan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us at Sleep Inn Rockville! Our team is focused on giving our guests the best stay possible each and every day. I'm very proud of their efforts, and very pleased your experience was great!

We appreciate your details on the many aspects of your stay. It really helps us to improve on any issues that arise, and of course keep doing the good things over and over again! We know that from time to time issues may arise, but it is our commitment to do our very best to make it right!

I also appreciate the fact that you recognized through not only our efforts at the hotel, but also the efforts to respond/reply to customer experiences that in fact we do care very much and want our guests to be happy, comfortable and safe.

Thank you again for your time and thoughtful detail in reviewing your experience with us, and we hope to see you again very soon!

Chris Zindash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

My best friend and I stayed here Sept. 16-18. I chose this property since it was close to DC (about a 30 min. drive in good traffic) and inexpensive. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the metro station which is great for those who do not want to deal with DC traffic. The room we had was clean, fridge was nice, air conditioning worked well and the beds were comfy. The continental breakfast in the morning was pretty good-offered fruit and whole grain bagels, bread and cereal along with the sugar rush pastries typical of a continental breakfast. The breakfast area was clean and kept well stocked by the attendent. My only complaint is this hotel must have been built with the thinnest materials for floors and walls. You usually hear doors closing and talk in the halls but the person in the room above us (we were on the 2nd floor) was either jumping off the bed or an elephant since the noise was unbelievably loud-clomp clomp bang, clomp bang thump. Doors closing were louder than usual and I could hear talk in the next room. Take earplugs. =)
Fairly easy to find off I-270, the sign is small tho. Friendly check in and out staff. I felt safe in the area too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Dear JessieNoelle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your feedback and review every guests' comments to ensure we are doing our best to make our Sleep Inn a good experience.

I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed our hotel and its amenities and services. The complimentary breakfast is very popular, and our rooms are very comfortable and clean. And, our location to Washington, DC is great for easy transportation to and from the Nation's Capital.

I'm sorry to hear that you had noise issues during your stay. We did have a large group in the hotel during your stay, and I wish we had known there was excessive noise in your area. In the future, please contact the guest services team on duty so that we can follow up with guests while you are here, so that we may improve your stay while you are still visiting us.

Thanks again for reviewing our hotel and sharing your experience with us. We hope that you will consider us again upon visiting our area again.

Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

The main reason...I will not recommend this hotel, is the fact they over-charged my credit card. What should have been a charge of - only (3) days at $85. per-nite (w/AARP), instead my card was charged.. $455.97. I say...."RUN", don't walk away from this hotel.....RUN..!

• Stayed August 2010
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Dear Catalina120743,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your input about your stay with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced billing issues at our hotel. That is never a fun issue, and I apologize if this affected your opinion of your stay. Although your other scores show there may have been other issues, I only see comments regarding this billing matter.

First and foremost, I've contacted our accounting and guest services teams and I cannot find any record of a guest with a billing issue on these amounts. So, if this is still a pending issue please contact me directly at the hotel so I can get it resolved swiftly for you. I'm not sure if this billing error was a result of a debit card charge or not. Many hotels will tell you that debit card charges and authorizations are the biggest billing challenge we face these days. If the hotel is not aware that a guest is using a debit card, any authorizations that need to be returned at the end of the stay can take a few days depending on the cardholder's banking institution. We try to reduce this time by talking with our guests to resolve these matters before checking in.

If the billing issue or any other matters are still unsettled, please let me know so I can assist. Our team works very hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable experience here. We don't want you to have billing issues, or any other issues for that matter. Also, it is always best to ask for the manager on duty should you have any issues at a hotel so the problems can be fixed quickly while you are there.

Thanks again for your input on your experience. I hope that I can be of assistance should you require additional help with resolving any outstanding matters.

New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Be careful when staying here. They charged my credit card for two rooms when I only stayed in one. When trying to deal with accounting to dispute the charges, I spoke with Joyce, who was rude and very unprofessional. I am still trying to get the charge removed 3 months later, with no luck.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Dear ryved3,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the outcome of your issue, but I think it's fair to share some of the circumstances regarding this unique situation.

Your situation was unique because you had disputed your hotel charges with your credit card company, and not our hotel. Once this process is started, the hotel has to honor the decision of the credit card company. We submitted the information they requested on your stay, and we did so promptly. The credit card company refunded your money when the dispute started, and once it was settled and determined the decision was in the hotel's favor, the credit card company then put the charges back onto your card. This is important, because it would be unlawful for us to charge your credit card in this instance. It is the responsibility of the credit card company to do this.

After this decision was made final by your credit card company, you had contacted us to have the charges reversed. Again, we explained this to you and it is our duty to follow the decision of the credit card company. We apologize that you feel our Controller was rude or unprofessional, but she never had a chance to fully explain before you had disconnected the call and hung up. We appreciate the fact that instances like this can be frustrating, and we have been working our best to resolve to your satisfaction. We are following the resolve of your credit card company.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences here. If I can be of assistance in the future please let me know and I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed here overnight to visit Washington DC. The hotel staff members (including shuttle drivers) were courteous and helpful. They gave us good tips about traveling in DC via the Metro. If we ever visit DC again, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear Earlsgroup.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are very proud of our property, and also very happy you enjoyed your stay! I am especially pleased that you found our team to be helpful with questions and suggestions. We pride ourselves on being a clean and friendly hotel, so your comments help direct us in continuing our best efforts.

Please do visit again! We know the economy has everyone being very cautious with vacations and trips, but visiting the Nation's Capital is a great family trip and staying at our Sleep Inn is a great value!

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

We stayed here four nights to use the Metro to visit DC. The service was very good, particularly Amir at the desk and Mike in the breakfast area. The free shuttle to the Metro was nice and very busy.
The hotel is located in a quiet area, but there is very little within walking distance. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Christopher_Zindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear greatmonday,

Thank you for taking the time to review and comment on the Sleep Inn Rockville! We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm especially pleased to hear that our associates did a good job in taking care of you while you were here. We pride ourselves on great service, and work hard every day to do the best for our guests! I'll be sure to share your comments with Amir and Mike.

We are conveniently located to the DC/Shady Grove Metro, and many guests like you appreciate the convenience. I noted your comments about things within walking distance, and although some things are a little farther for those that don't want to walk too much our shuttle service extends to area attractions as well as the Metro.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the neighborhood! Thanks again for your feedback and comments, we appreciate your time and efforts.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

If you're looking for accommodations close to the NIH/NNMC, finding hotels around Rockville/Shady Grove is much easier on the pocket than staying in downtown Bethesda. The Sleep Inn pretty much did the job in terms of having a comfortable place to stay at night. Nothing too fancy. There was some issues with the air-conditioner and the room smelled kind of musty. However, the staff was friendly, they accepted our RoomSaver coupon and the breakfast was more than adequate. Much quieter than I had expected it to be. If you're looking for a no-frills hotel and want a place to sleep rather than a place to vacation, this Sleep Inn will do it quite well for you!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
CZindash, General Manager at Sleep Inn Shady Grove, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Dear willworkforhotelroom (I like your code name!):

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us! We appreciate your feedback and it allows us to continue doing the good things and fix the areas of improvement.

I'm glad you found our staff pleasant, and the room to your expectations. I agree with your comments regarding lodging in the Bethesda market; it is a little easier out in the suburbs, and we are glad you find us to be a good fit for your travel to our neighborhood.

I did note your comments regarding the air conditioning in your room, and I've asked our engineering team to review this unit and service if necessary. During the summer in DC, the air conditioning runs pretty much nonstop, and sometimes the units require additional service as they get musty from running constantly. Next time please let us know when you are here so we can resolve during your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and choosing to stay with us when you traveled to our area. We do hope you will come visit us again should your trip bring you back to our neighborhood! We agree with you that we are a great little value just outside of DC!

Chris Zindash

Been to Sleep Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!