“Very nice to sleep and eat!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Rockville
Columbus, Ohio
“Very nice to sleep and eat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family and I are very picky and review and research everything including where to stay for vacation. Our trip we had planned was canceled so we had to put together another trip together in a week. We scheduled this hotel on a Saturday to arrive on Monday, so we were not sure about the quality in such a short time but it was kind of the only hotel available in such a short notice. We were surprised. The room was small and there was no bathtub and had children with us. We left the hotel at 10 and came back at 10, so we only needed it for sleeping. We had 4 adults and 3 children, it worked. But the shower was pretty big. Their shuttle to the metro was scheduled later than any other hotel although, we never used it. The breakfast was awesome! They had everything and the guy who set it up and tore it down, was awesome as well. The breakfast times were better than most hotels 6:30-9:30 and he always restocked it if food got low. They also provided us with a rollaway bed for free since we reserved the room from calling the actual hotel and not online! I highly recommend this hotel and it will probably be our go to hotel for future trips to DC!

Room Tip: Room was small, but we were satisfied because we only slept there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I used a coupon from the green “Hotel Discounts” booklet from the Interstate and the rate was a good bit below the rates in Rockville/Gaithersburg for the trendier 3-star hotels. This is 2-star of course. Room is “cookie-cutter” Sleep Inn basic but did have a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The room itself was clean but the halls and stairwells were beat up, stained carpet and just “tired”. Flat-screen TV’s but no HD channels to take advantage of it. Many windows were clouded; had lost their seal. On the plus side: friendly front desk. Bath amenities even included a lotion. This is adjacent to a Crowne Plaza in case you want to walk to dinner; but plenty of other restaurants are in easy driving distance. Wireless High Speed Internet was surprisingly fast; 4.30 Mbps both upload and download per Speedtest.net. HVAC worked fine but a quick check of the unit showed it was pretty clogged with dust; sadly I find this to be a common occurrence at hotels both cheap and expensive. I had to leave before the complimentary breakfast started at 6:30 AM but as I was leaving I saw they had the basics; cereals, waffle maker, yogurts, bread and juice.. For value received I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel has is what I've always been looking for - very low prices and a great location, yet never compromising on a clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay. The room was very clean and well appointed, and the air conditioner worked better than any hotel I've ever stayed at, even better than five-star NYC hotels' A/Cs. It actually cooled the room down to 60 degrees when I set it to that degree number. The bed was awesomely comfortable, and the shower better than any other hotel with good water pressure and WaterPik showerhead. The breakfast bar was superb, with coffees, cereal, oatmeal and more, and the staff (especially Jade at the front desk and the breakfast bar folks) were very friendly. The shuttle from the Metro was key to my selecting this hotel as well, and it runs early in the morning and late at night. Plus, the wi-fi worked exceptionally well. I would love to stay here again and would be recommending this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Washington, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I decided to stay at this hotel even though I did note some complaints about Internet access. I guess I took them at their word that the situation was temporary. However, now my gut feeling is that the hotel chain just takes providing this service far too lightly. I got the same story that the other reviewer received. That's a shame. If you want a fairly clean comfortable hotel in a safe area ... this will do. But, if you have work to do ... forget about it! They're simply NOT catering to the business traveler. If they ever mend their ways, then I'd consider coming back. I'd want some kind of proof though. As a result of all this, I had a very bad business trip where I was unprepared and unnecessarily stressed out. I'm doing my best not to grump out about this, but this business let me down when it involved my livelihood. That's unforgivable and the reason for this scathing review. So there. At least I feel better and can move on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked our 2 night stay here months in advance using the Choice Hotels website. The Google reviews made it seem okay.

We got in late since our flight was late. By the time we got here, it was about 12:30am. The front doors were locked, but thankfully there were people in the lobby to let us in. We got our room keys, went out to the car to get our things, then back to our room. And the door wouldn't open. Neither key worked. They would flash yellow & red, but not open. I went back down to the front counter to let the guy know, and he seemed confused why that would be. He gave me new keys and I tried them again. No go. This time my husband went down, and the front desk guy ended up changing our room to a 1st floor room, and he even checked the key. This time it worked (well 1 key worked). We ended up getting 2 working keys the next morning when someone else was on duty.

Now issues with the room. In order to shut the door, we had to slam it. Pushing it closed didn't work because it was too tight of a fix. We were both thirsty, and figured when we went to go get ice we would stop at the vending machine to get water. The vending machine was broken. So my husband went out to a gas station down the street to get us water.

We had a queen sized room, that was TINY. There wasn't any room to put both our suitcases, so my husbands went on the floor. The queen sized bed was okay, but the pillows sucked. Even using 2, it didn't give us any support. The bathroom was okay, and the shower was nice and big.

The next morning we got up to have the free breakfast that Choice Hotels does. It was about 9am, and the room for breakfast was packed. If you have stayed at a Choice Hotel you know that their key breakfast item is fresh waffles. The big problem here is that there was only one waffle maker. This meant waiting 10+ minutes in line to get to make yours since each waffle takes 2.5 minutes. I had one the first morning, but skipped it the second since there were too many people and I didn't want to wait. Also avoid the hard-boiled eggs. The worker was bringing them out, and they were floating in a neon green/yellow water. Gross!

We were splitting our vacation between Washington DC and Williamsburg, and will not be coming back here for the second part of our trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Awesome experience. Nice pool, awesome staff. Attentive breakfast staff. Really liked the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012
Rockville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Located within two minutes of Shady Grove Road and I-270. (Two hotels' driveways are close together - watch carefully.)

Got a nice rate for an overnight stay at the last minute by calling the helpful front desk. The clean room came nicely equipped with HDTV -- maybe 40 channels (no HBO or similar, but we didn't want it), Coffee Maker, Hair Dryer, Fridge, Good-sized shower, Good set of toiletries, lots of helpful tourist brochures in the lobby ... Most people would find the bed comfortable, some a little stiff.

The room is equipped to douse the A/C when motion sensors indicate everyone has left. When you come back, the A/C does not restart instantly. We fiddle with it for about a minute each time, but maybe if we'd left it alone long enough ... who knows? In this particular room, room temperature was higher than the digital reading from the wall mounted A/C: By lowering it's setting to 67-69 (something we never do at home in the summertime) the temperature fell enough to let us sleep under a sheet. The A/C had three fan settings: Auto, low, and high. Unexpectedly, Low & High neither changed the fan speed, nor caused the fan to run continuously for white noise. The fridge ran 90% of the time, and it was located near the A/C, so we kinda had they w.n. anyhow. :)

Hot breakfast potions consisted of delicious Belgium Waffles and medium sized sausage links. The waffles had a pleasant buttery sense, we've not encountered at other places. The breakfast area was being actively managed by a fellow I first mistook for hotel management, in this generously sized dining area with many other morning meal options. He took his job seriously, keeping things fully stocked, and making sure users sprayed the waffle iron between servings. I had some non-fat milk that had a slight spoiled taste and wondered if it had been replaced since possibly recovering form a recent power outage affecting the general area, or whether the container had been thoroughly washed from the night before. While the hotel's policy wouldn't allow that, the flavor "hint" was there this particular time. I'd go by other reviews to determine if my experience was a total exception.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!