“Reasonably Good Hotel, But Still No Internet Access” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Reasonably Good Hotel, But Still No Internet Access”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I decided to stay at this hotel even though I did note some complaints about Internet access. I guess I took them at their word that the situation was temporary. However, now my gut feeling is that the hotel chain just takes providing this service far too lightly. I got the same story that the other reviewer received. That's a shame. If you want a fairly clean comfortable hotel in a safe area ... this will do. But, if you have work to do ... forget about it! They're simply NOT catering to the business traveler. If they ever mend their ways, then I'd consider coming back. I'd want some kind of proof though. As a result of all this, I had a very bad business trip where I was unprepared and unnecessarily stressed out. I'm doing my best not to grump out about this, but this business let me down when it involved my livelihood. That's unforgivable and the reason for this scathing review. So there. At least I feel better and can move on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked our 2 night stay here months in advance using the Choice Hotels website. The Google reviews made it seem okay.

We got in late since our flight was late. By the time we got here, it was about 12:30am. The front doors were locked, but thankfully there were people in the lobby to let us in. We got our room keys, went out to the car to get our things, then back to our room. And the door wouldn't open. Neither key worked. They would flash yellow & red, but not open. I went back down to the front counter to let the guy know, and he seemed confused why that would be. He gave me new keys and I tried them again. No go. This time my husband went down, and the front desk guy ended up changing our room to a 1st floor room, and he even checked the key. This time it worked (well 1 key worked). We ended up getting 2 working keys the next morning when someone else was on duty.

Now issues with the room. In order to shut the door, we had to slam it. Pushing it closed didn't work because it was too tight of a fix. We were both thirsty, and figured when we went to go get ice we would stop at the vending machine to get water. The vending machine was broken. So my husband went out to a gas station down the street to get us water.

We had a queen sized room, that was TINY. There wasn't any room to put both our suitcases, so my husbands went on the floor. The queen sized bed was okay, but the pillows sucked. Even using 2, it didn't give us any support. The bathroom was okay, and the shower was nice and big.

The next morning we got up to have the free breakfast that Choice Hotels does. It was about 9am, and the room for breakfast was packed. If you have stayed at a Choice Hotel you know that their key breakfast item is fresh waffles. The big problem here is that there was only one waffle maker. This meant waiting 10+ minutes in line to get to make yours since each waffle takes 2.5 minutes. I had one the first morning, but skipped it the second since there were too many people and I didn't want to wait. Also avoid the hard-boiled eggs. The worker was bringing them out, and they were floating in a neon green/yellow water. Gross!

We were splitting our vacation between Washington DC and Williamsburg, and will not be coming back here for the second part of our trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Awesome experience. Nice pool, awesome staff. Attentive breakfast staff. Really liked the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012
Rockville, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Located within two minutes of Shady Grove Road and I-270. (Two hotels' driveways are close together - watch carefully.)

Got a nice rate for an overnight stay at the last minute by calling the helpful front desk. The clean room came nicely equipped with HDTV -- maybe 40 channels (no HBO or similar, but we didn't want it), Coffee Maker, Hair Dryer, Fridge, Good-sized shower, Good set of toiletries, lots of helpful tourist brochures in the lobby ... Most people would find the bed comfortable, some a little stiff.

The room is equipped to douse the A/C when motion sensors indicate everyone has left. When you come back, the A/C does not restart instantly. We fiddle with it for about a minute each time, but maybe if we'd left it alone long enough ... who knows? In this particular room, room temperature was higher than the digital reading from the wall mounted A/C: By lowering it's setting to 67-69 (something we never do at home in the summertime) the temperature fell enough to let us sleep under a sheet. The A/C had three fan settings: Auto, low, and high. Unexpectedly, Low & High neither changed the fan speed, nor caused the fan to run continuously for white noise. The fridge ran 90% of the time, and it was located near the A/C, so we kinda had they w.n. anyhow. :)

Hot breakfast potions consisted of delicious Belgium Waffles and medium sized sausage links. The waffles had a pleasant buttery sense, we've not encountered at other places. The breakfast area was being actively managed by a fellow I first mistook for hotel management, in this generously sized dining area with many other morning meal options. He took his job seriously, keeping things fully stocked, and making sure users sprayed the waffle iron between servings. I had some non-fat milk that had a slight spoiled taste and wondered if it had been replaced since possibly recovering form a recent power outage affecting the general area, or whether the container had been thoroughly washed from the night before. While the hotel's policy wouldn't allow that, the flavor "hint" was there this particular time. I'd go by other reviews to determine if my experience was a total exception.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bagram, Afghanistan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Like some of the other reviews state, this is a reasonably priced, pet-friendly hotel. The rooms aren't immaculate, but with dogs we were in a smoking room, so lingering cigarette smells remained. Good price. SLOW elevator service, and the stairwell AC isn't used, so the stairwells are hot and humid. LOTs of trouble w/ room keys, which rarely work on side stairwell doors. free WIFI, fridge in room, room service from the Crowne Plaza across the parking lot is available.

Room Tip: Request non-smoking rooms...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Fairview, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Arrived later than expected, but hotel was ready for us. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good with pastrys, toast/bagels, cold hard boiled eggs and waffle maker, yogurt. Had a shuttle to Shady Grove metro station that came in handy. Shuttle also took us to local restaurants within a mile or 2 radius of the hotel. This hotel has decent rates. Overall, a good hotel to stay at if you are visiting the DC area. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Not the brightest desk clerk I have ever met (caused much confusion over my credit card payment by telling me I'd been charged twice - which I hadn't).
Comfortable bed, peaceful neighbourhood, good breakfast and a free shuttle to and from the metro station.
Ideal for visiting Washington DC.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn Shady Grove? Share your experiences!