“don't stay unless you must” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16001 Shady Grove Road, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
“don't stay unless you must”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

This is a basic room. They charge 10.50 for one night of internet.
There is no hair dryer, no iron, and the bathroom is in great need of updating. There's also no breakfast! We simply wanted a room near DC but this is very basic. There are no restaurants around either!!! Don't think I would stay there again.

• Liked — Nothing to like
  • Disliked — The icy parking lot....we almost killed ourselves getting to the car.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

The room was clean, the staff were freindly. We took the train to DC and the shuttle to the station was timely both for drop off and pick up. We asked for extra towels and they showed up promptly also. I have to say its a very well run establishment that met all my expectations. Thumbs up here people

• Liked — I was very impressed by the staffs eagerness to please
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

A simple hotel that is located within 2-3 minutes of the Metro Station depending on traffic at the time. It is a very busy area, but the hotel sits back from the road, so noise is not a problem. The hotel was a good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My husband and I spent two nights in the Red Roof. It is what economy lodging should be. There were no extras--no iron, no hair drier, no coffee pot, no cute little bottles of toiletries. But everything was neat and clean. The bed was comfortable, the shower hot. The people at the desk were pleasant and efficient. The location is in a commercial area and there is some road noise during the morning rush. But accommodations near Washington are very expensive. This motel is only a short drive from the Shady Grove metro stop. If you need a safe, simple place to sleep and you are on a budget, this is a sensible choice.

Stayed May 2006
So CAL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

The price was good, but in retrospect we should probably have paid more for a nicer place. There were several people "hanging out" around their room doors when we arrived, which initially put us off, but we took all valuables with us when leaving for the day. Our room offered the bare minimum--no hairdryer, no iron, no coffeemaker, small rough towels, and the room certainly could have been cleaner--the tiny table was sticky in one spot, and we found trash on the carpet in the corners. The ice machine was not working one night--twice we called the front desk to inquire, and twice were assured we would receive a callback, but no one ever returned our call to update us. There is a nice shopping center about a mile or so away, with lots of inexpensive places to eat, and a Safeway market. Overall we did not feel very comfortable here, but it was adequate for the price. I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006
Dayton Beach, Fla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

Good place for a short-term Montgomery County visit.
Request newer (upper level)section.. much nicer than older part. Staff friendly and helpful. Close to 270 and convenient to most county attractions. Clean and fairly spacious rooms.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Southwest MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

I was pleasantly surprised during my stay, especially for the price. I was in Rockville for training and I paid only half what others who were also staying in the area were paying. Plus, when I got there, the price per night had decreased since the time that I booked the room. They informed me of this and gave me the lower price automatically. Yes, the doors to the rooms are on the outside. I wasn't fond of this idea initially. However, the hotel was so clean and the staff was so friendly that this little inconvenience was quickly forgotten. It has its own private drive and is surrounded by trees. This helps to make it more attractive than it would otherwise probably be. But this place has been taken care of. For an older place, it has held together well. The lobby was clean and nice as well. The rooms were on the small side, but what do you expect? There is no breakfast served, but you can get coffee. There is a shuttle to the subway station (Shady Grove) that leaves at 7, 8, and 9 a.m. every Mon-Thu morning. Even though it wasn't scheduled, the driver took people on Fri as well. (Weekends are out, though.) Cab fare from the hotel to the metro station was $8.40 for two people. We walked to the metro most of the time. This took 30 minutes, but the walk was well-lit and safe. We had no problems. The staff was very attentive to our needs and refused tips when offered. There is a Burger King and some other restaurants across the street. I went to Pho Nam and, whereas the soup was good, it was a cash only place and you can't get a receipt. Anyway, I enjoyed my stay and I would definitely stay there again!

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!