“Only if you do not care” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16001 Shady Grove Road, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
texas
“Only if you do not care”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

This is a basic ripoff hotel,it looks nice but the service is questionable. First they do not accept Travlers Checks. Second there is rate discount if you pay the full week, but they do not tell you this information. Internet is $3.00/2 hours of use. The shuttle is spotty.
You need to be a very seasoned traveller,who just needs a place to stay. It is als 1 hour outside of DC by bus and than a Mtero train or $10..00 from the hotel tothe train/hotel.
If you are a non US ctizen they will prey upon you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

They charged heavily for internet usage.

Though the room was comfortable with a small refrigerator and oven. Overall it was satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
rampant75
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I've stayed here before. The rooms look clean, and the people are nice. And if not for my most recent stay would recomend this place as a "nice for the price" hotel. But I am up typing this review because I can't sleep right now. (It's 4 am). And I can't sleep right now because of the over 200 itchy bed bug bites I got there. It's almost a week later and they're still itching. I'm jumping out of bed every time I have an itch because I think the bed bugs are getting me again. They have assured me that they are taking care of the problem, but I would hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — A mostly comfortable room
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

The Red Roof Inn is what you pay for. It's not fancy. The rooms seem clean and there's new furniture. WiFi is now free with a special day pass they give you at the front desk on T Mobile. They give you one daily. The rooms have a tiny refrigerator and microwave but no shampoo. The towel are a bit hard. The location is right across a Burger King but for reaching the highway and nearby meeting places, the location is right on. I can definitely hear the activity outside, though. I'm on the street level and it feels really loud.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — The noise.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
columbus, oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

One of the cheapest hotel options around DC, but you get much less than you pay for. It's a motel. The beds are nasty and uncomfortable. Bathroom floor was peeling away. They do not provide anything except for some soap and a ketsup size sampler of tasty shampoo. TV with some cable stations and at least one movie station.

Pretty much, a rip off cheap motel. It is convenient to DC though. We drove into DC the next morning during rush hour, and the traffic was very tolerable, which was surprising.

• Liked — location on outskirts of DC
  • Disliked — Gross bathroom and beds, no amenities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Really wonderful!

The staff was very nice and not only is there free wifi in the king rooms, they were kind enough to give us an additional 24-hour account so both my husband and I could work with our laptops.

The wifi was screaming fast - perfect for what we were doing - which was a quick, cheap stopping point with a DOG.

A quick search of nearby hotels showed no other places who had clean, new rooms, in-room wifi and allowed dogs - all for the $89.99 base price (most places added $$ for wifi AND dog)

Our room 335 also had a fridge and a microwave.

Red Roof is totally a motel/bare bones - there's nothing within a comfortable walking distance, including the metro - but if you have a car, and need a hassle-free oasis, this is the place!

• Liked — Price was very very low for the excellent room, dog friendly and wifi
  • Disliked — all the king rooms are on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Rockville, Maryland - you would suppose that a major chain like Red Roof would be operating a nicer hotel than the Red Roof we stayed at.

I knew we were in trouble when at 9:15 PM you had to hit a buzzer to get into the lobby.

I knew I was in trouble when the desk clerk looked like a Columbian drug lord from a Tom Clancey movie.

I knew I was in trouble when the night 'maid' was a guy standing in the lobby talking to the desk clerk in a language that was not English.

I knew I was in trouble when the room we were given had never been cleaned or had the beds made during the day and the blankets and pillows were piled on the bed.

I felt better when the desk clerk said we could have another room just down the walk and we did not have to carry our stuff a long way.

I felt better when I got into the room and it smelled fresh and clean and freshly painted.

I knew I was in trouble when there were no trash cans, the towels were paper thin, there was no shampoo, but two tiny bars of soap.

I knew I was in trouble when some drunk managed to open our room door even though it was shut ... the automatic locking device on the handle didn't work. The deadbolt did, but that was of limited comfort.

No breakfast - just machine made coffee. NO free internet. Beat to death TV with 11 channels. Limited parking.

At least it was quiet and we slept well. Did I mention that the bathroom was designed for someone no bigger than Twiggy...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — How cheesy Red Roof had become
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!