“Red Roof in Rockville - Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16001 Shady Grove Road, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Maryland
“Red Roof in Rockville - Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Really wonderful!

The staff was very nice and not only is there free wifi in the king rooms, they were kind enough to give us an additional 24-hour account so both my husband and I could work with our laptops.

The wifi was screaming fast - perfect for what we were doing - which was a quick, cheap stopping point with a DOG.

A quick search of nearby hotels showed no other places who had clean, new rooms, in-room wifi and allowed dogs - all for the $89.99 base price (most places added $$ for wifi AND dog)

Our room 335 also had a fridge and a microwave.

Red Roof is totally a motel/bare bones - there's nothing within a comfortable walking distance, including the metro - but if you have a car, and need a hassle-free oasis, this is the place!

• Liked — Price was very very low for the excellent room, dog friendly and wifi
  • Disliked — all the king rooms are on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

Rockville, Maryland - you would suppose that a major chain like Red Roof would be operating a nicer hotel than the Red Roof we stayed at.

I knew we were in trouble when at 9:15 PM you had to hit a buzzer to get into the lobby.

I knew I was in trouble when the desk clerk looked like a Columbian drug lord from a Tom Clancey movie.

I knew I was in trouble when the night 'maid' was a guy standing in the lobby talking to the desk clerk in a language that was not English.

I knew I was in trouble when the room we were given had never been cleaned or had the beds made during the day and the blankets and pillows were piled on the bed.

I felt better when the desk clerk said we could have another room just down the walk and we did not have to carry our stuff a long way.

I felt better when I got into the room and it smelled fresh and clean and freshly painted.

I knew I was in trouble when there were no trash cans, the towels were paper thin, there was no shampoo, but two tiny bars of soap.

I knew I was in trouble when some drunk managed to open our room door even though it was shut ... the automatic locking device on the handle didn't work. The deadbolt did, but that was of limited comfort.

No breakfast - just machine made coffee. NO free internet. Beat to death TV with 11 channels. Limited parking.

At least it was quiet and we slept well. Did I mention that the bathroom was designed for someone no bigger than Twiggy...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — How cheesy Red Roof had become
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rural Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

The room is pretty good for the price. The bed was very comfortable :o) The hotel does offer a free shuttle service to the metro station from 7 to 9 am, which runs on the hour. The morning shuttle is reliable. If you show up in the lobby on the hour (7, 8, 9) you will get to the metro station. They also offer a shuttle service from 7 to 9 pm, where they will pick you up at the metro and bring you back to the hotel. This shuttle runs whenever you need it between 7 and 9 - you just have to call. Be warned though - you could be waiting up to 40 minutes at the metro station for the shuttle to show up. I even had to make multiple phone calls to the hotel to make sure that they were even coming!

The metro station is only about 3/4 of a mile away from the hotel, so you could walk. A typical cab fare to the hotel would be about $8 for 2 people. I don't suggest walking to the hotel if you spent the day walking through DC.

Overall, it's not a terrible hotel considering the price range. It's a short (15 to 20 minute) metro ride into downtown DC and the zoo and other attractions are a little closer. If you can afford to stay somewhere else, I would...

Stayed July 2007
St. Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2007

My new college graduate accepted a job in Rockville, so we needed a place to stay while we looked for an apartment for him. We stayed at this property May 21-22. At $99 per night, this is about the best you will do price-wise for the Rockville area. We found the Red Roof to be clean and fairly quiet. There is no breakfast, although a coffee/hot chocolate machine is free of charge in the lobby. Internet service is provided in the room for an additional charge per night. There are numerous places to eat in the immediate area, and it is a short drive to the Metro Station. If you plan to take the Metro into D.C., arrive at the parking lot early as all the lots were full when we got there around 11:00 a.m. We ended up driving into Arlington. The weekend may not be as bad for parking. I would stay at this property again if the need arose. Fortunately, I can now mooch off of my son when I go there to visit :)

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — No free internet
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

We chose this hotel because #1 it was close to the last Metro station on the red line, and #2 because we've visited other renovated Red Roof Inns and found they were a good value.

(We wanted to take the Metro into Washington, and didn't want the hassle of driving and parking near the monuments. It was about a half hour Metro ride to the White House).

This hotel is fine for an overnight stay. Wouldn't want to spend a week there.

Check-in was pretty quick, considering there were many people checking in at the same time.

Room was fine - pretty standard, but clean.

Staff were helpful at check-out, and gave us printed instructions on how to reach the Metro station. (Tip: parking at the Metro station is free on weekends!).

We paid $84.09 (CAD) and got what we paid for. Nothing fancy ... just a decent hotel.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

This is a basic room. They charge 10.50 for one night of internet.
There is no hair dryer, no iron, and the bathroom is in great need of updating. There's also no breakfast! We simply wanted a room near DC but this is very basic. There are no restaurants around either!!! Don't think I would stay there again.

• Liked — Nothing to like
  • Disliked — The icy parking lot....we almost killed ourselves getting to the car.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hamilton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

The room was clean, the staff were freindly. We took the train to DC and the shuttle to the station was timely both for drop off and pick up. We asked for extra towels and they showed up promptly also. I have to say its a very well run establishment that met all my expectations. Thumbs up here people

• Liked — I was very impressed by the staffs eagerness to please
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!