“Stay away or wear a surgical mask” 2 of 5 stars

Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16001 Shady Grove Road, Rockville, MD 20850   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
Barboursville
“Stay away or wear a surgical mask”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I understand that Red Roof is an "economy" type hotel, but some standards should be maintained in any hotel chain. I was very tired the day of my arrival and did not notice the mold growing on the ceiling when I checked into my room, all I wanted to do was to lay down and get some sleep. After trying to sleep for about 4 hours with interruptions, I just got up. I felt as though the housekeeping staff showed no respect for the "DND" hanging on my door as they rolled laundry baskets and whatever else up and down the sidewalk in front of my room, and my room was nowhere near their laundry facility. After waking up and turning the lights on is when I noticed the mold growing on the ceiling. The dark area's in the pictures are where the mold is growing black under the paint. It is not a BAD paint job. I stayed only one night after seeing this, although I book for a week stay because of work.
My suggestion, unless you do not care about your health, is to stay away from this hotel OR check your room well before accepting the room. I wish I was seeing straight (exhaustion) when I checked in. I would have never accepted this room.

Room Tip: I have no tip for selecting a good room. The best tip is to choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RedRoofInnRockville, Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you so much for addressing your concerns. We had our team report any rooms that had dark ceilings. We did find a couple-but also discovered that what you thought was mold was actually worn paint/not mold-worn paint is just as unacceptable as mold. Your perception is very important to us and in the end, that is all that matters. We sincerely appologize for not meeting your expections-and hope that you give us another opportunity to make it right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Oakland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I arrived frazzled an well after dark because I don't do cities or the dark very well, and I got lost on the way to the motel (my own fault). After checking in, I managed to lock my motel key AND my car keys in my car. Long story short, Luis (the front desk clerk that night) was nothing short of a knight in shining armor--he went well out of his way to assist me and then phoned my room later from the front desk to see that I was all right.

The physical structure is aging, but things are cleanand in good repair . This motel is good value for the money and staff such as Luis make the difference between good and excellent! I will stay at this location again without and doubt and recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you so much for letting us know that a team member went out of the way to help you. Luis is an asset to our team. Thank You
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Bugs everywhere. Pay by the hour motel. Thin cot-like mattress. No breakfast options. Checked in and out as soon as I looked under the mattress and found dead bugs. Probably bedbugs. The room was also crawling with stinkbugs.

• Stayed October 2011
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I'm pretty savvy and reasonable as far as accepting what I pay for, but this stay has inspired me to warn others, like me, that this is not a place you'll be happy or even able to compromise with. And do not think this is in DC, it is off of the Shady Grove stop, 30 min away by Metro, and about an hour or more driving. The Good (because I don't want to just complain) It's cheap, $45/night through priceline, about a mile from Shady Grove Metro stop, and the staff did accommodate me when I asked to be moved.... but it was still an awful room. The Bad: This should NOT be a 2 star hotel; 1 and a half stars is generous. A Red Roof Inn manager should strip them of the corporate name because they have let this place go to crap without standards. I second everything 'His Princess' mentioned and wish I saw the review before I booked on Oct 6, 2011, the date the review was written. I am a business traveler who relies on internet, and cell phone/data service, both of which were non-existent in my room(s), along with no iron, no hair dryer, a broken remote control, and 1 towel. I'm actually writing this from Burger King across the street now, where I'm ingesting fast food like crazy just to get some emails done. There was serious water damage: mold/mildew made me sick, switched rooms and it was the same story. I checked in and housekeeping was still cleaning.... I sat there and watched her NOT change the sheets from the previous guest, and come to think of it did not see any carts with sheets at all. And the 1 towel I got had a huge wad of someones hair still in it. If that isn't enough of a put off, the area was crawling with prostitutes so... yeah. In the end I was locked in because I went through Priceline (who will be getting my two cents shortly). I ended up buying sheets, an iron, a hair dryer, and a towel for my stay, eventually like 'Marlene' mentioned costing me what I would have paid for a better option in the area. To the Ladies: As a single female traveler, I was afraid to leave my room and walk to the car. This is coming from someone who is not paranoid and has lived in some pretty sketchy places before without a problem. There was no lighting in the parking lot, along with lurking contractors, prostitutes who came out at night, and no cell phone service to call for help should there be a problem.

Room Tip: Do Not Book through Priceline!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RedRoofInnRockville, Manager at Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Dear Guest...We do apologize for all of you concerns. In order to better address them, we would appreciate a phone call. Please call us at 301-987-0965-at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much for your feedback! Shirley and Claudia.
Euclid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I was in the area for business and had a great experience with the staff. The room was clean and the staff gave great suggestions on places to eat and things to see. The rate was great considering how expensive hotels are the Washington, D.C. area. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

The room was clean and Miguel Diaz was very helpful to me .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Princeton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed recently and was really impressed with the level of customer service and quality I recieved. I had been traveling for hours and traffic was horrible, I was so tired and cranky and ready for some relaxation. After arriving at the hotel, I walked into the lobby and was pleasantly greeted by the representative that was there. I was checked in very quickly and needed some information on food delivery and some directions for my meeting the next morning. The representative recommended a food delivery service and gave me a menu, also gave me very detailed directions and did everything with a smile. I got to my room and was so happy to see I had a nice, clean and cozy room waiting for me. I have been to many other places that were so unacceptable that it was wonderful to not have to call the front desk and complain or have my room changed. The food recommended was good and I got a good nights rest. The next morning I recieved the same EXCELLENT customer service experience as I did the night before and got a great cup of coffee to top it off. It's hard to find good customer service these days or a nice clean room at an affordable price. This Red Roof Inn has my business for now on. I would recommend this hotel to family, friends or anyone looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Plus+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!