“Friendly and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Friendly and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a great visit. The staff was very helpful and courteous. The rooms were clean and the location was very quiet. Enjoyed the bistro. Very good location in relation to hospital and rehab center. Enjoyed the stay!!!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Our room was next to the pool and initially we were concerned we would hear noise or feel the humidity from the pool. That was not the caseI It was very quiet and comfortable.We did not feel like going out at dinner time and there was a small marketplace restaurant in the lobby. The children had a wonderful time in the pool. My only complaint is that we had to request shampoo and conditioner and there were not enough towels in our room...not a major problem at all. We had several friends staying at the hotel and we had a wonderful time using the space in the lobby for talking and cards etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Not a top class luxury hotel, but still reliable nonetheless. The beds are very comfy, the shower is powerful and the breakfasts are tasty - the three most important things for me in a business hotel. In addition the reception staff are always friendly and helpful. I only wish they would provide shower gel and not the typical USA soap bar....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a very modern looking Courtyard. While I read some of the negative reviews, I experienced none of the issues they did. The staff was extremely friendly and ready to help. The rooms were clean. I didn't use it, but the indoor pool was large and looked inviting. While the hotel is located close to I-270 it is on the North Side of Rockville. Everytime I had to go somewhere (to work, to eat), I had to get on the interstate. Also you are the furthest you can be from D.C. and still be in Rockville (maybe you see that as a good thing).

Room Tip: If you are staying during nice weather, request a 2nd floor room that overlooks the courtyard so you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Stamford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and I had the opportunity to stay at the Rockville, MD Marriott Courtyard 3/2013. It has been a few years since staying in a Courtyard, but I always remembered them as being solid hotels with decent service. Courtyards will never be 4 or 5 star, but they should all be around 3 starts. This one ranks a two.

We arrived around 2pm in the afternoon. I had to wait for 10 minutes while the two gentlemen in front of me checked in while continually flirting with the desk clerk. After 5 hours in the car with my family driving through snow and rain, all I wanted was a quick check-in. There was a small issue during check in as we used our Friends and Family Rate and couldn't find the form. We were told they would up the price to the regular rate until we found the form. No problem! 15 minutes later, they had the form. However, they had already put a $400+ hold on our checking account based on the regular rate. They said they would knock that bank hold down to the $180 based on the Friends/Family rate. Did that ever happen? No. In fact, as I write this, the $400 bank hold is STILL on my account.

The room itself was decent. The air/heat worked very well with the thermostat on the wall instead of on the unit itself. Decent flat screen tv, though the ability to pull up a menu to select a channel would be nice considering we are in the 21 century. The room was clean, beds made well, and was in decent condition. The only negative in the bathroom was that the shower head/tub selector didn't work properly. Water came out of the shower head and tub spout at the same time which made for an interesting shower experience.

The biggest letdown of all for this hotel were the pool hours. Guests could not swim until after 5pm. Why? Because they rent the pool to a local swim lesson school. There is nothing worse than getting your 3 and 7 year old boys all ready for swimming, walking to the pool, and seeing that at 3pm, we couldn't swim and had to wait two hours. On top of that, when we DID use the pool at 5pm, the lessons continued until 6PM!!! What is the point in having a pool for hotel guests when the guests can't even enjoy it. Besides the location, we chose this Courtyard because it had a pool and we knew our boys could burn off some energy swimming. We even called before booking to make sure the pool was open! Did they tell us the hours or that it would be used by a swim school? No. (on a bright note, it looked like an EXCELLENT swim school. They had great instructors and were very accommodating when we were in the pool).

The area around the hotel is pretty boring. Nothing really of note to walk to unless you are working in one of the surrounding buildings. The Rio center (shops/restaurants/mall) is about a 10 minute ride. Time to the Smithsonian at 1000am on a weekday was about 40 minutes.

All-in-all, if you have to be at a business that surrounds this hotel, you should stay there. If not, you will be better off staying near the Rio Center up the road.

Room Tip: It seems that elevators are in limited supply. Ask for a first floor if you have issues moving aroun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

OK, just so we're clear up front: I happen to like Marriotts. They maintain standards of service and cleanliness, and if there's one close to where I need to be, I will find a way to stay there. This one was no different: clean rooms, friendly staff, convenient location. So what could have possibly wrong?

A couple of months ago, we stayed at one in New Jersey. All seemed fine, until we saw the bill: it included a restaurant charge that we didn't quite recall making. Sure, we stayed up a little late at the hotel bistro/bar talking with family, and it was conceivable that we put a charge on our room. We wrote it off, thinking: OK, we probably paid for a small round of drinks with the cousins.

So fast forward to yesterday, and this particular Marriott. Again, friendly staff, clean rooms, met expectations. Had some drinks with our grown-up children before heading for our respective rooms. The next day, an examination of the bill revealed a restaurant charge to the room. This time, we *knew* we had paid cash. I brought it up to the front desk, and the clerk looked into the matter, and advised that she would need to consult with the manager. I said "Fine - but I need to leave within the hour; please resolve this before then."

The charge got rightfully removed, but my suspicious mind started clicking. Did we stumble on:

1. An honest mistake?
2. A deliberate action by some other guest who used our room number? (but I thought staff was supposed to check room number against guest name)
3. An ongoing scam by unscrupulous staff to chisel just a little more from a guest who is obviously on a business expense account?

I truly do not know. But this is something for which we will be watching out from here on. At a Marriott, no less. Truly disturbing. I wonder if I should reassess my patronage of this chain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Audubon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stay at Marriott properties or Hilton depending on the location, need and other factors. both chains seem to be consistent and I usually have no issues. Not this time! This hotel was/ is under construction so all my profile preferences were not available. I booked directly with this hotel and was never made aware. I was placed on the ground floor and was felt like a basement floor in an old apartment building. Lighting was dim, along with the carpet and wallpaper. The lobby was updated but the rooms were not. After I checked in I went down the street and there was a new Marriott property and a new Hilton property. That’s my new spot and the pricing is the same. also the new properties are next to a shopping center with a Starbucks, supermarket, restaurants and more.

Workout equipment was in two seperate small roooms and not upto date. In a dim and remote location.
Not coming back to this hotel location.

Room Tip: go down the street to the other chain or other marriott property
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Rockville? Share your experiences!