“Nothing more than Average” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Rockville
Stamford, Connecticut
“Nothing more than Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family and I had the opportunity to stay at the Rockville, MD Marriott Courtyard 3/2013. It has been a few years since staying in a Courtyard, but I always remembered them as being solid hotels with decent service. Courtyards will never be 4 or 5 star, but they should all be around 3 starts. This one ranks a two.

We arrived around 2pm in the afternoon. I had to wait for 10 minutes while the two gentlemen in front of me checked in while continually flirting with the desk clerk. After 5 hours in the car with my family driving through snow and rain, all I wanted was a quick check-in. There was a small issue during check in as we used our Friends and Family Rate and couldn't find the form. We were told they would up the price to the regular rate until we found the form. No problem! 15 minutes later, they had the form. However, they had already put a $400+ hold on our checking account based on the regular rate. They said they would knock that bank hold down to the $180 based on the Friends/Family rate. Did that ever happen? No. In fact, as I write this, the $400 bank hold is STILL on my account.

The room itself was decent. The air/heat worked very well with the thermostat on the wall instead of on the unit itself. Decent flat screen tv, though the ability to pull up a menu to select a channel would be nice considering we are in the 21 century. The room was clean, beds made well, and was in decent condition. The only negative in the bathroom was that the shower head/tub selector didn't work properly. Water came out of the shower head and tub spout at the same time which made for an interesting shower experience.

The biggest letdown of all for this hotel were the pool hours. Guests could not swim until after 5pm. Why? Because they rent the pool to a local swim lesson school. There is nothing worse than getting your 3 and 7 year old boys all ready for swimming, walking to the pool, and seeing that at 3pm, we couldn't swim and had to wait two hours. On top of that, when we DID use the pool at 5pm, the lessons continued until 6PM!!! What is the point in having a pool for hotel guests when the guests can't even enjoy it. Besides the location, we chose this Courtyard because it had a pool and we knew our boys could burn off some energy swimming. We even called before booking to make sure the pool was open! Did they tell us the hours or that it would be used by a swim school? No. (on a bright note, it looked like an EXCELLENT swim school. They had great instructors and were very accommodating when we were in the pool).

The area around the hotel is pretty boring. Nothing really of note to walk to unless you are working in one of the surrounding buildings. The Rio center (shops/restaurants/mall) is about a 10 minute ride. Time to the Smithsonian at 1000am on a weekday was about 40 minutes.

All-in-all, if you have to be at a business that surrounds this hotel, you should stay there. If not, you will be better off staying near the Rio Center up the road.

Room Tip: It seems that elevators are in limited supply. Ask for a first floor if you have issues moving aroun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lynchburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

OK, just so we're clear up front: I happen to like Marriotts. They maintain standards of service and cleanliness, and if there's one close to where I need to be, I will find a way to stay there. This one was no different: clean rooms, friendly staff, convenient location. So what could have possibly wrong?

A couple of months ago, we stayed at one in New Jersey. All seemed fine, until we saw the bill: it included a restaurant charge that we didn't quite recall making. Sure, we stayed up a little late at the hotel bistro/bar talking with family, and it was conceivable that we put a charge on our room. We wrote it off, thinking: OK, we probably paid for a small round of drinks with the cousins.

So fast forward to yesterday, and this particular Marriott. Again, friendly staff, clean rooms, met expectations. Had some drinks with our grown-up children before heading for our respective rooms. The next day, an examination of the bill revealed a restaurant charge to the room. This time, we *knew* we had paid cash. I brought it up to the front desk, and the clerk looked into the matter, and advised that she would need to consult with the manager. I said "Fine - but I need to leave within the hour; please resolve this before then."

The charge got rightfully removed, but my suspicious mind started clicking. Did we stumble on:

1. An honest mistake?
2. A deliberate action by some other guest who used our room number? (but I thought staff was supposed to check room number against guest name)
3. An ongoing scam by unscrupulous staff to chisel just a little more from a guest who is obviously on a business expense account?

I truly do not know. But this is something for which we will be watching out from here on. At a Marriott, no less. Truly disturbing. I wonder if I should reassess my patronage of this chain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Audubon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stay at Marriott properties or Hilton depending on the location, need and other factors. both chains seem to be consistent and I usually have no issues. Not this time! This hotel was/ is under construction so all my profile preferences were not available. I booked directly with this hotel and was never made aware. I was placed on the ground floor and was felt like a basement floor in an old apartment building. Lighting was dim, along with the carpet and wallpaper. The lobby was updated but the rooms were not. After I checked in I went down the street and there was a new Marriott property and a new Hilton property. That’s my new spot and the pricing is the same. also the new properties are next to a shopping center with a Starbucks, supermarket, restaurants and more.

Workout equipment was in two seperate small roooms and not upto date. In a dim and remote location.
Not coming back to this hotel location.

Room Tip: go down the street to the other chain or other marriott property
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our hockey team was playing over the weekend in Rockville and we stayed here..Staff and facilities were A+...We had a group rate that included a full breakfast for our team. Will definitely stay here again when traveling in the area.

Room Tip: Hotel is set-up in a U shape..If you are staying and want to be near the lobby and amenities, ask wh...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed at the Marriot Courtyard for a whole week for work. I did not expect much since I didn't plan to be at the hotel much but I was not impressed with the service provided by the front desk. Either they are understaffed or the staff just like to hang out in the back. I came by the front on several occasion and they were not there. I had to wait until someone came out from the back.
It smells funky through out the whole hotel. The only thing I was impressed with was the housekeeping. The ladies were really sweet. I only asked for room cleaning every other day but ladies always leave a bag of toiletries and clean towels in front of my door.

I felt like I was treated rudely because I did not booked directly with Marriot but instead my company booked through a 3rd party website. I understand the hotel does not earn as much when we book through a 3rd party so I usually compare prices and book directly with the hotel itself. But since my company booked this for me, I had no choice. There were at least 3 situation with 3 different staff that told me they could not accommodate my request because I booked through a 3rd party website. Well, honestly that is Marriot's choice of marketing and advertisement. So why is the costumer getting punished for it. Needless to say, I called on my last day to see if I can have a late check out. I have been here for a whole week and I can tell this hotel is pretty much empty and there were barely any cars in the lot all week but after checking my account, they told me I have to check out at 12pm. I guess they notice I was an Expedia costumer.

My co-worker ended up staying down the street at Hilton Garden for the same price and the hotel was much cleaner, very new, better service, and even came with a continental breakfast. Save your self the trouble and just book with another hotel. There are plenty around the area for more bangs for your buck. My stay was extended for 3 more days, so you know where I will be going. Courtyard, if you were nicer about my 3rd party website booking, I would of extended my stay with you. But just too bad that you didn't train your staff to have the same hospitality to all your costumers!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pitman, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stay at this hotel an average of once per month. I visited this hotel in July and the elevator was being repaired and thus not working. I returned last week (August) and the elevator was still not working. Balconies on exterior-facing rooms are unfurnished and dirty. My bathroom had a long black hair on the floor near the bathtub upon check-in. Otherwise...the staff is friendly and helpful, the facilities are nice and the rooms are quiet. Marriott has other properties in the area, as do many of Marriott's competitors. A few tweaks are needed here to improve the competitiveness of this hotel.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms face the quiet courtyard and are furnished. Walk across the street to Thats Amor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was in the area for a weekend training. The hotel was located close to my venue. We reserved two rooms. I did inform the hotel prior to my arrival that I needed adjoining rooms. However the rooms weren't. After speaking to the front desk, they quickly resolved the situation and accommodated us.

The hotel's lobby is very modern and has nice sitting areas. The weekend we were there, there were many teenagers for some type of basketball event. They were hanging out in the lobby and pool. There was enough room for them to hang out and others to enjoy the area.

The rooms were clean and functional. We paid $80 per night which was an excellent deal for any hotel.
I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Check Marriott's website for the best prices.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Rockville? Share your experiences!